Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Aug 2014 @ England, UK
BTW, surely 'Freemo' (after 'Maemo') is a better name for Mer+Hildon than 'NeoFremantle'.

Last edited by Paspie; 2017-08-23 at 12:16.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Paspie For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Paspie View Post
BTW, surely 'Freemo' (after 'Maemo') is a better name for Mer+Hildon than 'NeoFremantle'.
FreeMo. I actually like this.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Looks like it's a very popular name.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I copied the OT discussion about android etc to http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99748

please continue there - I tried hard to decide which posts to move to there instead of copying, but finally found it's best to keep them here and instread ask users to move to the new thread with further replies.

Many thanks for your understanding
jOERG

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
Fraemo

10chars

Phones: Motorola Moto G 2nd gen | Nokia N900
Tablet: Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830
SBC: Raspberry Pi 2

Proud supporter of open source software

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
I have since learned that mer is apparently not the best option, due to being unmaintained and with old packages. I would port OBSD to GTA04 if I could, but I have no Freerunner. As long as the version of Debian that ships can run Hildon on top of it, I'm not too bothered.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paspie For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Paspie View Post
I have since learned that mer is apparently not the best option, due to being unmaintained and with old packages. I would port OBSD to GTA04 if I could, but I have no Freerunner. As long as the version of Debian that ships can run Hildon on top of it, I'm not too bothered.
I am not sold on the fact that it's a problem for the old packages. Especially given that newer packages would more than likely need newer hardware.

So far, has there been anything other than more RAM provided as "new" for the Neo900?

This discussion has gone into odd areas for a device that's yet to be delivered though. So what exactly is important? What may happen or what has happened?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I am not sold on the fact that it's a problem for the old packages. Especially given that newer packages would more than likely need newer hardware.

So far, has there been anything other than more RAM provided as "new" for the Neo900?

This discussion has gone into odd areas for a device that's yet to be delivered though. So what exactly is important? What may happen or what has happened?
There's more than that, there's the 1GHz processor which is...good enough, and there's LTE capability on top of that. And it's about as libre as mobile hardware can get, with the baseband firmware isolated from the CPU. The only trade offs are a slightly thicker phone, they want to put a spacer piece under the bezel to accommodate the parts. The device will also have to run without 3D acceleration.

Once this project is concluded however, the real challenge will be to redesign the N900 and produce a new chassis; the community can't survive on existing chassis' alone.

Last edited by Paspie; 2017-08-25 at 11:19.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paspie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
"the real challenge will be to redesign the N900 and produce a new chassis"

Firstly.

It isn't a "real challenge"
It's been done.

I did it already.

I created a finished n900 tough case in antler.
Did a few other n810 and n900 parts I needed to replace as well...
(I have done for many years now ..and still do... a great deal of my work in resin copies ...)

Then did castings of it.
Then did multiple castings in virtually indestructible resins.
The resins can be given whatever textures and colors one desires...
Even introducing foreign products into the resin as a powder...flaked metals...antler...woods ...stone...gem ...whatever...to give enhanced "feel" and weight to the resin...
It is hard to tell the difference between the resin copy.

It is stupid cheap.
Cheaper than any other production method to date.
(Hmmm....actually 3d printing may be coming close to cheaper...now...but not more durable for sure....)

Chassis is no different than the case.
fine finicky parts not really a challenge.
down to 1/132 of an inch detail can be achieved.
It is just as simple.
As long as the original prototype has been accurately made ...all copies will be identical.

Even did video.
Demonstrating the stress testing of cast resin ...
blunt force ...multiple hits with sledge hammers...
drop tests... from heights exceeding 2 stories....
even crush tests with vehicles running over the examples...
It takes a humongous amount of deliberately applied damage to scar the resin copies even.
The link to the thread is in my signature.

Flat out.

It will not happen.

For the most cost efficient method of virtually indestructible reproduction ....
It garnered ....literally ..zero interest...
in any movement towards implementation for our nxx0 devices then.....

Doubtless it will not get any interest again.

Since then.....I took down the site a month or so ago now...where the videos and downloads were posted ...
after maintaining it for years....
with such a lack of interest...
nxx0 mass parts production does not interest me any longer...
better things to do..
better things to spend my time on.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2017-08-24 at 19:45.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Mate, you completely missed the point. Cool, you crafted a replacement chassis piece for a N900 out of some exotic material. I'm talking about the 'full house': the rubberised plastic back cover, the camera glass protector, the lock switch, the resistive screen assembly. To recreate an entire N900 would be a monumental challenge, but it would eventually be a requirement for the neo900 to reach a broad enough audience, so that economies of scale could make it less expensive per unit in the long run. The project can't survive for long limited to Nokia's parts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paspie For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!