when idle, in use, using 3D acceleration etc.
I'm just thinking about if i had to power it via pedal power or something
just out of curiosity!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
use wiki....

.edit
Letīs put this here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_Power_Consumption

Last edited by slender; 2011-02-18 at 07:09.

Watts per hour?

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by niklot View Post
when idle, in use, using 3D acceleration etc.
I'm just thinking about if i had to power it via pedal power or something
just out of curiosity!
A 5 watt power source can handle your N900. Watts is not measured by the hour. This 5 watt measurement applies only to the state of California,USA, where I live.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Precisely 1.21 gigawatts

My website

GitHub

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
N900 charges from an USB so 2.5 watts (5V, 500 mA). Unless it's way over the limit of good measure, it's under that. Leaving it to bake or running designed benchmarks can put it over that so it relies on battery to provide the rest, but I very much doubt you can push it over that during normal use.

The wall wart goes up to 1000 mA, so that's upwards of 5W, however, I don't think you need that unless you plan on cooking the device.

Non-negotiated USBs deliver 100 mA instead of 500, and, from experience, the phone charges if left locked or simply displaying an image. Navigating the net or playing is more than that so it actually goes down. I'm guessing you need some 200 mA for net, and maybe 400-500 for games?

To suit your needs, charge the battery (1200 mAh) and do what you do normally, see how long it takes to die and plan accordingly. If you kill it full-to-off in 1 hour, that's 4V 1.2 Ah, 4.8 Wh in an hour, that's 950 mA roughly.

Don't think you can kill it in an hour, though.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Germany
I made some measurements with a script which is somewhere around here in this forum. I modified it a little bit.

The basic idea is to load the bp27x00_battery kernel module, poll the current and voltage on the battery from /sys/class/power_supply/bq27200-0, and calculate the actual watt usage by using that the current is measured internally by the voltage drop over an 22 Ohm resistor.

I have installed the power kernel, I undervolted (but not overclocked), and I activated smartreflex VDD1 and VDD2.

Some results:

Idle with locked (black) display uses around 20 mW.
Idle with brightness 1 uses around 300 mW
Idle with brightness 5 uses around 650 mW
Playing video ("Angry Birds cinematic trailer") with brightness 2 uses around 770 mW

This should all be consistent with my normal usage of the device, where I have around 3-4 days until I need to recharge it. (4800 mWh / 4*24 hours = 50 mW on average)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ascag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
wow brightness really effects wattage to bad I love a bright screen