Active Topics

Poll: Have you successfully installed Nitdroid by now?
Poll Options
Have you successfully installed Nitdroid by now?

Originally Posted by jecargo22 View Post
It does seem to work as the phone recognize the usb plugged in, but the computer does not show any disk img, presumably as sdcard is not detected in first instance. I will try your suggestion though.
By the way, posted this using the ics browser from my n900

Browser works great as does vkb. Also I can receive text messages. The hardware keyboard does not fully work though.
Cheers
Try what I said before

"
First I have to start by saying I have NEVER used nitdroid and am no Android expert (the whole "no X server" thing scared me away).

I would try fixing it as follows (and I am assuming the problem is with the whole ICS rootfs rather than your particular installation):
1) Copy the "su" binary from N12
2) Copy the "sudoers.conf" (or whatever) from N12
3) Replace those two files in your install, possibly applying the executable permissions to "su" (chmod 755 /bin/su OR WHATEVER)

Ammyt, it would be great if you answered if the non-sudo problem is with ICS or with his install (i.e. can you do su ).

I hope this is of some help to you, I tried

Good luck and happy new years

EDIT: Oh and install that superuser app thingie from the market, the one that asks you if you want to grant superuser priviledges
"

Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Just a couple of things:

Uptime has been a couple of hours now, but there are some minor annoyances I'd like to get rid off.

1. The notification area in the top, how can I add things to it, like my wifi connection button? (Seen it in my gf's Touch Wizard from Samsung) Right now wifi sometimes just disconnects and it would be nice to reconnect without having to close the window I am working in at that moment.

2. The notification area keeps nagging me about a corrupt SD card, even though I do not have one in my phone.

3. How do I get my music, which, under Maemo, is located under /home/user/MyDocs/Music, to be found by Android?

4. Also under the notification area, there is a message telling me the device is USB connected, even though it isn't. When I do connect my device, Android offers me to make a USB mass storage connection, but fails to do so when I accept the offer. Anyone in the know of how to connect the device to my Linux laptop and allow file operations?

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Just calm down peeps I've got a crapload of posts to reply to.

@Hurrian
Indeed, shifting for u-boot (no more maemo required which could possibly result in a standalone reflashable image with the newest kernel).
http://www.mynokian900.com/2011/12/i...the-nokia-n900

@stryker9
What the hell are you doing to your device man? You don't even have to care about what kind of eMMC image your using if you created a custom mmcblk0p5 partition. What is the size of the new partition created? Just repartition, install KP with multiboot then KP bootimg, then the backupmenu patch. After that, report here to see that everything boots up. I will guide you later on.

@trisha02
Stop whining for God's sake okay? I can see that in 12 posts of you in this "lovely" thread were complaints about accelerometer.
http://www.badlogicgames.com/wordpress/?p=2041
This is an Android issue not a bug in NITDroid, it is a bug in the mother system and in the app itself (motolanescrap or whatever). You see it affects phones with a native landscape orientation (N900), where the app launched still thinks that the phone is in landscape while visually on-screen, everything appears as portrait. Try to play that game while using the regular motion you use for landscape games, I bet that it will work. There is no direct way of manipulating that behavior directly as the Android API does not provide a direct method to detect the native orientation, however, if you got the balls (eggs?) you can manipulate the source code of the app and define getRotation() values and re-sell the fixed-by-trisha02 version and get profit.

@anthonie
*I tried to explain that a thousand craping times, there is only one way to install NITDroid! You just choose an ext3 formatted location to extract the rootFS files and guide multiboot to boot the OS from that location, be it /home, a custom partition, an external ext3-formatted microSD, Britney Spear's head, or my balls (they're ext4 formatted, which works too.)
*Do you want a 10 hour video just like a reality show in my channel just to show you the uptime and stability of NITDroid, cuz I have no objections in doing that and I would actually like it. Until that movie is released, you can check the WIKI page, there are a couple of videos that you can watch.
*You said it that "It kernel panics or just refuses to reboot eight out of ten times" so out of the eight times, as your text indicates, it kernel panics more than one time. Let's not get into a grammar lesson, you know now how installation is done, multiboot --> ext3 space --> NITDroid files over there --> NITDroid kernel --> Profit As my mate said, your processor perhaps is not coping, since the default settings is 500 1150, you can tweak that as I had said in some posts before.

@ibrakalifa
Try it in a separate big partition >=2GB as in the WIKI and it will definitely work.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ London
[QUOTE=pablocrossa;1145128]Try what I said before

Thank you, yeah, I considered your post before, I was just hoping someone with better knowledge than mine to try first and to elaborate more of how to proceed.
I will dig a bit deeper around your suggestion, bearing in mind that I have limited expertise in these matters, but /i have a very curious mind, and I would love to push n900 to its limits and ics might be the top benchmark it could still beat (as we already see how beautifully performance has improved with maemo and cssu, easydeb et al.).
Selfishly speaking (for n900ers), now e-yes is targetting to port nitdroid to n9, so we might have to wait a bit longer to get a fully functional n14package in n900. But yeah, it is worth the effort.
Any hints of how to make sdcard mountable in ICS? Should this be fixed if i try to install nitdroid on the external class 10 MicroSD card? or does it sounds like an unrelated matter?

Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Just a couple of things:

Uptime has been a couple of hours now, but there are some minor annoyances I'd like to get rid off.

1. The notification area in the top, how can I add things to it, like my wifi connection button? (Seen it in my gf's Touch Wizard from Samsung) Right now wifi sometimes just disconnects and it would be nice to reconnect without having to close the window I am working in at that moment.

2. The notification area keeps nagging me about a corrupt SD card, even though I do not have one in my phone.

3. How do I get my music, which, under Maemo, is located under /home/user/MyDocs/Music, to be found by Android?

4. Also under the notification area, there is a message telling me the device is USB connected, even though it isn't. When I do connect my device, Android offers me to make a USB mass storage connection, but fails to do so when I accept the offer. Anyone in the know of how to connect the device to my Linux laptop and allow file operations?
1. Google is your friend.
2. Under Maemo, launch xterm then:
Code:
root
umount /home/user/MyDocs
fsck -a /home/user/MyDocs
reboot
then reboot to NITDroid.
3. Rename the folder .sounds to sounds without the .
4. I am guessing you're running 2.3.7? If yes please reply.

Originally Posted by stryker9 View Post
- Where the HELL is that file..?!?! I wish to be sweet too, very actually.
Of course you won't see it because you didn't mount /and on /home first. You should do that and then proceed with editing that file.
Code:
root
mount /home /and

The Following User Says Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
...Britney Spear's head, or my balls (they're ext4 formatted, which works too.)
My balls are formatted as FAT32

xD

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
*I tried to explain that a thousand craping times, there is only one way to install NITDroid!
Right... Hence the myriad of methods floating around the net or even on this forum. As I said before, I am not in the least interested in a discussion with you. That being said: I would appreciate a change of tone from your side.

Why? Because the first, the second and the third time I asked you about this Nitdroid-thing (about a month ago), you simply assumed at first that I had used the installer version x.27 (without asking for a confirmation whatsoever.). But you insisted installing was a breeze with the automatic installer. And kept insisting. And that, dear Ammyt, just turned out to be nonsense , because fiddling with some config files was an absolute necessity to get this OS running. In short: You failed to provide me with some crucial information and now you want to approach me with an attitude like this? No no sir, you and I are not in a fight with one another. Clear?

I am really happy this Nitdroid is running, and it seems to be running smooth and all. However, that process could have been a lot smoother if you'd care to learn how to document better. Yet you prefer to call a sharing of previous experiences "ranting" and you seem to continue to do so. Stop that, please.

4. I am guessing you're running 2.3.7? If yes please reply
Yes I am running 2.3.7.

Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Right... Hence the myriad of methods floating around the net or even on this forum. As I said before, I am not in the least interested in a discussion with you. That being said: I would appreciate a change of tone from your side.

Why? Because the first, the second and the third time I asked you about this Nitdroid-thing (about a month ago), you simply assumed at first that I had used the installer version x.27 (without asking for a confirmation whatsoever.). But you insisted installing was a breeze with the automatic installer. And kept insisting. And that, dear Ammyt, just turned out to be nonsense , because fiddling with some config files was an absolute necessity to get this OS running. In short: You failed to provide me with some crucial information and now you want to approach me with an attitude like this? No no sir, you and I are not in a fight with one another. Clear?

I am really happy this Nitdroid is running, and it seems to be running smooth and all. However, that process could have been a lot smoother if you'd care to learn how to document better. Yet you prefer to call a sharing of previous experiences "ranting" and you seem to continue to do so. Stop that, please.

Yes I am running 2.3.7.
I was really having some fun arguing witchu you know, but it is becoming personal now. Look honey, the last thing I would ever do is to provide misleading/wrong information and ignoring people asking for help. If I ever did that then it is one of the following three reasons:
*Someone hacked into my account and is replying using my name
*The corresponding thread did not appear on the right bar (I seldom click on "more...")
*I have a life outside

Nevertheless, let's keep this a civilized friendly conversation eh? You have problems, and we should look for answers together. I am saying this with honestly no offense intended at all.
1. You don't read, and this is true.
2. You still don't know how NITDroid is installed
3. You are experiencing instabilities with your device
And I should still point this as a problem:
4. You don't admit that you're wrong, and I hate that, you're stubborn as hell.

So let's get into solutions. Please read this thoroughly.
1. The myriad of posts you're referring to here only vary upon where to install NITDroid. As I said before, all you have to do is extract the rootFS on an ext3/4 partition and point multiboot to that place. The other posts are all about installing NITDroid to an external memory card (3 threads about that matter already.) Well nothing differs except the location, I said that before but this is why I said that you don't read! Secondly, I am not the one to blame on repetitive threads, I have "some" moderator powers but I can't manipulate threads.
2. That is what FAQs are there for. You can see that all issues including your stability issue are answered in the FAQ. I say no nonsense, your issue is related to the fact that NOKIA didn't maintain the same quality of SoCs in all the N900s produced, should I just come over to your and all other N900 users' places and test what frequency works here and what does not? Oh, give me a break, and as said, this was already answered in the FAQ. See what I meant when I said you don't read?
3. You already KNOW! that 2.3.7 is [EXPERIMENTAL]! and we're working our buts off to solve the errors that came with it, including the USB plugged in notification appearing all the time! I was just discussing that with e-yes a couple of days ago, like I said, I have a life.
4. Admit you're wrong now?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Oh and in other news:
Good audio quality during calls now achieved thanks to new libaudio. Microphone audio rooting still broken.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:

Tags
community win, mor*nicindians, nitdroid