Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
we were given ipod touches at work in order to test out an app being developed. After the "cool, shiny!", I then thought, "oh, only 8GB, it's just a cheap gadget". then I checked price and found it wasn't cheap at all.

so then I had to boot windows because it seemed I couldn't get it initialised under linux. then I had to register with itunes, and then they had the temerity to ask for credit card even though I had no intention of buying DRM infested s*** from apple.

I tried doing it without giving apple my credit card, but the app downloader would report invalid login, so I wasted a lot of time on it before I tried app store in itunes app and realised it was that my account wasn't fully set up. I finally succumbed and gave it a credit card, which is due to expire soon. I later removed the card from the itunes/app store account - it said it was optional and I was able to download/install other free apps later.

oh yeah, did I mention that I had to weaken the WPA2 key because even after 8 goes it wouldn't work? it clearly doesn't like punctuation in the key. the nokia tablet had no problem, neither did wpa_supplicant.conf file for zaurus.

I copied on some music, using itunes naturally.

at home I reluctantly booted windows and installed itunes as I thought I might as well put some music on it. then itunes got stuck asking me to turn on/enable genius, so I did, but it kept going back to the genius enable page.

so, finally, I added some music to the library. then I wanted to sync it on. oh no, you can't do that, you can only sync it with one computer at a time!?

OK, it might be crude, but rsyncing on a directory of mp3 files is a piece of p*** by comparison. In the time I have wasted on this POS, I think I could have written a simple webapp which would make choosing music to rsync to the tablet's memory card very easy.

Last edited by speculatrix; 2009-07-03 at 22:01.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Kinda over exaggerated, but yeah. Its a closed, private ecosystem. Either you follow the rules, or you go through hell. And iPod Touch is the worst because it has the App Store. A normal iPod is a little easier because you do not need a credit card, etc...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
I think I could have written a simple webapp which would make choosing music to rsync to the tablet's memory card very easy.
Oh, yes please! An rsync music app would ROCK! Thanks in advance!

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
since I'm on a roll with b1tch1ng, I figured I'd also complain that the device, which is brand new, wasn't up to date with firmware already, but of course it'll cost GB£6 (US$10 ?)

unlike TomTom who promise that brand new devices will get latest map upgrade within 30 days, there's no such mercy with Apple iPod touch. So, I had to, er, find an alternative update process ;-)

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
i was actually going to get an ipod touch until i read about the n810 (thank god) but i was reading along here and i'm not sure what rsync is...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
...i'm not sure what rsync is...:
Ah, but Wikipedia knows.

A wonderful use for the tablets is tapping into that universal consciousness and knowledge base, the Internet, when confronted with an unfamiliar word or concept. Google and Wikipedia often make great starting points in such efforts.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
and after using them ( Google and Wikipedia ) i thought to look to the maemo community for the simple answer, not only what rsync is in "laymens terms sicne we all aren't as technologically inclined", as well as maybe get insight on how it would benefit a inexperienced tablet user, me being a newbie and all.

Thanks,

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
and after using them ( Google and Wikipedia ) i thought to look to the maemo community for the simple answer, not only what rsync is in "laymens terms sicne we all aren't as technologically inclined", as well as maybe get insight on how it would benefit a inexperienced tablet user, me being a newbie and all.
In that case, you'll get better results asking the question you have, rather than asking a vague, alternative question you expect people to somehow guess means something else. So, perhaps:

Originally Posted by Mirror jalladin
I've done a bit of quick reading on rsync, but I don't understand what "file and directory synchronization" means or how such a thing could help.
Well, "file synchronization" means that given a desktop with files A, B, and D and a tablet with files A, B, and C rsync could be used to synchronize the two computers, making sure both have files A, B, C, and D. rsync can do the same with entire directories, and it does its work across the network, so there's no need for a USB connection. The desktop and tablet need not be anywhere near one another, in fact.

Therefore, someone could use rsync as the basis for building a tool that synchronizes audio files, video files, and playlists between a desktop computer and a tablet. An iTunes replacement, of sorts.

Plus, the rsync-besed solution would potentially have the advantage of working anywhere a tablet can get an Internet connection. So, upon emerging from the wilderness after a week of backpacking on another continent, you could find a cafe with WiFi, power up your tablet, and pull in all the podcasts your desktop has downloaded while you were out of touch.

Eh.. Yawn.. Complaining about the touch but using Windows...Yeah..whatever.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Eh.. Yawn.. Complaining about the touch but using Windows...Yeah..whatever.
He did say he used it reluctantly...