Notices

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle
Hi Everyone,

I've searched around for a clock app that I'm specifically looking for, but to no avail. Here's what I'm hoping for, and sorry if this already exists:

When the screen is locked (I have a N810), I would like a clock app that shows a full screen clock when a certain hardware key is pressed. For example, close the keyboard, slide the lock key, and let the LCD turn off. After the screen goes off, you can press say the swap key or the full screen toggle key and a big digital clock display's the time for five seconds, all without having to unlock the device. I think palm's had some feature similar to this.

Is there anything out there like this, or would someone be willing to develop such a thing?

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Oulu, Finland

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to emjayes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
You can install Large Statusbar Clock so it will always show you time guess where

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by emjayes View Post
Making one right now.
thanks emjayes! You'll have to keep us posted of your progress.

joe

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted by wazd View Post
You can install Large Statusbar Clock so it will always show you time guess where
Large Stutusbar Clock is also a good one, but what's being requested is to show the time on the display without unlocking the keys/screen or opening the keyboard.

Originally Posted by emjayes View Post
Making one right now.
With this, will the text be full screen? Or better yet, flip clock style. Everyone seems to like the flip clock style.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
try it:

http://mikie.dy.fi/maemo/lockedclock.install

it's VERY alpha

Sorry, I could only map it to power-button, dbus does not receive other hardkey events when the keyboard is locked.

The display draw is ugly. "Round" numbers (2 3 5 6 8 9 0 ) leave a bit of themselves visible under "sharp" (1 4 7 ) numbers

Hey, I did say it is alpha right? Does the requested job anyway.

I will make the clock disappear if any key is pressed or the keypad lock disabled.
For now it will display the clock for 5 seconds no matter what you do.

Last edited by emjayes; 2008-12-08 at 19:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emjayes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
Large Stutusbar Clock is also a good one, but what's being requested is to show the time on the display without unlocking the keys/screen or opening the keyboard.
This is already possible with powerlaunch, although that is a far-reaching replacement for system functionality perhaps more suited to hackers than endusers. For most, emjayes's app will probably be a much better choice.
With this, will the text be full screen? Or better yet, flip clock style. Everyone seems to like the flip clock style.
I don't, actually! But I would favor full-screen, with the use of any font on the system. I've seen flip-clock and LED fonts before, to say nothing of real fonts like Terminus (Betcha can't guess my preference!), so that might satisfy all parties?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Instead of reinventing the wheel, how hard would it be to use something like mclock instead?
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I installed it. Thanks.

One thing that's kind of annoying (but its alpha, so I'll manage) is the order of events when you hit the power button to show the clock. First it shows the desktop, then shows the time and date, then shows the desktop again for a little bit, darkens the display, then turns off.
Basically it would be nice to go blank screen, clock, blank screen. I'm mostly wanting this to avoid any unnecessary battery loss.

But for now, awesome job.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
On an N800 I get the effect you are looking for if I run one of the attached flash files in full screen before I lock the keys...
Attached Files
File Type: zip clocks.zip (28.8 KB, 100 views)

Tags
clock, screen lock