Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Thanks, I already checked the instructions and mostly I'd like to know where to get the needed materials easiest/cheapest. In addition to the battery it needs the special tape to fix the backplate back to place after the repair. (and possibly the tape which keeps the battery in place, too?)
When I replaced the screen, the kit came with do-it-yourself sticky tape: a bunch of narrow strips that you were to cut yourself to fit. I'd recommend a kit with pre-cut purpose-made adhesive tape if you can find one. My X is all rattly now

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Thanks, I already checked the instructions and mostly I'd like to know where to get the needed materials easiest/cheapest. In addition to the battery it needs the special tape to fix the backplate back to place after the repair. (and possibly the tape which keeps the battery in place, too?)
this?
https://www.ebay.com/p/23017687395?i...73646341&rt=nc
https://www.ebay.com/itm/x5-BACK-BAT...cAAOSwobpevqXi
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-So.../dp/B01IQZ0ZNM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
So I guess you use android apps? I have of course purged all android-related stuff from the device; that helps to get better uptime.

Sure, i can’t do pretty much anything without android apps!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
I've replaced my battery once and screen twice so three back removals, the back cover is still using the original sticky and the battery came with sticky strips attached.

Trying to pry the back off with a fingernail now it's still fitting nice and tight so not moving, possibly helped by living in an official flip case.

Not sure it makes any difference but mine's a Brazilian dual sim so maybe it has better glue to deal with the heat than Rob's?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
FWIW I made several replacements of batteries and screens for smartphones (HTC, Xiaomi...), not yet for Sony, though.

My comments:

I usually buy the components in Aliexpress but this is just a matter of habits. Note that receiving items from Aliexpress can take quite a long time.

Do not buy the cheapest component (or the most expensive one...) and avoid the batteries which indicates higher capacity than the standard one. This is just marketing and maybe a sign of not so serious seller.

I bought several tools like these for opening the casing:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33052488276.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000067505530.html
But finally I do not use them, I use plastic collected from packaging instead. Being soft, this has the advantage of not damaging the casing. You can use playing cards as well.

Not having the specific adhesive for reinstalling the back plate is not a problem, I use double sided sticky adhesive, about 2mm wide. For example this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32851454528.html
In some places (below the battery, etc), you can put several layers, one next to the other.

Do not overheat the back plate with the hair dryer, you should always be able to touch the parts with bare hands.

Allow plenty of time for doing this, don't do this in a hurry. The first step (removing the back plate) can take 10 minutes or more...

Watch several tutorials and don't start until you're comfortable with the sequence of operations.

Good luck

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Hi

I'm looking to buy a Sony X battery in the UK. Does anyone have any recommended places to buy? Any recommend ebay stores?

Rich

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Hi

I'm looking to buy a Sony X battery in the UK. Does anyone have any recommended places to buy? Any recommend ebay stores?

Rich
Hi Rich

This is the one I've been using for over a year, don't think it's genuine but it's not given me any problems. Assuming they're still the same that is.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
In addition to the battery it needs the special tape to fix the backplate back to place after the repair. (and possibly the tape which keeps the battery in place, too?)
I just used whatever I found around the house.

I did not happen to have proper double-sided tape, so to keep the battery back in place, I used one pre-cut to small squares (about 8x8 mm), designed to stick pictures in frames. Similar to this one. I used four squares, one in each corner. It holds fine.

I did not bother with the backplate at all. Whatever sticky magic they used still holds even after a second battery replacement. It is possible that my usage pattern (keeping it in a flip case and playing an Android game that can get the phone quite hot) helps

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Hi

Has anyone replaced the micro-usb port on the Sony X? The charging cable is loose and can easily fall out on mine.

I'm considering changing battery and micro-usb port at the same time. Or leaving it as is and getting a new phone when it finally packs up.

Rich

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Hi

Has anyone replaced the micro-usb port on the Sony X? The charging cable is loose and can easily fall out on mine.

I'm considering changing battery and micro-usb port at the same time. Or leaving it as is and getting a new phone when it finally packs up.

Rich
I did and it is very easy to do
USB port is apart from main board

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x