OK, so here are what I have working so far on my n800 (os2007):
Wordsmith v2.2.26
Datebk5 v5.4a, s6
HanDBase v3.0k
Rummy v3.3 (Seahorse Software)
Rally1000 v4.2

The hard part was to get an initial hotsync so I could get my hotsync ID onto the VM (needed for program registration). Renamed my old backup directory with all the apps in it and made a new one on my PC. Once the hotsync ID went in, I found it easy to use Filez on my old Palm to send the .prc's and .pdb's via bluetooth to the N800's external card, install from there into the VM, run the apps and re-enter the reg codes.

Only problem is that alarms crash the apps (I posted this in another thread).

Anybody have a good way to backup this stuff in case of disastrous crashes etc?

EDIT: Since I posted this I have upgraded my n800 to os2008, so I'm now running the n810 GVM on it, along with the apps mentioned above!

Last edited by ArgentSilver; 2008-01-15 at 23:18.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
The vm should host the virtual filesystem in a regular file on the nokia. Don't ask me where though.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
The vm should host the virtual filesystem in a regular file on the nokia. Don't ask me where though.
Seems like this may be in /home/user/.gvm, and I'm finding problems with getting the VM to hotsync, so this might be the only good way to back up the info contained in the VM.

It definitely acts like a Beta release!

So far i did not found any use to the GVM.

Yes, DateBk5 runs but without alarms and good hotsync it is not the same.

Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
So far i did not found any use to the GVM.

Yes, DateBk5 runs but without alarms and good hotsync it is not the same.
I agree the problems with sound detract from the GVM, I already reported that to Access and requested a fix (after all, this is beta software... it's likely to have some problems).

But I'll tell you a couple of things the GVM is good for: it has a very good contact manager that is so lacking on the Nokia tablets. Another thing is that it runs HanDBase which is a very good and easy to use database app, which is also seemingly impossible to find for the tablets. So the GVM is already filling a large hole by opening up much more functionality than the tablets had before! If they fix the sound problems it will be damn near perfect and hugely useful!

agree with the Contacts app. i transferred the several address pdb files instead of Hotsincing

Originally Posted by ArgentSilver View Post
OK, so here are what I have working so far on my n800 (os2007):
Wordsmith v2.2.26
Datebk5 v5.4a, s6
HanDBase v3.0k
Rummy v3.3 (Seahorse Software)
Rally1000 v4.2

Anybody have a good way to backup this stuff in case of disastrous crashes etc?
I loaded Rally after reading this post a while back. A couple of times I have crashed the palm screen part of garnet vm, but garnet itself did not crash. It seems to be something to do with a sound that Rally makes on occasion. I have turned off all sounds in the general preferences.

Anyway, Rally is one of my old favorites. Have you had trouble with crashing?

Originally Posted by kady View Post
I loaded Rally after reading this post a while back. A couple of times I have crashed the palm screen part of garnet vm, but garnet itself did not crash. It seems to be something to do with a sound that Rally makes on occasion. I have turned off all sounds in the general preferences.

Anyway, Rally is one of my old favorites. Have you had trouble with crashing?
Not specifically with Rally. The sound issue seems to be what causes this problem. Before I turned off the sounds, ANY app. that generated sound could have it happen. I've reported this as a bug to Access, so I hope they'll fix it. I use the GVM every day (Contacts and HanDBase), and this is the only serious problem that I see.

Tags
garnet, palm