I haven't done much with it really (this was last night). Seems to be very responsive and the bling is nice (not e17 though). Now I'm working on tweaking it so it's better fitted to the IT (larger fonts, etc.).

Cheers!

U

I just realised that there are debian packages for e16 et al. Compiling it and testing it was still fun though.

U

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Bulgaria - Vidin
Yeah I knew there is e16 in the repos but I haven't tried it. Btw does e16 have control panel like e17? I can remember there were good configuration options for keybindings and other cool stuff.

e16keyedit and e16menuedit are also available as packages.

Not sure about the kind of keybindings you'd use though.

U

Just a quick comment, I will also cross post on the debian on the n800. I got e17 working (wahey!) and it works pretty fast (if you compile with optimisations and all).

I will try to either upload an image or post a howto to get e17 (and possibly others) on the 770.

Cheerio!

U

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
Originally Posted by ulises View Post
Just a quick comment, I will also cross post on the debian on the n800. I got e17 working (wahey!) and it works pretty fast (if you compile with optimisations and all).

I will try to either upload an image or post a howto to get e17 (and possibly others) on the 770.

Cheerio!

U
yes - please post for the 770
thanks.

Regarding the installation size: original maemo has started out as Debian sid as well (see /etc/debian_version on maemo) and yet a maemo 2006 rootfs.jffs2 weighs just 57 MB, compared to 268 MB of my Debian armel rootfs.

I think it's a matter of introducing busybox and recompiling most packages with such configure options that they'd be the smallest possible. It will reduce the number of dependencies as well. As far as I know Debian sid armel offers vanilla packages and we definitely need some size optimization. Then again, it would break the binary compatibility with Debian armel repos

By the way, what do you use as a web browser? Dillo is definitely no match for MicroB after all and neither Kazehakase nor Midori work reasonably on my n770. I wouldn't even attempt IceWeasel, so...

As a side note: I have a really strange issue with the system clock while performing massive apt-get updates and/or installs in Debian armel. It just randomly goes back to the beginnings of Unix time i.e. 1970

Also, if you just feel like playing around with different window managers you can do what I've done previously ---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/2254523...7603649694490/

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Try epiphany-webkit. The version in Debian is somewhat older, but it's pretty fast. You might need swap to use it on a 770 though. :/

I've seen situations where the clock goes back to 1970 at boot on many different systems, but never while the system is running. O_o That sounds really strange...

I think the following link/forum can be helpful

http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showforum=155

instead of inventing the wheel new .

Keep up good work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Modulok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Bulgaria - Vidin
Amazed to hear that e17 is working. Just anticipating Ulises to post instructions or tarball.
Clock is fixed now and some other bugs. I'm planning to upload a new archive with e17 as well.
Cheers

Last edited by apple2; 2008-03-01 at 14:56.