Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
Anyone uses it on n950 as well
Well, I do not have access to a N950 so I cannot say for sure, but Faenil promised to try it and report back to me.

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
would an installer app be useful ?
I thought about that, and it is possible. Preparing the partition for ubiboot FS and copying the files there is trivial and even flashing the boot kernel can be done from the commandline, hence it's not difficult to make it into a deb.

However, I think this is pretty advanced stuff, making it into a clickable install packet might encourage people to try it without understanding WHAT they are doing. Especially as you need to tune the "/etc/boot.conf" according to your available kernels. This way at least you need just a bit of command line knowledge to install it.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
Tested on N950. i had to modify

its cool i haven't tested other os as yet thou.

the symlink on the folders so

Code:
cd /mnt/boot
rm -Rf Harmattan 
mkdir Harmattan
cd Harmattan
mkdir boot
then copy kernel into /mnt/boot/Harmattan/boot

note:my kernel was named openkernel i renamed it to 2.6.32.54-dfl61-20121301 if that matter..

then
Code:
uname -r
which echoed
Code:
2.6.32.54-dfl61-20121301
then edit /mnt/etc/boot.conf
to reflect what uname echoed

My"Current Project(s)":
[Resurrecting] DON

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humble For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by humble View Post
Tested on N950. i had to modify

its cool i haven't tested other os as yet thou.

the symlink on the folders so

Code:
cd /mnt/boot
rm -Rf Harmattan 
mkdir Harmattan
cd Harmattan
mkdir boot
then copy kernel into /mnt/boot/Harmattan/boot
The symlinks in /boot/ of the ubifs partition point to "nothing" when you are running Harmattan and have mounted the ubifs partition under /mnt/ directory

Only when you boot up the device from the mnt4 partition and the init script mounts your "/dev/mmcblk0p2/" into "/mnt/2", then will the symlink "/boot/Harmattan->/mnt/2/" point to the real place, which is "/boot/" of your Harmattan root partition

Why I did it like this, I wanted to enable people to just create a /boot/ directory on the Harmattan rootfs, and copy kernel there instead of copying it on the ubiboot FS.

For functionality of course, it does not matter where you keep the kernels as long as they are somewhere where ubiboot kan see them

The important thing is to have the modules in the correct place for the booting 2nd level kernel to find them, which means "/lib/modules/" of the Harmattan root FS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have not encountered that kind of behaviour myself. Either the 2nd level kernel boots correctly or fails, and if it fails then it fails every time until the problem that causes it is corrected.
After power-cycling a few times, I believe the issue is due to the watchdog not properly starting (or not starting fast enough) after kexec(); likely due to the disabled L2 cache.

The Nokia logo does show, but it never gets to the pulsing animation when it'll decide to go rebooting.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
After power-cycling a few times, I believe the issue is due to the watchdog not properly starting (or not starting fast enough) after kexec(); likely due to the disabled L2 cache.

The Nokia logo does show, but it never gets to the pulsing animation when it'll decide to go rebooting.
I have noticed that, for example when I boot up Harmattan using the Nitdroid kernel (zImage.pr13) it is really laggy for the first minute or so. The booting takes a long time, the spinner just keeps on spinning. Nitdroid, however starts up quite quickly. (and if the L2 cache control was patched in, would propably start up even faster)

However, for me there has never been any failures to boot, on non-patched kernels it just takes a bit longer.

I wonder if there is some installed application that theyosh has that might complain about longer boot time, which would then cause the failure.

It seems I need to put up a patched kernel to ubiboot page for people who do not want to compile it for themselves.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post

That is exactly what I experience. When I reboot my phone, the ubiboot is loaded. I choose the Harmatten system with the normal openmode kernel. The phone tries to start and shows the nokia logo. But after a while it reboots and I get back in the ubiboot menu.

Again I choose the same OS, it starts. So it takes now two times to start. And the first time it stops at the point where the nokia logo should pulse / show the water drops.

dmesg output attached.

More tests tomorrow I think. Rebooting does take some time....
Attached Files
File Type: zip dmesg.txt.zip (8.0 KB, 547 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to theyosh For This Useful Post:
I have updated the README file to deal with the issue of L2 cache initialization in Harmattan boot.

The fix is to use the provided zImage_2.6.32.54-openmode_l2fix as the harmattan boot kernel. It is a module-compatible drop-in replacement for the vanilla aegis-neutered openmode kernel that has the L2 cache issue fixed. The patch is included as openmode_l2fix.patch

theyosh, please test your harmattan boot using the patched kernel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Vietnam
Thanks for useful app, anyone try with backupmenu N9?

Originally Posted by lbee View Post
Thanks for useful app, anyone try with backupmenu N9?
farfary is going to update the BackupMenu N9 to a new version, he was just waiting for me to release this version of ubiboot so that the SW's are compatible.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 326 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Italy
Since it is necessary to flash the device with another kernel than the vanilla, also with these ones, ubiboot or l2fix patched, there are the usual OpenMode kernel bugs, like crashing when you install apps, etc..?

Last edited by death_jax; 2013-03-03 at 12:32.