Closed Thread
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Not much from the list was really answered in the SDK presentation. Let's decide what to do with it now.
But it was clearly highlighted,that everything is open source, so that everyone can build to fit his needs... wasn't it?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
nope the ui is still under discussion internally whether to make it open source or not...

Sailfish OS may be open source but the product that ends up on Jolla phones will have closed bits...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
nope the ui is still under discussion internally whether to make it open source or not...

Sailfish OS may be open source but the product that ends up on Jolla phones will have closed bits...
Hm ok, this is what is discussed in this forum atm, but did you watch the SDK presentation this morning? This british guy emphasized that as good as everything is open source...

OS = DO
CS = REDO

/* or something like that */

Last edited by Leinad; 2012-11-23 at 01:21.

It's under discussion according to Stskeeps. We'll have to wait until they'll announce how exactly UI will be licensed.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
Hm ok, this is what is discussed in this forum atm, but did you watch the SDK presentation this morning? This british guy emphasized that as good as everything is open source...

OS = DO
CS = REDO

yes i watched all the presentations as well as was on #jollamobile for the last 2 days. what i posted is what i gathered from the presentations and irc.

i really want them to do well but i have a few questions which i will add later today to the doc which fill me with doubt on their proclaimations...

even the jolla binaries for qt creator have not been decided to be open source or not; they say mer and nemo are but for jolla binaries they are having internal discussions...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I have a question. Weren't they making another OS during the summer or something? Like one OS for the enthusiasts and another for like everyone else (AKA Sailfish). Anyone can recall? Or maybe I might be wrong.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
I have a question. Weren't they making another OS during the summer or something? Like one OS for the enthusiasts and another for like everyone else (AKA Sailfish). Anyone can recall? Or maybe I might be wrong.
That other OS would be Nemo, both are based on Mer.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
That other OS would be Nemo, both are based on Mer.
Nemo isn't theirs though, I thought it was another OS made by them (maybe based on nemo).

PS: I'm just wondering because Sailfish didn't give me the hype. I just hope the other OS will be like hildon.

Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
Nemo isn't theirs though, I thought it was another OS made by them (maybe based on nemo).

PS: I'm just wondering because Sailfish didn't give me the hype. I just hope the other OS will be like hildon.
I can't remember anything about 2 OS from Jolla... maybe you mix this up with Nokia:
- Meego / Maemo / Harmattan for High-End
- Meltemi for Low-End

Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
I can't remember anything about 2 OS from Jolla... maybe you mix this up with Nokia:
- Meego / Maemo / Harmattan for High-End
- Meltemi for Low-End
I am sure I didn't mix it up with Nokia but I might be wrong. I just wanted to know and thoughts from TMO.

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open