I've noted from searches that others have problems pairing their SU-8W keyboards and some do not. I upgraded my N800 a few days ago, and try as I might, I can't get it to pair with my keyboard.

Just please check my work:
1- Power up the keyboard
2- Run "Bluetooth Keyboard" from control panel
3- Select "Pair" (it finds the keyboard)
4- Select the keyboard, OK
5- N800 gives me a passcode. Type it on the keyboard with no function key, then hit enter
6- Tap OK

Over and over and over. Power the keyboard off and on, select the applet in different sequences. Still get "Pairing Failed".

Any ideas anyone? Is there any chance of some command line function that I might use, or perhaps a config file that I can just manually hack from Xterm?

You need to hit OK in the dialog _before_ you enter the code:

1- Power up the keyboard
2- Run "Bluetooth Keyboard" from control panel
3- Select "Pair" (it finds the keyboard)
4- Select the keyboard, OK
5- N800 gives me a passcode
6 - Press OK in the dialog
7 - Wait for the Fn led on the SU-8W to light up
8 - Enter the code on the keyboard (with no function key), hit enter
(9 - The dialog is automatically dismissed when you hit enter on the BT keyboard)

Ahhh, but when I do that, I get "Pairing Failed" immediately - it doesn't even wait half a second.

Just a guess here. Try hitting "OK" after the Nokia gives you the passcode, THEN type the code on the keyboard and press "Enter". From your description of the sequenc you followed, it's not clear that the Nokia was "listening" for the pairing code when you typed it on the keyboard.

I guess I've got some sort of hardware or software problem, then. It is clearly logical that the system should wait for me to put in the passcode, but in my case the IT doesn't wait for it - it just goes immediately to "Pairing Failed".

Humm, now I need a way to troubleshoot...

Have you tried resetting the SU-8W, by pressing and holding the two blue keys at the right side (envelope and sync icons) for about 30 seconds until the leds at the top start to alternate (looks completely different from the regular short blinks you see when it's powered on or accepting a connection).

As you've previously paired the keyboard to the N800, the keyboard still remembers the N800's Bluetooth address and key but the N800 doesn't remember the keyboard after the reinstall, and this could cause some problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerro For This Useful Post:
Thanks, that's good information to know!

Reset works as you described, but unfortunately still no joy on pairing.

Off to look in /etc for something that might look familiar

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
After nokia shows code at its screen. (+other information, you can change code/setting etc), you enter code with keyboard and press enter at keyboard many times..

It did work for me. I got few thanks so I guess it did work for others too

Sigh.... still nothing. Anyone want a keyboard?

I loaded hcidump and tried to see what the IT was seeing. Didn't help much.

Doubt this will change anything, but I'll run down to the shop and get new batteries. Since the keyboard is clearly found by the IT, and the LEDs work, I doubt this is the problem.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Some people have told that pairing would/might work, if you flash OS2008, dont restore backup and pair keyboard.