Originally Posted by bmstrong View Post
Not trying to pick a fight but wasn't that more of Bill's direction and vision of Microsoft more than Balmer? I tend to think of them, now, as second place nannies and humble pie.

(I agree that any for profit company is only interested in themselves and by default "evil".)
As an example of how MS wiped out competition unfairly it used to insist (back in the days when there was still competition) that any manufacturer who wants to package its OS (Windows or MSDOS) drop other competing OS.

I doubt Microsoft's culture of suppressing competition has changed whether Bill or Balmer is in charge. Look at poor Nokia. It has to drop all other platforms and focus on WP7 although it makes sense for Nokia to be multiplatform.

I shudder to think what will happen if MS gets to dominate smartphones OS. We'll probably be forced to pay for upgrades to a bloated, buggy, virus and malware infested OS every quarter.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eerde View Post
Front-Facing Camera works with srd party software, like simple mirror.
PR 1.2 will bring Skype with ffc.
who told you about or what's the source that says pr1.2 will bring Skype with video call?

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
Originally Posted by isfr21 View Post
Wait...The FFC works? How?? Is it implemented in camera-ui?
PR1.2 adds tons of new features

Below is the full change-log of the update:
• Software update notifications for content in Nokia Store
• Face recognition for gallery and face tags for Facebook
• Support for folders in the application view
• Mail thread support in the Email client
• Extended copy-paste support
• Media sharing with DLNA compatible devices
• Compass support in Maps
• New font taken into use
Front camera support
• Video editing support in the Gallery application
• Separate switch for controlling mobile background connections while roaming
• Camera: self timer, grid on/off control
• Clock alarm becomes silent by flipping the device face down instead of snoozing
• People view added to the grid toolbar in the gallery
• Audiobook and podcast support in the music player
• Ability to create playlists in the music player
• Ability to delete music files from music player library views via object menu

Ref: http://techie-buzz.com/mobile-news/n...-features.html

The Following User Says Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
As an example of how MS wiped out competition unfairly it used to insist (back in the days when there was still competition) that any manufacturer who wants to package its OS (Windows or MSDOS) drop other competing OS.

I doubt Microsoft's culture of suppressing competition has changed whether Bill or Balmer is in charge. Look at poor Nokia. It has to drop all other platforms and focus on WP7 although it makes sense for Nokia to be multiplatform.

I shudder to think what will happen if MS gets to dominate smartphones OS. We'll probably be forced to pay for upgrades to a bloated, buggy, virus and malware infested OS every quarter.
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise...et-bill-gates/

Weird that this article would be posted this morning while we are talking about this. My point is that every company, even Nokia and Nokia of old or new, is only after a profit. Everything else is secondary but that also doen't mean things are black and white. I teld to view them as grey.

ordered the lumia 800 through welectronics.com and it will be here tomorrow.

530$ shipped overnight.

i will post pictures and in depth, review upon appropriate use

Originally Posted by bmstrong View Post
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise...et-bill-gates/

Weird that this article would be posted this morning while we are talking about this. My point is that every company, even Nokia and Nokia of old or new, is only after a profit. Everything else is secondary but that also doen't mean things are black and white. I teld to view them as grey.
I usually prefer a more nuanced view. If you define the goals of a company as the goals of people working for that company, then a company like Nokia is definitely NOT only after money (at least I hope not). I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of people with passion for hardware design, software development, UI design, and the desire to literally change the world by "connecting people".
This is the case in a lot of companies, not just tech-related (but new tech often does change the way we live our lives).
And imho the most important parts of a company are the combined goals and capabilities of the people working for it, not the money, brand-image, patents or even the products. The products define the company's past, the people its future.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Said it before and will say it again - Lumia is only good for spare parts.
Not that the N9 is a gem itself.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
If you define the goals of a company as the goals of people working for that company, then a company like Nokia is definitely NOT only after money (at least I hope not)..
I think the goals of a company are those of it's shareholders, not it's employees. After all, it's the shareholders that own the company. If the senior employees' goals fall out of step with those of the shareholders, those senior employees will usually find themselves out of a job (with a generous severance package of course).

My website

GitHub

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
It depends what do you want with your device. if you need MfE, access to office docs, notes app and such, lumia will make your day out of the box. But any other approach to task switching outside Harmattan is utter crap at the moment... buttons... in touch screen device... come on!

And don't start telling me "ther is an app for that". Good luck finding the right apps from the huge pile of sh*t offered from marketplaces without long trial and error experiments... (I can has a rss reader - ovi store...)

e: this opinion is with lumia800 (latest battery firmware updates) and n950 beta pr 1.2
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2012-01-30 at 17:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Showed my n9 to my father recently, I told him he should consider to buy the wp7 version since meego is a dead end. He lost interest though when I told him it does not have swipe. Somehow he was totally into swipe after a few minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post: