Originally Posted by cuckoo
I've only had my 770 for like a day, but so far, i'm not too impressed. It's not that fast, it's actually quite sluggish.

All of the apps have crashed on me more than once.

Configuring my ISP's IMAP system doens't work at all, it sometimes shows messages, but most of the time just an empty mailbox.

And it loses my wifi connection every 2 minutes (apple airport extreme)

when opening a lot of webpages (with only the browser open) it warns me for low memory

and i've already check, but got the latest os....

if i could, i'd give it back and ask for my cash....
I am sure glad I cancelled my order. The 770 sounds like it still needs some work!

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by TripleNickle
I am sure glad I cancelled my order. The 770 sounds like it still needs some work!
I just spent a couple of minutes reviewing your posts - all 79 of them. You haven't really contributed anything to ITT as far as useful information goes. Your comments amount to little more than a diary of an "Apple Whore", as you call yourself, somehone who somehow enjoys whining about the efforts of Nokia, Maemo and the rest of us in building a 770 community here, yet is too lazy to whine about it by writing more than 25 words at a time.

I don't like negativity and I don't like whiners. Many people have posted here at ITT and have given the ITT readership a lot of valuable help. I would like to suggest to you that since you don't have a 770 and have no intention of getting one any time soon that you just stop posting any more of the same old useless, irrelevant messages that you've posted here by the score. Really, when you get a 770 and you have something of value to share, then share it. Until then, do the rest of us all a big favor and STFU (stop the flavorless utterances).

Originally Posted by Remote User
I just spent a couple of minutes reviewing your posts - all 79 of them. You haven't really contributed anything to ITT as far as useful information goes. Your comments amount to little more than a diary of an "Apple Whore", as you call yourself, somehone who somehow enjoys whining about the efforts of Nokia, Maemo and the rest of us in building a 770 community here, yet is too lazy to whine about it by writing more than 25 words at a time.

I don't like negativity and I don't like whiners. Many people have posted here at ITT and have given the ITT readership a lot of valuable help. I would like to suggest to you that since you don't have a 770 and have no intention of getting one any time soon that you just stop posting any more of the same old useless, irrelevant messages that you've posted here by the score. Really, when you get a 770 and you have something of value to share, then share it. Until then, do the rest of us all a big favor and STFU (stop the flavorless utterances).
Thank you for your expert analysis...

Last edited by TripleNickle; 2005-11-25 at 04:42.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Midlands, UK
Originally Posted by TripleNickle
Thank you for your expert analysis...
I've got to say that, looking at both your posts and RemoteUsers, I agree with him. He's here to explore the potential of a new product which he seems to be well placed to talk about (not an "authority" argument, merely looking at publically available facts), whereas you seem to have moved from "I want one" to "I can't be arsed to wait" through "I've cancelled my order" and now ending up with "I haven't got one, but don't they suck?".

Look at the site's name. When you got something to *add* to a discussion about the N770, do let me know. 'Til then, you're on my ignore list. For others with similar feelings, it's located on your "User CP" page, under the "Misc" options.

HAND,
jc

PS The impossibility of the request in the last paragraph is not unintentional

All of the apps have crashed on me more than once.
Really, all of them? Even chess? Browser sometimes crashes, sometimes news reader. It isn't the most stable os I have seen(Linux inside, what can you expect ), but all of the apps crashing, there must be something wrong with your 770.

when opening a lot of webpages (with only the browser open) it warns me for low memory
Close extra browser windows, when you don't need them. In my experience three concurrent browser windows is maximum memory can handle.

if i could, i'd give it back and ask for my cash....
Wasn't there a disclaimer on Nokia's 770 buy page something like "If you are not satisfied with your Nokia 770, 30-day cashback etc." Ask Nokia, maybe you can.

Disconnecting WLAN seems to release 'events/0' command from hogging all the cpu resources. There are more WLAN related serious problems than anything else in 770 (disconnects, wpa, sluggishness etc.), but after browsing bugzilla there might be hope soon!
Source:
https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=192
Last line dated 2005-11-21 :
"There will be a new release available within few days. It has a working WiFi."

I hope it fixes these issues and that they release it soon to us end-users also!

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Titus
Disconnecting WLAN seems to release 'events/0' command from hogging all the cpu resources. There are more WLAN related serious problems than anything else in 770 (disconnects, wpa, sluggishness etc.), but after browsing bugzilla there might be hope soon!
Source:
https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=192
Last line dated 2005-11-21 :
"There will be a new release available within few days. It has a working WiFi."

I hope it fixes these issues and that they release it soon to us end-users also!
Let's hope so. Today somehow the device has a better day....

I do believe it has to have a fair chance in performing, i consider the current OS as a beta (for what it's worth). I hope some of my gripes are addressed in the q1 2006 OS. We'll see.

There are a few things which isappoint me, but given time i hope somebody will write a little app or nokia will update the os..

For instance, i'd love if the device itself would more easaly switch connections. That the user can define the priority (first try WLAN then GSM) without me telling it to switch.

And what i really miss is, i haven't figured out how i can browse the 770 from my laptop with bluetooth, it would be great if i could transfer files from laptop to 770 and vise versa...

Sorry about my sour post yesterday, was having quite an off-day, i'll stick to it a while longer...

Yeah, news reader is the big culprit for me. I use it a lot (in fact I didn't "get" RSS until I started using it on the 770) and often spawns more processes which aren't terminated. "kill" is your friend (what's the usage for killall btw, can't get it to work, e.g. "killall rss" doesn't find any processes to kill?).

Let's hope so. Today somehow the device has a better day....
Bizarrely my device "seemed" to get better as the days went by, perhaps some kinda bell curve with the components... or sun spots

I don't expect the 770 to be perfect, or even near it. It's the same with my SX1 phone. I brought that when it first came out a couple of years ago (had to get it shipped from Germany) and there was the odd problem, but as an early adopter tech companies know such users can fix their own problems.

TripleNickle's comments remind me a little of my experience of PC games forums. I moderate one large one for a football manager game and also browse the Civ4 ones regularly, in all cases issues with products become almost self fulfilling prophecies - people without problems mystically start experiencing things others post about that they hadn't seen before, people start saying the game is rubbish basing their opinion on others' posts, aspects of the game even start being labelled "bugs" when they are nothing of the sort and are informed more of the user's ignorance than anything else.

Of course, the actual consumers have a right to support and the like, as they should receive the product they paid for. This will come with patches etc. But the reality is that as products become more complex they become harder to test and the economics involved suggest releasing the product can be advantageous as you instantly have a large user base which can file reports and the product can be improved.

Some might take offence at this, but they are not early adopters because they don't understand the "responsibility" (if you will) that comes with such a title.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I my opinion, "early adopter" is marketingspeak for "suckers who will give good money for anything. as long as they're first".

I don't mind doing that for a softdrink, but I'm not prepared to pay someone to test their beta-quality computer hardware. That's Microsoft's way of doing "business".

So Nokia, call me when you've got your 770 act together...