Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post

This page shows all tweets that contain both the words "Symbian" and "suck". It's a decent amount.
That's a hilarious website, but needs a lot of improvement. It does not provide a count of hits, which would be really useful.

If you "suck-search" for Symbian, you get hits. The first one is from about 17 hours ago, the last one on the first page is from Feb 10th 10:49pm.

Now, if we do an Android "suck-search", the first tweet is from 30 minutes ago and the last tweet on the first page is about 11 hours ago.

This seems to indicate that Android sucks much more than Symbian.

Further research shows:
- Iphone sucks as much as Android
- HTC sucks less than Symbian

But the winners are:
- WP7 does not suck at all

and most importantly:
- cBeam does not suck either!

Thanks, alcalde, for this entertaining site!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cBeam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
e: hint: s^3 was getting affordable in the eyes of 4 billion people. Your america has 0,35 billion people....

ee: and this is what symbian is fighting against there:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/28/htc-wildfire-review/
1. Android is also beginning to find itself in very cheap Chinese handsets as Elop mentioned.

2. Awww... the HTC Wildfire! I wished that came to America; I thought it was the perfect little baby Android phone for my mother.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
...and most importantly:
- cBeam does not suck either!

Thanks, alcalde, for this entertaining site!
I was going to say that cBeam has just shown me how much more of an expert at sucking he is than me!

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I was going to say that cBeam has just shown me how much more of an expert at sucking he is than me!
>>> busy searching if alcalde sucks <<<

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
1. Android is also beginning to find itself in very cheap Chinese handsets as Elop mentioned.

2. Awww... the HTC Wildfire! I wished that came to America; I thought it was the perfect little baby Android phone for my mother.
1. but still those cheap Chinese handsets have pretty high specs (ZTE Blade ~= N900), unlike wildfire = room for competition with price by lower hw requirements.

2. do not ever never go even near of Wildfire, I'd have to consider a lot between selling my mother as a slave and buying her a wildfire...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Please don't ask for explanations, as it involves the use of something called the Nokianomicon.... [Unless you're a Lovecraft fan, you won't get it.]
Oh, but you'd first have to define what Nokianomicon is, unless you are thinking of cryptic WONTFIX reports from the Nokia's Book of Magic Bugs. Or are you trying to imply that Nokia is now, how shall I put it, Necro? Even if so, I can't find the leter 'e' in both Microsoft or Nokia, thus making it a lousy joint abbreviation of their respective names.
[No, I'm not a Lovecraft fan, really]

However, me explaining how yielding to the masses of magpies is strategically wrong and how it presents a crime against technology, and humanity by extension, would be nothing short of a masterpiece essay worthy of one Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings' signature. I'm pretty sure, should I write it here, that I'd effectively decimate Maemo/MeeGo supporters much better than Nokia could ever do. Elop might even hire me as a hitman. Hmmm, I should buy some stocks

Now, back to the topic, where were we?

I said meego would suck as from day one. but no one would listen. it looks like a childish learn platform with these rediculous puppets as logo. its insane! its a good thing nokia didn't put that garbage on all their "high end phones"

Im not sure windows phone 7 will save them... its both terrible... they really should have builded further on maemo 5, upgrading it instead of building yet another whole new system...

The Following User Says Thank You to sygys For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sygys View Post
I said meego would suck as from day one. but no one would listen. it looks like a childish learn platform with these rediculous puppets as logo. its insane! its a good thing nokia didn't put that garbage on all their "high end phones"

Im not sure windows phone 7 will save them... its both terrible... they really should have builded further on maemo 5, upgrading it instead of building yet another whole new system...
You seem to be pretty insightful!

Interesting analyze. Tell us more! Could you give any hints about what else is childish.

I would highly appreciate your golden hints!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sygys View Post
I said meego would suck as from day one. but no one would listen.
shame that it was scrapped before you could prove your point....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Rather well, actually, all told. It was the reverse engineering and other loss of control that allowed other manufacturers to make PC clones and undercut IBM. OS/2's another story, but that's not what caused IBM to exit the market. IBM PC-compatible computers running a Microsoft operating system still rule the business and home computer markets. Lenovo bought IBM's laptop computer business and it's still a respected business laptop brand.
Gates essentially bought QDOS from a corporation, and as far as I understood it he only had to port it. And then, once MSDOS has marketshare, he made sure every IBM clone had to run Microsoft OS via all kind of dirty tactics, see for example AARD code.

Had IBM not opted to partner with Microsoft at this point, there would've been more competition on technical grounds. Because if there is one thing Microsoft hates to do is compete on that ground.

So Microsoft became big in the PC consumer market thanks to IBM, and then Microsoft used lies and deceit to make sure IBM would not get their cut (including control) in the desktop and server market. That is the OS/2 & wnt/w9x debacle.

Some call the above "brilliant businessman" and all that. Fine, I find it shortsighted (dumb & selfish).

While it was not only due to Microsoft that IBM lost its dominant position, IBM left the consumer market when OS/2 didn't prevail in the consumer market (because Microsoft went with Windows NT and Windows 9x behind their back), and never came back. From that point there was no IBM and "home computer markets", and the Thinkpad never aimed for consumers. The fact laptops became a commodity instead of a business product with high margins made IBM leave that market. They knew they could not compete with trends in market a-la gadgets, they suck at that kind of stuff, its not where they do business, so they sold something not part of their core-business.

And yeah, Microsoft ****ed their partner. Its not only the situation which matters. It is also about the choices made by the parties involved.

Here's what happened with SGI when they were in trouble late 90s. From Wikipedia:

Another attempt by SGI in the late 1990s to introduce its own family of Intel-based workstations running Windows NT (see also SGI Visual Workstation) proved to be a financial disaster, and shook customer confidence in SGI’s commitment to its own MIPS-based line.
The guy who managed to make these decisions (Rick Belluzzo) got himself a job at Microsoft afterwards as COO. Here a brief history of how he screwed SGI. One of the things he did was going for Windows NT workstations which undermined the faith customers had in the IRIX/MIPS product line. We see the very same here! I thought Qt was going to be the bridge between Nokia's products but now its all vague. See e.g. this post + comments.

Speaking of which. It is the ****ing same for the games industry. Instead of writing for OpenGL et al, they write for DirectX and therefore cannot port to platforms on which DirectX does not run (every non-Microsoft platform). Studios are screwed with this lack of portability.

I don't get how people keep falling with their big fat feet in this **** puddle of Microsoft!

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, meego rip