Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
The biggest let down for the N9 is it's OS, why the hell did they choose meego of all things?????.

^ o.m.g....

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Unless there's something not quite right about it... maybe afraid of also getting sued by Oracle (like Google) if they release it? Thus, it would make sense that they would INSIST that Nokia be the customer buying for their handsets so that they can share the responsibility in a lawsuit? I don't know.. I just find it odd that they didn't sell it as a product to customers back when they supposedly had one for the N900 already.
I think it probably was because they couldn't guarantee compatibility of certain applications, and didn't want to provide end-user support (too much costs/hassle). So they tried to sell it as a compatibility wrapper for developers. That way they only needed to provide support to the developer, not all users and sell the software for each application that runs correctly.

So I don't think it is a rights issue. The software effectively is just a Dalvik virtual machine for Maemo. That is all open source tech, and is available on all Android devices (even the non-google ones).
Ubuntu also once had a tech demo with Android widgets, and if you run Android x86 in a virtual machine, you have someting a bit similar.

Also I think you could get a lot of Android applications that work on Androidx86 on any other Linux x86 OS using something like CDE:
http://www.stanford.edu/~pgbovine/cde.html
http://www.android-x86.org/
But haven't tried it yet

Would not at all be surprised if Alien Dalvik uses a very similar technique for ARM.

Last edited by Bernard; 2011-09-20 at 16:26. Reason: Extra information about CDE

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I think it probably was because they couldn't guarantee compatibility of certain applications, and didn't want to provide end-user support (too much costs/hassle). So they tried to sell it as a compatibility wrapper for developers. That way they only needed to provide support to the developer, not all users and sell the software for each application that runs correctly.
What they've said publicly before, seems to indicate that's kinda the way they'd prefer.
Hard to know for sure though... they were always pretty vague...
Going that way would require solid backing from Nokia I imagine.

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
So I don't think it is a rights issue. The software effectively is just a Dalvik virtual machine for Maemo. That is all open source tech, and is available on all Android devices (even the non-google ones).
Ubuntu also once had a tech demo with Android widgets, and if you run Android x86 in a virtual machine, you have someting a bit similar.
But I think Dan's point is that Oracle has a case* in relation to Google's implementation of DVM.
Could this not also apply to Myriad's implementation...

*maybe ultimately a defeated one, but a case nonetheless.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-20 at 16:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
The biggest let down for the N9 is it's OS, why the hell did they choose meego of all things?????.
Its the best os... so why not?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nisse For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Hihu View Post
http://nettbutikk.telenor.no/Mobiles-N9Telenor.noC.aspx

Confirmed release date 30.9.2011
Mikecomputing and Chuck: read my lips:

IT IS CONFIRMED TO BE RELEASED 30 September

What did I say yesterday? just to remind you, I said October 3 +- 5 days

Hmmm, next week I will have a N9 Feels good.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Nisse View Post
Its the best os... so why not?
You might learn to regret saying that .

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You might learn to regret saying that .
No, as i had a chance to play with a N9 today. Did you try one yet?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nisse For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
I kinda feel like Dimitri now

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????