I am a total newbie also, but I believe the 4GB Transcend 150x works right away without having to do all this complicated kernel stuff... I have been reading that you need to put the kernal in for 4Gb - 8GB Transcend SDHC cards though.

Last edited by euchreprof; 2007-02-15 at 13:17. Reason: typo

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Denmark
Not to put you off or anything, Jon, but I'm a "Linux virgin" myself and have realized that I'm better off waiting for Nokia to release a new software version - which should happen in a few weeks time.

To be able to flash a new kernel to the N800, you must use a Linux system (afaik), and that alone is a showstopper. For me at least.

I have a 4GBTRANSCEND SD TS4GSD150 R card coming next week from Newegg so I will post the results with the N800.

Originally Posted by jon_lingard View Post
ok, again, i am a total newbie and would apprciate some step by step help please?

I need to know how to flash the kernel to make this work. Please do not refer me to post 73 as this means nothing to me and is just a window full of symbols.

Thankyou very very much for your patience, i know its frustrating for you all to deal with linux virgins like us! ...thanks.
Jon
I'll start by pointing the way. There are a couple of different ways to get a linux box working on your system. You can buy a usb that has one pre-installed (damn small linux, as well as others), vmware with unbuntu (the method others here have used), or bag windows completely (my preferred method). Note, the first two will make linux run in a window, in windows. You could cheat in step 3 by using a live cd, but then you'll have to mount drives, and dl things before you run the cd.

After you get a box working with linux:
1) download and save the image (see post 73 for the link).
2) get the flasher program from maemo.org
3) connect your tablet to the box.
4) run the command in post 73 from a terminal window. (maemo.org has a decent howto on this). The command does most of the work (after getting a linux box set up).

I have tried several times to run various Linux images inside VMWare, and never succeeded in getting them to "see" the 770 plugged into USB (although the USB printer and removable media did work).

To flash the tablet I always use a Knoppix live CD. Recent versions automount everything in sight (hard disks, NTFS partitions, USB keys, CD-ROM) so you just have to click on the icons... In typical setups (DSL router with DHCP) networking "just works" too, so you have a choice of pre-downloading stuff in Windows before the boot, or once in Knoppix.

Flashing has always been fast and reliable with this method. Each time I waste half an hour trying a new variant on VMWare and then end up doing it in five minutes with Knoppix :-)

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I would recommend using the kernel in the blog post referenced in post #124.

I have a Transcend 150x 4GB SD-Card.

At beginning it was working with 4gb and was very very slow!!! To copy one mp3-file via USB to the sd-card I have to wait for 2-3 min.!
Now I have reseted the N800 and if I look onto the card with the filemanager I will only see a 2gb card!?

Whats going wrong?

I'm also havin another 4GB card (4gb PLATINUM). If I put it into the external slot he told me that there is a new card, bu if I click on it in the browser I receive a message that there were problems to read the card!?

Pleas help me, I am getting crazy

holly

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
If you reformatted the 4GB card using the N800 file manager application, the card has been formatted using the FAT16 filesystem and this filesystem only supports a maximum 2GB partition. You need to reformat the card on a PC using the FAT32 filesystem in order for the full 4GB capacity to become available to the N800. The N800 does support FAT32 it's just that the file manager application is programmed to only format cards using FAT16.

Also, as it's a Transcend try using the Serial check page from this thread to ensure you have an original card (you may need to find the equivalent page on the Transcend German site as your signature suggests you are German!)

Ahhhhhhh, I returned my not-working 2gb extrememory card and ordered a 4gb transcend 150x yesterday. It should arrive tomorrow. Please Please Please don't tell me that I made a mistake, again

<german>
Hey holly! Wie gehts denn so? Wo hast du deine Transcend gekauft? Amazon.de? Ich glaube, dass ich deinen Nick mal im telefon-treff Forum gesehen habe...
</german>

thanks for the transcend-service-link... it is an original

Now, I have formatted the two (internal=Transcend 150x and external=Platinum) card with fat32. If I copy files from Windows to the N800 internal slot (150x) it will take 1 sec per file (70kb). For a 5MB-File (mp3) it will take 4-5 sec.

Isn't it a litle bit slow?

thx, Holly

Originally Posted by DCr33P View Post
<german>
Hey holly! Wie gehts denn so? Wo hast du deine Transcend gekauft? Amazon.de? Ich glaube, dass ich deinen Nick mal im telefon-treff Forum gesehen habe...
</german>
Ja, bin auch im TT aktiv. Habe jetzt angefangen ein deutsches N800-Forum hochzuziehen. Vielleicht schaust Du da ja mal vorbei!?
http://www.n800.de

Gruß, Holly