Notices

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Wow. I wasn't expecting this to be any more than another of the "ramblings of GROG" that pop up on these forums from time to time .

Originally Posted by slender View Post
I think it would be good to all overclockers know that cpu overheating is probably not the main problem when overcloking, but unsynced reads&writes between cpu-mainboard-memory. That was the first warnings what power management engineer from Nokia commented here on TMO when people started to oveclock their N900s. (IIRC it was Igro Stoppa). [people who memorize this please correct me if i´m just writing utter bullsh] So do not be surprised on reboots and corrupted filesystem/memory
Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't followed the overclocking threads that closely.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
That's strange. I have also been running the OC'd Titan kernel for quite a while without any problems, and yesterday I had the same thing grog just described. I was probably using GRead too (I always do :-). I thought it was maybe a memory issue and a watchdog kicking in.

Grog, are you also using some of debernardis' "optimizations" scripts ?
Not as far as I know, IOW I don't think so. My setting is simple IMHO, all I have installed are the power kernel & modules themselves, my default is set to 850 & I use the Queen Beecon Overclock Control to switch frequencies when I want.
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 83 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Paris, France
That's very strange. But i know that GRead can use a lot of memory. When the real offline mode will be there it should be lot better.

Last edited by Twidi; 2010-09-28 at 20:29.

It's probably one more of those undebuggable things :-)

Anyway, I just tried out the latest version without any problems.

I like the new fixed title option a lot : "fred mode" is almost there :-)

If I recall correctly, you've implemented all of the usability stuff that's been mentioned in this thread (and then some), except for two things :

- default font size in settings (really needed !)

- (option to) show the feed name in item view

And maybe that recent idea to use keyboard in/out for portrait/landscape, might be fun...

I checked out the new version of Grr-NG that came out a couple of days ago : it's very good-looking, with a lot of well-done eye candy, but for usability it's waaaayy behind...

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
If I recall correctly, you've implemented all of the usability stuff that's been mentioned in this thread (and then some), except for two things :

- default font size in settings (really needed !)

- (option to) show the feed name in item view

And maybe that recent idea to use keyboard in/out for portrait/landscape, might be fun...
I would humbly remind of sorting by date oldest first. That's about the only modification I do. The other being increasing the maximum number of items to fetch.

thanks,
Frank

Ah yes, sorry 'bout that Frank !

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I checked out the new version of Grr-NG that came out a couple of days ago : it's very good-looking, with a lot of well-done eye candy, but for usability it's waaaayy behind...
Thanks for pointing that out fpp. I was tempted to try it myself, but now I won't bother

Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
I would humbly remind of sorting by date oldest first.
+1 for that.
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Well that's only my partial opinion, so you may want to check it out yourself :-)

i'll add your wanted settings soon. For the sort by date oldest first, it's more difficult but i'll check that.

For GrrNG, i tested it, of course. I'm not fan of the interface, and too much things are missing : labels, offline mode (or "almost offline" as in GRead). And often i have to click twice on things to make something happen... But it's a great work on the Grr application... but it seems GrrNG is not open source any more (could not find the source code of the last version) If the author wants to (i don't say he wants, but "IF"), he can keep your login/password... say Google login/password, with all related services, like gmail !). If GrrNG was the only google reader application i wouldn't use it because of this !

The Following User Says Thank You to Twidi For This Useful Post:
About the informations banner :
  • you can now click on it to make it disappear
  • you can press "i" to show/hide it (if you press when it is sliding, it is shown normal height). When this way is used to display the banner, it is not automatically hidden (just press "i" again if you want)
  • now use QAnimation to hide the banner, and not a QTimer with complicated calculations... i just discovered it !

The Following User Says Thank You to Twidi For This Useful Post:
And now, more settings :
  • set number of unread items (default 100) to fetch for each label (or for each special feed or feed without label)
  • for content item's view :
    • checkbox to display the feed's title instead of the item's one
    • ability to set a user agent (use the default one if empty)
    • zoom by default (in %, 100% is the default)
    • and the last is not a settings : force the background to be white by default (it may cause troubles, tell me !)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twidi For This Useful Post: