Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Here's a few more quick takes on the Summit:
  • I found the lightning rounds -- the work in progress reports -- quite interesting. It was cool seeing all the things people are doing.
  • I came away with an appreciation for how much Nokia values the community of developers and users. If their enthusiasm was to be believed (and I believed it), the Nokia folks really do want participation and contribution from us.
  • I was fascinated by the USB-VGA stuff. Graham Cobb has done work in this area; it seems even more integrated stuff is coming.
  • There's lots of other bits and pieces: the new Canola and Carman from INdT looks really cool, the way the wireless held up from the assault of hundreds of Internet Tablets was impressive, the way that contributors to the tablet platform believe in the product was very cool (not just enjoyed...but believed in).
One final impression stuck with me. I don't remember the name of the talk -- I think it was Maemo UI Vision, by Harri Kiljander -- but the speaker was talking about the goals of software development on Maemo. He said that software should "create joy". That's an interesting way to think about good, well-developed software and the user's experience.

All around: great conference. I look forward to next year.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frethop For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
There is an interesting mention of Maemo in the Gnome 2.24 release notes:

http://library.gnome.org/misc/releas...2.24/#rnmobile

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Also interesting is how everyone seems to be using the same technology ...

....including Maemo, the ACCESS Linux Platform, the LiMo reference platform, Ubuntu Mobile, Moblin and Poky.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
Lcuk, what was your presentation about?

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
eliagp,
I have written a piece of software called liqbase.
It is used for sketching and drawing and doodling and remembering things at a glance.
It allows me to track and monitor my ideas and thoughts.

It uses a very fast rendering algorithm (screen hack) and manages extremely fast fullscreen kinetic scrolling.
there are videos on youtube showing its development and threads here on itT.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...=lcukmaemo&p=v

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23854

Its just entering a beta testing phase for the core elements and I require some assistance in handling the hildon desktop events and packaging it up for a rounded user experience.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
Nice, ithink I saw a video once, and didn't quite got it. XD sorry about that. Now i took my time and it looks great. Just the kind of stuff I wanna know its happening, since its hard to follow every thread around here ^^.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Also interesting is how everyone seems to be using the same technology ...
....including Maemo, the ACCESS Linux Platform, the LiMo reference platform, Ubuntu Mobile, Moblin and Poky.
Also OLPC, Garmin and (some flavours of) Openmoko. Anyone else?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
There is an interesting mention of Maemo in the Gnome 2.24 release notes:

http://library.gnome.org/misc/releas...2.24/#rnmobile
Also Telepathy development, Ekiga, Empathy, and many more changes. This article is a must read

EDIT: Live CD and VM images!!

EDIT: News coverage by Linux.com

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-09-29 at 21:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: