Converting AVI's to play on the N810 is perfect with the "N800 Video Converter" but you first need the AVI file to make the conversion. I would like a FREE DVD to AVI converter if anyone knows of a good one.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by WFT View Post
I would like a FREE DVD to AVI converter if anyone knows of a good one.
I like MPEG Streamclip by Squared 5 and use it at work. (I also use Cinematize 2 by Miraizon, but that's non-free.) If you're looking for something that will rip CSS-protected DVDs you'll need to look elsewhere though.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Handbrake, FairUse Wizard...

I mean, it's not like there aren't oodles of them around, or that this topic hasn't been discussed to fossilized bytes already on this forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by WFT View Post
Converting AVI's to play on the N810 is perfect with the "N800 Video Converter" but you first need the AVI file to make the conversion. I would like a FREE DVD to AVI converter if anyone knows of a good one.
Video converter uses mplayer's mencoder for conversion, which itself can read nearly everything, including DVDs, if the necessary libraries are installed. So it should be easy to add (ask the author of the program) - if its not already possible by entering dvd:// as source file. (Personally, I use a simple shell script to feed the needed options to mencoder on linux - didn't expose myself to video converter yet).

cheers

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
I like k9copy on Ubununtu

This site http://www.videohelp.com/tools has been alot of help to me. The guides are good and will walk you through all types of conversions and have links to the software in the guides. They have reviews of the software and tell you up front if it is freeware, shareware, or commercial. The search page allows you to type in stuff like "DVD to AVI" and it will filter the guides and software you need. I'm pretty sure if one looked hard enough you could find the tools to convert a vinyl LP into a Hollywood blockbuster!

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Handbrake, FairUse Wizard...

I mean, it's not like there aren't oodles of them around, or that this topic hasn't been discussed to fossilized bytes already on this forum.
And yet, no one has compliled the recent info to the wiki. Or removed the '770' from all the headers (assuming 770, 800, 810 have the same capabilities).

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
And yet, no one has compliled the recent info to the wiki.
Now that you know where the Wiki is, why not give it a shot yourself? Isn't that what Wiki's are for?

I am not sure I see the logic in complaining that no one else has done it.

Mind you, neither do I grasp the logic in starting fresh threads on a subject that has already been dealt with pretty comprehensively elsewhere on the forum. But that seems to be the way of things ITT.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
1) Because I don't know how to copy DVD to AVI. I wasn't able to do it using the nokia program, and haven't had time to try the 368 programs and methods that people say will work. Ideally, I'd like the easiest (don't have to select output format, sizes, bitrates) and free.

When I figure it out, and get time, sometime in January, I'll add what I know. I have started drafting info on what I have figured out, going from Tivo to Nokia. My message was directed at the people who say 'oh this thread has been discussed to death', it was resolved in post 32 in x discussion why couldn't you find it?

2) I don't think I can change the http names and don't want to mess up links. I'll leave that to someone more familiar and competent than I. I have contributed some, compiling existing information out of several different threads.

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2007-12-17 at 15:50.