Active Topics

I want to ref lash my N9. I downloaded Navifirm to download the proper firmware for my country (I bought the phone in Greece, but its the Switzerland version) and i noticed that .bin files size differ a LOT from country to country. In fact Switzerland version was about 180MB while there were other versions over 1GB of the same .bin file.

I can't believe that such difference is excused somehow. Anyone knows whats going on? Should I try a different version?

I also want to erase personal content and settings from previous user, so i want to ref lash EMMC too. Any suggestions there? Its the same procedure with N900?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
I personally don't own N9 but I'm assuming because your device was from Switzerland, it could be possible that instead of Navifirm offering you a full blown version of Switzerland's image file, you only needed to download the updates whilst retaining the same (as per preinstalled) base.

In other words its similar to delta upgrades where instead of downloading a big file for each locale when you only needed to update your device to the same version as provided from that country you only needed to download the updated portion. Whereas if you were to download a completely different locale you will need to download the entire thing probably because its setup could be quite different.

I do not know about erasing personal contents and settings from previous owner though I'm sure flashing using Navifirm should be universal shouldn't it? if not maybe you could try restoring factory settings.

So why is it so only for certain countries? Does anyone know if I can install a generic large firmware over mine?

I remember from n900 that to do a complete factory reset you need to flash emmc too, because thats where personal settings and files are stored.

In this point I should mention that factory reset from menu on N9 does not do such a good job... Most of the settings stay.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
i think that the official flasher is not yet released for the N9. I don't know about navifirm except that it is used to flash symbian phones, which are entirely different, so I wouldn't try flashing with it. I expect the N9 flashing procedure to be somewhat similar to the N900

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
It's released and it's worning.
My n9 reboots randomly and few times ended in MALF state so I had to flash it (3 times).
Now sending it back because I think it's hadware issue.

Originally Posted by tjsgls View Post
It's released and it's worning.
My n9 reboots randomly and few times ended in MALF state so I had to flash it (3 times).
Now sending it back because I think it's hadware issue.

Similar issues here. Random reboots, freezes, crashes in various applications.

Also, I can't download anything at all from Ovi Store, error message is "unable to continue installation due to unresolved error".

I don't know if it is hardware/software but I may have to return it.

I've tried to 'clear settings' and but it hasn't helped.

Originally Posted by palamosteliaro View Post
i noticed that .bin files size differ a LOT from country to country..
The real question is why are there different firmwares for different countries at all? It makes no sense to me, more different product variants to support etc. Anything country/language/etc related should be a software/configuration setting.

There should really only be as few variants as possible, that way we don't have the issues with different behaviours in different firmwares.

This issue (and also the number of different handsets released) is at the very core of why Nokia has such a massive support overhead rather than concentrating on releasing solid and stable software for each device, not hundreds of times for each variant of each device...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caa For This Useful Post:
if we start questioning nokia I believe we will end in an endless loop! :
mad:

I think I am going to risk it and flash a generic big .bin file. If factory settings wont be restored i will try to flash emmc too. If **** happens, i will use warranty!

I will post results.

OK... The weirdest thing happened. I started downloading the "smaller" Switzerland file and.... it kept downloading over 180MB until over 1GB.... Yes it was just a false report on file size.

Anyway i did the flash on windows and it kept giving me errors. It was something about update requests and they were random (every time at different % point) so I thought it was checking something online. Switching off the internet did the trick and flashed the image successfully.

However it did not delete personal data. After that much trouble I noticed there is "clear device" option on reset menu.... Why anyone told me??? Anyway it REALLY clears everything. Even stock nokia things like wallpapers so I enjoyed it. Clean N9 from the beginning!

The Following User Says Thank You to palamosteliaro For This Useful Post: