Active Topics

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
I'm done. I love surreal comedy but this is getting too surreal even for me.
Open your eyes.

After some 25 pages of off topic blather, I still can't get some simple answers.

Has anyone here actually seen solid evidence that the MeeGo code in its current state was on schedule for a solid release within, say half a year, that could go toe to toe with with whatever Google and Apple will have on the market by then?

Again, I'm not implying that WP7 is better or on track for faster delivery or anything like that. I do not like this Microsoft alliance any better than most of you folks here. Actually, I don't want to talk about Microsoft and WP7 at all.

The only thing I'm curious about is the actual state of the MeeGo code as it stands right now. Is it anywhere near ready and competitive with Android 2.x and iOS 4.x?

edit: spelling

Last edited by pxa270; 2011-02-16 at 11:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pxa270 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by pxa270 View Post
After some 25 pages of off topic blather, I still can't get some simple answers.

Has anyone here actually seen some evidence of a solid evidence that the MeeGo code in its current state was on schedule for a solid release within, say half a year, that could go toe to toe with with whatever Google and Apple will have on the market by then?

Again, I'm not implying that WP7 is better or on track for faster delivery or anything like that. I do not like this Microsoft alliance any better than most of you folks here. Actually, I don't want to talk about Microsoft and WP7 at all.

The only thing I'm curious about is the actual state of the MeeGo code as it stands right now. Is it anywhere near ready and competitive with Android 2.x and iOS 4.x?
Hey you can say what you want about WP7 as it is a M/S product so ripping it apart right now is perfectly ok ha.

Ask yourself a question ... IF Meego code was anything like ready for release on ANY mobile device do you think Nokia would drop it like they have done?.

Gates is and will always be a monopoliser a creep and a money grabbing bastard so we all love him to bits i can tell you ! but the problem is the bastard has money to chuck around and like Rupert Murdock he uses to his full advantage so you can probably hazard a guess and watch WP7 suddenly come to a new life !.

Nokia on the other hand should and could be a hell of a lot better than what they have done to date and i reckon this could well be the end of Nokia as we know them, they will now take a whole new turn BUT the distant future that could change.

Thats my thoughts and i am entitled to them so there .

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Gates is and will always be a monopoliser a creep and a money grabbing bastard so we all love him to bits i can tell you ! but the problem is the bastard has money to chuck around and like Rupert Murdock he uses to his full advantage so you can probably hazard a guess and watch WP7 suddenly come to a new life !.
You are aware that Bill Gates hasn't run Microsoft for a number of years, yes? He is merely a part-time non-executive chairman of the company.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
You are aware that Bill Gates hasn't run Microsoft for a number of years, yes? He is merely a part-time non-executive chairman of the company.
in addition he has been pretty eager to dump his fortune for charity and common good.....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by pxa270 View Post
Has anyone here actually seen solid evidence that the MeeGo code in its current state was on schedule for a solid release within, say half a year, that could go toe to toe with with whatever Google and Apple will have on the market by then?
Nokia has been developing most of Harmattan behind closed doors, so unsurprisingly not many outside Nokia can tell you that. We'll be the judges when they get the "MeeGo related device" out. Certain is, that it wouldn't have had similar ecosystem around it as iOS and Android have, as it was to be only the first high profile MeeGo device announced. And it won't have the chance to develop one now that the wings have been cut already.

But I think that's an irrelevant question in the big picture. It's becoming clearer that this decision wasn't about which OS is the best or the fastest to roll out. This was about ecosystems. Basically came down to three options.

1) Continue with your own.. Ovi Services, Qt, own operating systems and control over them. Highest risk, highest potential gain.

2) Partner with MS.. Keep some elements of your own ecosystem (money from advertising, revenue from content sales etc.) and some control over the OS. Medium risk, medium potential gain.

3) Partner with Google. Probably wouldn't offer the same perks MS did with WP7 as Google didn't have as much to gain. Smallest risk, smallest potential gain.

The choice was number 2. Not confident they could out-do Apple and Google by themselves, and felt they'd give up too much with Google.

We'll now see what happens but we never know what would've happened had they continued with their own path. There are two possible outcomes. 1) They thrive with WP7 and the ecosystem and the world will remember Elop as the one who made the decision that saved Nokia. 2) They go belly up with WP7 and the world will remember Nokia as a company even Elop couldn't save with this decision.

Nowhere will it register that this decision may have been the one that pushed them over the edge and continuing pushing the old strategy could have saved them or earned them better gains than this deal. We will never know.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
I really dont want to know as i just do NOT like M/S like millions of others and i dont care if he is in a trench or if he wants to give away whatever it is still M/S and thats all needs to be said.

Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Nokia has been developing most of Harmattan behind closed doors, so unsurprisingly not many outside Nokia can tell you that. We'll be the judges when they get the "MeeGo related device" out. Certain is, that it wouldn't have had similar ecosystem around it as iOS and Android have, as it was to be only the first high profile MeeGo device announced. And it won't have the chance to develop one now that the wings have been cut already.

But I think that's an irrelevant question in the big picture. It's becoming clearer that this decision wasn't about which OS is the best or the fastest to roll out. This was about ecosystems. Basically came down to three options.

1) Continue with your own.. Ovi Services, Qt, own operating systems and control over them. Highest risk, highest potential gain.

2) Partner with MS.. Keep some elements of your own ecosystem (money from advertising, revenue from content sales etc.) and some control over the OS. Medium risk, medium potential gain.

3) Partner with Google. Probably wouldn't offer the same perks MS did with WP7 as Google didn't have as much to gain. Smallest risk, smallest potential gain.

The choice was number 2. Not confident they could out-do Apple and Google by themselves, and felt they'd give up too much with Google.

We'll now see what happens but we never know what would've happened had they continued with their own path. There are two possible outcomes. 1) They thrive with WP7 and the ecosystem and the world will remember Elop as the one who made the decision that saved Nokia. 2) They go belly up with WP7 and the world will remember Nokia as a company even Elop couldn't save with this decision.

Nowhere will it register that this decision may have been the one that pushed them over the edge and continuing pushing the old strategy could have saved them or earned them better gains than this deal. We will never know.
Why all the words? is it not as easy to say that Nokia were doomed as a company and took the best offer available to them????.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
I really dont want to know as i just do NOT like M/S like millions of others and i dont care if he is in a trench or if he wants to give away whatever it is still M/S and thats all needs to be said.
so no use regretting ones mistakes and trying to make 'em up by doing pretty significant steps for common good (for example forcing the instances doing research with funds given to make every result etc public. that has never ever before been done and it catalyzed pretty much everything concerning the areas research a lot...) ?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Why all the words? is it not as easy to say that Nokia were doomed as a company and took the best offer available to them????.
I like how you managed to miss the whole point completely. But I'll leave it at that. The thought of having to engage in a debate with you even over such mundane things like current weather makes me want to bash my head to a brick wall, let alone over topics as complex as this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, meego rip