I used to own one until I dropped it and damaged the emmc. Got my N9 and absolutely love it to death. I am however going to buy another N900 because I do miss having one around to play with.

The Following User Says Thank You to justadude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
My N900 is still my main phone. I've got a spare, just in case the active one dies. I've bought four N900s in all. One was stolen, one given away. I have an N950 running Nemo which I play with, but It really isn't usable as a smartphone.
Why is the N950 not useable as a smart phone? I've been wanting one for ages (if you decide to sell yours, let me know!), but since they were only available to developers, I ended up going for the N900. The N9 is definitely the most beautiful phone ever made, IMHO, but I chose the N900 as the N9 lacked a keyboard and wouldn't teach me Linux like the N900 and this wonderful forum did (thank you all).

I've been using Nokia's for over a decade now, and have always admired the company for its innovative approach. I also didn't want to buy a phone that was made in China, or other third world countries as Motorola, Apple and others had been making. I loved my 8800 (Made in Germany) which was one of the first consumer luxury phones, I loved the build quality (a feature of many Nokia phones that lacks in other companies phones) made of stainless steel, and the crystal glass that wouldn't scratch (one of my gripes about the N900 is that the screen scratches too easily), etc... I then went on to my first Smartphone, an E90 (Made in Finland), this was the top dog of Nokia's smartphones and I LOVED it. In fact I use it interchangeably now with my N900 depending on what I want to do. I loved the build quality, the look of it, the fact that it had two screens and a huge keyboard, and even the interface was nice. What really killed the phone for me was Symbian... Such an outdated slow system...And then came along...

The N900! The phone that changed Nokia (software wise) and was the pinnacle of everything that could be. It combined beauty in design (reminiscent of all of Nokia's "pinnacle" phones), It was made with beautiful precision and high quality materials (in Korea, which is now practically on the same level as Japan when it comes to quality of manufacturing, and where they also built the later model 8800s). It had the best GUI (along with the N9 that replaced it later) and was completely customizable with lots of great free software.

I will use this phone until I can get my hands on an N950, or until a decent build quality smartphone comes out with great software. The other phones out there just look and feel cheap compared to these pinnacle Nokia phones. I've used Android tablets and smartphones and can't stand the interface. It feels sluggish, and not nearly as smooth as iOS. I wouldn't buy an iPhone (even though it's made of better materials than the Android phones which feel cheap) however since everyone has one and they are Made in China (As are the Samsung's, both of which get lots of bad press recently with the child labour, factory fires, and other things). I could buy an LG which is made in Korea, but again, I don't like Android. I was thinking of the Lumia 900 since I liked Windows Phone a lot better than Android/iOS, but I couldn't afford to buy one for $600 and thought it looked like a cheap knockoff of the N9, in which case I would have bought an N9 for $400. Plus neither had a Keyboard. So in the end I decided to stick to something quirky, which would show my individualism, uniqueness, etc... and would still be a wonderful built Nokia. I've dropped all my phones hundreds of times and they never broke, all it takes to break a galaxy or iPhone is one time of dropping it!

Anyway, it's far from the perfect phone. Here are my gripes:

1. Incoming calls are often missed, because by the time it lights up on the screen to show me who's calling it's too late to press accept as it's already missed the call. In fact when I'm expecting an important call, I end up using my E90 and for calling in general I use that.

2. Battery life, although it's not as bad as the 8800, it's not nearly as good as the E90 (even with an old 5 year old battery in it).

3. FM Transmitter, it's a great feature but hardly works in any car stereo I tried it with, the signal just seems to be far too week. The same goes with the IR as a remote control, week signal.

4. Slow to load sometimes, and fast at other times. Whether I am overclocking or not, sometimes in fact things work faster when I don't overclock. This and the screen is what make it look somewhat dated.

5. GPS - the Google maps utility on the E90 is so much faster, easier, and better to get directions with than the GPS on the N900 unfortunately. So calling and directions are the two things I use the E90 for.

Overall I feel like the N900 works better as a mobile computer than a phone due to some of these flaws. If it was as fast as some of the modern phones, it would beat out all the competition. However, any phone that has an "X-Terminal," is hackable to the point of overclocking, and that works so easily and quickly for tethering (I'm using it now as a mobile internet device hooked up to my laptop and it works amazingly at this), is a great phone.

I will keep this thing forever as I did with all my phones, and use even if I do end up getting a new phone, although until there's something I like out there that's similar, it's unlikely that I will be getting a new phone for a while. Thank you Nokia and to this community for all your help and patience and keeping this phone alive!

P.S. You can still find them new. I bought mine a few months ago brand new for $200 off eBay, sealed in the original box. The box and instructions are so premium looking that it reminds me a lot of the unboxing of my 8800 when I received it.

The X-Terminal alone is worth its weight in gold. It looks so beautiful just opening and typing in there.

Last edited by BaronKatz; 2013-01-31 at 20:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BaronKatz For This Useful Post:
well,i'm still using N900 as my phone n pocket computer
if u have well knowledge abt Linux systems,things u can do on ur N900 r limitless ....

The Following User Says Thank You to halfdreamer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
N900 is my primary phone, also carry an SE Xperia Pro because I was supposed to carry a Blackberry and I hated it, so use BB SIM on Xperia and ActiveSync.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ India
it is my primary phone because it works well as a phone and then its a mobile computer... nothing comes close... best phone eva, its been an honour to be a N900 user and be part of this community.

from my N900

The Following User Says Thank You to niloy For This Useful Post:
I'm still using it as my primary phone and I am happy with it. I am using CSSU-Thumb now, which feels like a fresh breeze, which was a wonderful feeling after I've installed it. Yes, it has its flaws but I it does all I need it to do and I haven't seen an alternative suiting my needs so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tschaka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ St. Paul, MN
@BaronKatz.-

Re: FM transmitter...out of the box, yes, too weak. With forum tweaks to increase power. Rock solid...at least in my part of the world if you haven't come across it yet.

Originally Posted by acrux View Post
Still my only phone. Bought it in December 2010 to replace my NokiaN82. In terms of camera it was a slight downgrade (xenon flash etc ), but otherwise... Currently no plans to replace it because there is no alternative at moment
Replaced my N82 also with a N900. Quite the change eh?

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Netherlands
The N900 is my primary phone although I use it mostly as a mobile computer. It has been for the past 3 years and it will be untll it dies or I find something that suits my needs as the N900 does. I have looked, but have not found it yet...

I am still using my N900 as primary and only phone. I love skype integrated with the OS and I love having a keyboard. I have to admit though that I am missing some application like car2go and line and the browser seems to be a little sluggish on more and more website

The Following User Says Thank You to tuareg For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900