Poll: What is the leaked PR1.2 RC?
Poll Options
What is the leaked PR1.2 RC?

Closed Thread
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
This is how Nokia missed an opportunity. Once the leak happened, they could have made an official version available, with appropriate disclaimers. Instead they let their eager customers put themselves in jeopardy. Why? The leaked version in general is perfectly safe; it's only the method of release that caused a problem. Nokia turned victory into defeat for itself.
True... they are also missing an opportunity now with a growing installed base and no official means of reporting bugs. True, many may have been already squashed but some... maybe not.

BTW, off topic. I saw awhile back folks talking about Canola2. Is this even worth installing on the N900?

SLN member # 009

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
I disagree. The release may be safe but it is not ready for general release. Why should Nokia be hurried by an illegal leak.

I took a big risk, and was ready for trouble. Leaked PR1.2 is ok and still better than 1.1 but it is not finished. Doubtless Nokia have a project plan, itcannot be rushed and still takes 9 women 9 months to make one baby.
Nokia should have been hurried by the illegal leak because it corrected their mistake of not releasing fixes early enough.

And you say that the release is not ready for general release. What about the version that IS released? Judging from the messages that are posted here every day, the rootfs problem catches MANY users. The leaked version has a much smaller rootfs problem -- I would say it's safer than the unleaked version just because of that.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

BTW, off topic. I saw awhile back folks talking about Canola2. Is this even worth installing on the N900?
I don't have Canola2 installed and have never been much of a fan. I have always assumed I wasn't getting out of it what I could, but it has not interested me that much.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Can anyone test the camera for me?
Any improvements? Does it still give hazy result?
What about the Night Mode?

This is the pic i took last night on a room with good lighting :
With Macro mode and High res enabled :

Pretty dissapointing IMO
I tried it couple of times with other options but it still gave either same or worse result (and yes i used autofocus)

This better be a Software issue.. It's not acceptable result for a 5 MP camera

Last edited by deny_winarto; 2010-05-22 at 01:56.

Originally Posted by deny_winarto View Post
Pretty dissapointing IMO
I tried it couple of times with other options but it still gave either same or worse result (and yes i used autofocus)

EXIF data shows digital zoom ratio 2.8. Is that right? Surely digital zoom will trash the image

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)

Pretty dissapointing IMO

I see a hint of a blue-greenish hue on this image as well as the digital zoom (which will make it look bad on any device).

The only fix to a blue-greenish hue is to buy a black permanent marker and take off the battery cover. Apply the permanent marker on the blue-green edge of the lens cover which is closest to the lens when taking pictures. You might want to mask the chrome frame with paint tape or similar to avoid marking that black as well.

Once dry, a few seconds after appliation, your pictures will be void of this blue-green hue and will look much better.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
I removed the cover completely and I took pictures with the N900. Took the same pictures with the N97 and the N97 simply has MUCH better colours even with the cover off. It's not just about the cover.

The N900 uses a warmer colour palette in general. Viewing images on the N900 and the N97, you can see the same images look warmer on the N900. I think the N900's camera is calibrated so that taking images on it and viewing them on the phone would produce a "normal" quality. PIctures viewed elsewhere though would look dry.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Companies release beta software all the time, it's your choice to install it or not. There are even beta releases of OS's, again your choice to install it.
PR 1.2 updates radio modem so reverting might let you phoneless(, or so I've read). If W7 beta flashed my MB BIOS and it would no longer run XP, that beta would be laughed off the stage.

A beta FW would be OK as long as it would be available OTA and as long as a button in the menu could do it back to 1.1.1 OTA. As in, you know, "revertable".

I'm still going to wait because so many people complain, and I simply can't be without my N900.

As for the image, it seems to me someone cranked up ISO to take that shot. Whether it's a software bug or a manual setting I couldn't say. I still wonder why N900 doesn't allow different image formats. JPEG compression is visible in the posted sample.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
The reports i have seen seem to rely on connection speed to get Skype to work, its a mixed bag of reports but it is working for 3g connect speeds but not for anyhing lower i believe.
See this blog link about Skype,

http://blogs.skype.com/en/2009/11/vi...nokia_n90.html
The video appears to work only if the other end initiates video. Only then does the video button show up on the N900. So you have to already be in a skype call and the other person have to start their video. Works every time regardless of connection speed.

Pretty dissapointing IMO

Similar results here. This is most likely a software optimization issue since my E72 takes uncomparably better photos and it doesn't even have Zeiss lens. There is too much noise in the photos from the N900 even in perfect outdoor lighting. I really don't see any improvements in the camera over PR1.1. The night mode takes the same really bad photos.

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolag For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
chineesequality, fremantle, leaked pr1.2, maemo, maemo 5, n900, ranting, surreality