Active Topics

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-el...in-smartphones

24 August 2010—Intel and Nokia will bring interactive 3-D environments to mobile phones through a collaboration with the University of Oulu in Finland, the companies said Monday. "3-D and virtual worlds really have the potential to revolutionize mobile and Internet users’ experiences," says Mika Setälä, Nokia’s director of industry alliances. "Consumers definitely will feel more involved and more engaged when they’re using these technologies.
The researchers will build on MeeGo, a Linux-based open-source operating system jointly developed by Intel and Nokia. The operating system is designed to work not only on smartphones but on other devices, such as netbooks and tablet computers, with a variety of hardware architectures.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Not sure what a half-baked "Second Life"-esque 3D UI has to do with the October launch... there isn't even a very nice looking 2D UI working on MeeGo Handset yet!

i think its going to release this october...
Source: http://www.intomobile.com/2010/08/31...in-april-2011/

if not then probably it will be told announced at nokia world.

I think maybe I'll just watch this one out. Speculating and discussing it is exhausting. and also don't want to disappoint myself.

all fingers crossed.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
i think its going to release this october...
Source: http://www.intomobile.com/2010/08/31...in-april-2011/

if not then probably it will be told announced at nokia world.

I think maybe I'll just watch this one out. Speculating and discussing it is exhausting. and also don't want to disappoint myself.

all fingers crossed.
Those are ambitious plans - judging by what is currently available for testing on N900s there is an almighty boat load of work still to be done, and getting a release out by mid October just seems kinda fanciful. Perhaps that timeline is for the stock MeeGo Handset UX - which is more or less there already (and very dull) - but not the Nokia Handset UX which needs to add a lot more "bling" to make it interesting/competitive.

Besides, it's been stated on several occasions already that the next release will be Maemo6/Harmattan so even if a version of MeeGo is released during October I'd be surprised if we see it at launch of the next handset (N9).

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by n900faniam View Post
Hi Hellflyer

There's talk of an October launch date on the meego homepage, and reference to the n900 on the meego handset page.
So why did you ask here?

Was this some sort of test?

... because I would have liked to have had a heads up or suttin'

Dang it! No one said anything about a pop quiz.

SLN member # 009

This image file lists 14 different devices:

/etc/meegotouch/devices.conf

The last one is interesting.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Will Nokia World have a status update on whether MeeGo1.1 is still on track to make the October launch?
The MeeGo releases are developed by the MeeGo project at http://meego.com . Nokia World is actually a different thing.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Those are ambitious plans - judging by what is currently available for testing on N900s there is an almighty boat load of work still to be done, and getting a release out by mid October just seems kinda fanciful. Perhaps that timeline is for the stock MeeGo Handset UX - which is more or less there already (and very dull) - but not the Nokia Handset UX which needs to add a lot more "bling" to make it interesting/competitive.

Besides, it's been stated on several occasions already that the next release will be Maemo6/Harmattan so even if a version of MeeGo is released during October I'd be surprised if we see it at launch of the next handset (N9).

Happy to be proven wrong though.
speaking practically, I don't see any actuall product anytime soon, but theoratically I'm really hope we see something soon.

about the nokia Version of meego If it looked anything like the video (source:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INVlmjJKXjk) then I think we might be surprised, because people loved the way it looked and thought might be the way to go. it might actually be released earlier then expected or maybe we r looking at a november/december launch.

besides I thought maybe Meego has a stock UX that is the basic. that will be released this october, but we'll see different versions from different companies where they add there own flare? or thats what I thought...

about the nokia N9, whats the deal, is it official, is that the final look/specs? because i'm reading alot about it. really whats up with it. its all over the internet like its already launched. but thats how i see. I think nokia saw how well it did, virtually, and might actually release it. since many people think its a mac look alike but did say they like the way it looks.

but actually i'm really waiting to see how this is going to turn out.

The suspense is killing.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
So are you saying the currently available MeeGo Handset UX is unrepresentative of what will finally ship? If so it's probably stating the obvious as MeeGo on handsets will get panned in it's current state, but would be good to hear officially (I have missed any official announcements to that effect). Is there an approximate ETA for when the updated UX will start to become available in the codedrop builds?
The MeeGo releases can be taken by vendors as is or they can build their own UX (open, closed, mixed) on top of it. Nokia has communicated consistenly that is developing a premium UX on top of MeeGo.

Nokia is leading the development of the MeeGo Touch Framewrok, which is open and available commit by commit at http://meego.gitorious.org/meegotouch . What is being developed on top includes Ovi apps and services that are part of the Nokia differentiation as MeeGo vendor.

Any other MeeGo vendor can do the same.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
So basically, meego handset UX 1.1 is released in October. This is "vendor neutral" release.

At a later date Nokia "enhanced" version of Meego is released.

It really depends how much of the Nokia version will be closed source/proprietary. E.g. OVI Services, OVI Maps, Flash and UI "Skin".

If Nokia want to release a meego-based handset at the end of the year ; I would imagine (judging by the current release) meego has a long way to go to be usable.

Unless Nokia's version contains "enhancements" beyond apps and drivers - e.g. other UI components.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-09-01 at 13:06.

Tags
i want my, time back