Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by villo View Post
Yes I did have vpnc installed. I have now uninstalled it as I believed it caused the problem but the problem still persists. How would you go about fixing /etc/resolv.conf file exactly. I'm sorry but I am really new to this so any help is appreciated.
OK, DNS PROBLEM:

vpnc installation creates a script which runs all time then you connect to WLAN. And that script has (had? - I still on 44.1) a bug - it doesn't recognize Maemo5 (fremantle) properly. And it may under some conditions go to wrong file loop. So, simple fix (until this bug is fixed) -

1. go to X-Term
2 became root (via 'root' command but you need rootsh package installed)
3. execute commands
echo "nameserver 127.0.0.1">/etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 127.0.0.1">/etc/vpnc/resolv.conf-backup
4. switch OFF-ON

Disclaimer: I don't upgrade to 52.1 yet and I don't know if dhcp client is changed, so I can't judge about /etc/maemo-dhcp.d/50_ipv4_network_setup, in my N900 directory /etc/maemo-dhcp.d is ABSENT.

2 disclaimer: I never had a problem with /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script but it has sense to check it's absence (ls -l /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script) and if it is absent, then copy it from distributive file as jsbigs and other advice:

4B. mv /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script.dpkg-dist /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denver
I never installed vpnc and I'm still having this issue.

Originally Posted by nickt View Post
I never installed vpnc and I'm still having this issue.
Check the last point from my previous post, please.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted by beeman102 View Post
sure have. each time i typed the command line 'mv /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script.dpkg-dist /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script' with out the ' and the first time it looked to of have accepted the command as nothing came up after. but the second and third time it asked me if i want to replace the file. each time i typed the command in i restarted the phone..
Can you do this:
cd /etc/udhcpc
and then do
ls

and see what files are in there? if they are both in there then open the libicd_network_ipv4.script file with an editor and see what is in there?

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Melbourne
Originally Posted by NUTNDUN View Post
Can you do this:
cd /etc/udhcpc
and then do
ls

and see what files are in there? if they are both in there then open the libicd_network_ipv4.script file with an editor and see what is in there?
thanks for the help.
heres what im looking at.

/etc/udhcpc $ ls

default.bound
default.deconfig
default.leasefail
default.nak
default.renew
default.script
libicd_network_ipv4.script
libicd_network_ipv4script

Originally Posted by beeman102 View Post
thanks for the help.
heres what im looking at.

/etc/udhcpc $ ls

default.bound
default.deconfig
default.leasefail
default.nak
default.renew
default.script
libicd_network_ipv4.script
libicd_network_ipv4script
the libicd_network_ipv4script file is invalid(the one without the period) you will have to sudo gainroot and open the libicd_network_ipv4.script in vi or leafpad and see what is in it.

This is the line that needs to be in that file:
run-parts -a "$1" /etc/maemo.dhcp.d

I know what happened you mv'd the dpkg file to the one without the period before script so that one contains the correct information with wrong file name but open it in editor to double check and if it does then you can do the mv command and make it to the proper file name to replace the original. You need to be root to move the file.

Last edited by NUTNDUN; 2010-01-15 at 01:39.

What happened is when you ran the first mv command beeman you forgot a period.. and thus renamed the dist-pkg file with ipv4script.

Now you need to:

Code:
mv libicd_network_ipv4script libicd_network_ipv4.script
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Egoshin - the file won't be missing. My guess is that vpnc modifies that network_ipv4.script file (which is supposed to be there).. because that file is modified.. when you updated today with the push from Nokia - dpkg refuses to replace files that were modified by the user (which it was, when you installed the application that modified it). It instead puts the file it WOULD have overwritten it with, as a .dpkg-dist file instead in order to extract the file to where it WOULD have gone, but not overwrite the modified file.

You then have to move the file yourself to make it active.

Nokiabuf: This is not a problem with Nokia anymore than installing a random EXE off the internet breaks your desktop is a problem for Microsoft. This was a third party application installed, modified a system file, and is now incompatible with the new firmware. This is a bug in the software.. not in Nokia's firmware or Nokia's default behavior. Nokia cannot possibly be assumed to make sure every possible update will not interfere with every package in Extras-testing and Extras-devel. It is the package maintainers of those packages that must update their applications to work with the new firmware.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Egoshin - the file won't be missing. My guess is that vpnc modifies that network_ipv4.script file (which is supposed to be there).. because that file is modified.. when you updated today with the push from Nokia - dpkg refuses to replace files that were modified by the user (which it was, when you installed the application that modified it). It instead puts the file it WOULD have overwritten it with, as a .dpkg-dist file instead in order to extract the file to where it WOULD have gone, but not overwrite the modified file.

You then have to move the file yourself to make it active.

Nokiabuf: This is not a problem with Nokia anymore than installing a random EXE off the internet breaks your desktop is a problem for Microsoft. This was a third party application installed, modified a system file, and is now incompatible with the new firmware. This is a bug in the software.. not in Nokia's firmware or Nokia's default behavior. Nokia cannot possibly be assumed to make sure every possible update will not interfere with every package in Extras-testing and Extras-devel. It is the package maintainers of those packages that must update their applications to work with the new firmware.
Well said fatalsaint

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Egoshin - the file won't be missing. My guess is that vpnc modifies that network_ipv4.script file (which is supposed to be there)..
You absolutely right here - it modifies it during installation.

because that file is modified.. when you updated today with the push from Nokia - dpkg refuses to replace files that were modified by the user (which it was, when you installed the application that modified it). It instead puts the file it WOULD have overwritten it with, as a .dpkg-dist file instead in order to extract the file to where it WOULD have gone, but not overwrite the modified file
Will it restore the original if I uninstall vpnc? (I am not very familiar with debian package processing).