Active Topics

Notices

I'm still struggling with trying to import the NIV. The files I have seem to be in vpl format (although the script comments say ThML) but with some sort of indes included in <span> tags instead of the usual "book chapter:verse" notation. The script uses imp2vs to process these but the resulting .vss files are filled with ASCII null characters. Here's a sample of Genesis 1 to illustrate:
Code:
-n <div class="sechead"> The Beginning </div> 
<span id="en-NIV-1" class="sup">1</span> In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
<span id="en-NIV-2" class="sup">2</span> Now the earth was <note>Or possibly <i> became </i></note> formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
The "en-NIV-1" increases by one with each verse so that by the ebd of
Revelation it is 30902.

Rapier reads the files without complaining, but all I get is a list of verse numbers in parentheses.

I'm really at a loss now, and would like whatever suggestions anyone can make.

Thanks,
Walt

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Walt:

The author of Rapier is your best bet, but here's what little I can add...

On my N800, in the following Rapier directory:

/media/mmc2/rapier/modules/texts/rawtext/niv

Here is the first bytes of the 'ot' file:

<div class="sechead"><br /> The Beginning </div> In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. <p />
Now the earth was <note>Or possibly <i>became </i></note> formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. <p />

In the same subdirectory, I also have an 'ot.vss' file, but it is *not* ASCII, so is unprintable.

I do not know if this is relevant to your question or not (?).

Originally Posted by chromiumdr View Post
Hi, have had rapier installed before but have had no luck with it in diablo... I have attempted both a regular install through the extras repo, and dpkg install of rapier and the other three required components with no luck on either count.

I receive the following error when I run at command line:

Traceback (most recent call list):
File "/usr/bin/rapier", line 30 in <module>
from gnome import gconf
ImportError: cannot import name gconf

I wasn't able to turn anything up in Google or forum searches on this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Has anyone else seen this behavior? Ever since switching to Diablo I've not been able to get rapier to run, error always the same as what was show above. ImportError: cannot import name gconf

I've tried all the suggestions in this thread (validate python version, manual uninstall/reinstall, app mgr uninstall, reinstall of all packages) except reflashing, I'd like to save that as a last resort as everything else on my N800 is working right now.

Originally Posted by rauschd View Post
Has anyone else seen this behavior? Ever since switching to Diablo I've not been able to get rapier to run, error always the same as what was show above. ImportError: cannot import name gconf

I've tried all the suggestions in this thread (validate python version, manual uninstall/reinstall, app mgr uninstall, reinstall of all packages) except reflashing, I'd like to save that as a last resort as everything else on my N800 is working right now.
I have the exact same error. I also get this error with the Panucci player.

Sorry, guys, but as a user of Rapier I have no solution to offer -- only comments that Rapier worked fine for me after a 'forced' reflash to the latest Diablo.

As for 'gconf', this is what dpkg tells me:

Nokia-N800-23-14:~# dpkg -l|grep gconf
ii gconf2 2.16.0-1osso14 GNOME configuration database system. (daemon
ii libgconf2-6 2.16.0-1osso14 GNOME configuration database system librarie

Do you have that stuff?

Yep, got those, same version numbers. sigh

rauschd:

Have you verified that the problem really has nothing to do with 'rapier', but (probably) your installed python environment?

This is what I just did to prove both the version of python being used, and that 'gconf' was nicely available:

Nokia-N800-23-14:~# python
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Sep 8 2008, 19:47:42)
[GCC 3.4.4 (release) (CodeSourcery ARM 2005q3-2)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> from gnome import gconf
>>>

Notice there are no error messages. Maybe you should re-flash and re-install python stuff? I am no expert, but it doesn't sound like this is a 'rapier' issue (?).

You're right, my install of python seems to be the problem. I had previously checked to make sure all the right modules were installed and versions were up to date, even reinstalled the bulk of them. Looks like its time to flash. Thanks.

rauschd: Let us know how it turns out. I find it a bit scary that Python libraries *appear* to be present, but not actually usable...

Rapier has stopped working for me. I get the message "/usr/bin/rapier" line 30 in <module> from gnmome import gconf. Import error: cannot import name gconf. Perhaps it got misconfigured on an OS upgrade? I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it still fails. Ideas/suggestions?