Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
Well, I agree that moving the D-Pad was probably a bad idea, but will have to see. I don't use it that much anyway.
Speaking now with the end user hat on for a while, I've been using the new device now for a rather long time, and honestly, you don't miss the rocker. Honestly.

Only time I occasionally slide the keyboard out is with a very tricky link in some web site, but that's really it. There's a number of UI improvements in the device aimed to minimize how much you would actually need it. Also, this helps to reduce the device width by a centimeter. Which is a very nice thing.

the n810 is meant to be held in your hand while using the slideout keyboard. common sense???

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This my friends, is a historical first. I have nice things to say. Some background for those who haven't been subjected to the near constant barrage of cynicism I've shared with my friends here for the past two years. I'm Hedgecore. I'm cynicism incarnate. The glass is neither half full, nor half empty, but it's a stupid glass and so's your face. I bought a 770 the second I could, making a 4 hour trek to the States. I was dumbfounded when Nokia dumped it cold for the N800. I didn't buy an N800. I spewed venomous posts about Nokia (and I still mean it!) alienating their early adopters. Much like anything, most of you jerks folded like a house of cards and began dry humping your N800's. Except something just changed. She doesn't wanna make out with you anymore. She's tired.

The assault on the N810 is exactly what I said about the N800. I meant it, so do you. But I was wrong about a buncha things. A camera might be fun (it should still be external and modular). But I digress.

The N810 looks pretty slick.

- On the left hand side, it looks like we have a rocker button for fullscreen mode and the escape button (based on the symbols). There appears to be a ridge in the middle, perhaps this allows scrolling up and down on web pages too?

- The dpad is still horribly designed for playing games. So far as the placement goes, just think for a second. If you use it to scroll through web pages, now you scroll through web pages with the keyboard slid out. Doesn't seem like rocket science or torture to me.

- Speaker placement. If you're using your 770, 800, or 810 as a stereosystem - - hahahahah. You'll be able to hear your beeps and boops, rest assured. (So long as they're not facing away from you.)

- The onscreen keyboard still appears to be there. I hope there's a hardware override when the physical keyboard is pulled out to prevent that one from popping up on screen.

- There is one glaring thing I don't think anyone has mentioned yet. Where the hell is the stylus!? I think it's that ridge in the upper left of the screen in pic #1.

Overall, looks pretty neat! Hope there's a cover for it.

Top Left houses what looks like an LED.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Again, they are not the same type of devices. They are not intended to be. And do keep in mind that the iPhone and iPods do not have hardware keyboards.
Note that I compared the iPhone/Touch with the N800, which doesn't have a keyboard. The N810 appears to be thicker still. I concede the N810 will be thicker due to the keyboard, but overall Nokia seem to be flabbier than Apple, and they _ARE_ the same type of devices - break it down and they're identical: ARM based CPU, touchscreen, WiFi, Bluetooth, some dynamic and flash memory, a battery, a couple of antennae. One thin, the other flabby.

And Mil, with all due respect: you're expressing your opinion of style.
You think? Yes, it's very much my personal opinon and I could be totally wrong (I hope I am!)

Just as some love the 770 and despise the looks of the N800 (I feel the opposite). My *opinion* is that the styling of the N810 is fine. I'm not sure what else some people want style-wise. Different color(s)? Fancy graphics? Lights? What? Instead of vague bashing, why not describe specific ways that the looks could have been done better?
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating", as they say. What will matter is how the N810 is perceived by reviewers and consumers. The N810 appears to be an incremental improvement on the N800, and may appeal to a slightly greater number than the N800 but it's not a radical makeover which is what I think Nokia needs to crack this market, and it's certainly not radical enough for an N-series device, it really does look very E-series.

Better ways to have designed it? I dunno, I have trouble planning the re-decoration of my living room but I know what I like when I see it! For an N-series device I think something sleek and sexy is required, yes, something similar to an iPhone/Touch - shiny black and no bevel around the display, slim and light, then take it from there. Instead we have what looks like a business computing device - very sober and understated, definately not sexy. And then add OS 2007 to the mix with it's poor UI and you have a not very compelling device.

I'm not looking forward to the reviews.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
No the usb is not full sized just compare it with the headphone jack and you can see that it is the regular mini usb
Actually when i compare the usb icon to the mini usb port on the n800 they are of the same size... but on the n810 the usb icon on the side is smaller compared to the port. So it may be either a smaller icon or a normal size usb

Any ideas??

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Does nokia will sell it with reduced price for developpers ?

It's seem's to be a great device to dev onboard.

Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
The thickness is the same as the N800 without the hump.
That is good news, the N810 with keyboard should compare a little more favourably with the svelte iPhone. (The above post took about 10 minutes to post - did we get slashdotted?!)

Micro USB is appearing on most of Nokia N series .

Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
This my friends, is a historical first. I have nice things to say. Some background for those who haven't been subjected to the near constant barrage of cynicism I've shared with my friends here for the past two years. I'm Hedgecore. I'm cynicism incarnate. The glass is neither half full, nor half empty, but it's a stupid glass and so's your face.
I think we've traded places!