Active Topics

Now Carsten Munk wrote me, that Nemo kernel needs atags from NOLO.

I tried to add ITEM_USEATAG="1" to nemo bootmenu file and nemo kernel booted :-)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
I had same problem when tested.
Last several hours I've been trying same, with playing with different configurations, still same result
No booting to Nemo.
I had run Nemo with multiboot before, so I thought it would be easier than to try NITDroid, but couldn't make it. Tomorrow will try NITDroid manual install.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Question - uboot+kernel boots before /sbin/preinit runs when booting into Maemo 5, correct?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Question - uboot+kernel boots before /sbin/preinit runs when booting into Maemo 5, correct?
yes, it does not boot maemo from mtd

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Now Carsten Munk wrote me, that Nemo kernel needs atags from NOLO.

I tried to add ITEM_USEATAG="1" to nemo bootmenu file and nemo kernel booted :-)
Can you write your Nemo bootmenu item file?

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
indeed now the Nemo kernel boots but i'm getting a kernel panic due to "cannot open root device "mmcblk1p1" and it gives a list of possible partition options but those are the mtdblock0 to mtdblock5 partitions ??? Not the 3 partitions on the SD card.

So the kernel looks at the wrong device to find the root. Any idea ?

EDIT: Maybe the syntax for the discovered external SD card partitions is different than the syntax for the internal ones or due to newer kernel version the names are different ?

Over to Carsten again ?

Thanks everyone for trying to crack this thing. After the hopefully very close successfull Nemo boot we only have Nitdroid left.

Or maybe (k)Ubuntu and Archlinux, but the followers for those are less in numbers and I guess/hope by then all knowledge and experience will be in the open so it's less painful.

Last edited by Netweaver; 2012-02-01 at 23:03.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Question, if you boot into the u-boot console, don't boot into any O.S., but kick the watchdogs over enough to keep the system from shutting down, if you wait long enough, will the screen shut-off?

I noticed that from the /sbin/preinit shell, if you leave the N900 in it for a while 5-10 min, never timed it, the screen will shut off. Interacting with the keyboard, however, brings it back on.

I'm just wondering if that's the Maemo 5 kernel, one of the bare minimum of drivers loaded in my /sbin/preinit boot-shell (I haven't tested with the one you have in your git repo), or something lower down in the hardware having a built-in screen shut-off-when-idle feature.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
indeed now the Nemo kernel boots but i'm getting a kernel panic due to "cannot open root device "mmcblk1p1" and it gives a list of possible partition options but those are the mtdblock0 to mtdblock5 partitions ??? Not the 3 partitions on the SD card.
Nemo is on SD or in eMMC ?

For SD the correct device is mmcblk0p1

The Following User Says Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
just tried it with mmcblk0p1 as well, same issue. the kernel still only shows the mtdblock0 to mtdblock5 partitions and panics.

Am I the only one who has a starting/booting Nemo kernel but non-completing all the way to Nemo itself ?

BTW, it's on the SD card.

Last edited by Netweaver; 2012-02-02 at 00:18.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Command line (bootargs) for MeeGo/Nemo is :
Code:
root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait rw console=ttyO2,115200n8 console=tty0 omapfb.vram=0:2M,1:2M,2:2M mtdoops.mtddev=2

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot