Active Topics

Notices

I can confirm what thp said about the battery drain - there is no battery drain. My consumption pattern hasn't changed at all. Please stop blaming Billboard for whatever battery drain you are experiencing. This can come from many possible sources. It can also be the OS itself acting up for some unknown reason. Just because A happens before B it doesn't mean A is responsible for B.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Istanbul,Turkey
Instant Messaging status drains battery.But very nice app

hi thp,

I wrote a small script to display currency exchange rate. Script uses wget to scrape data. script runs fine from command line. Also it shows results fine in preview area of billboard app. But on standby screen it doesn't show anything.

My observation is if the script execution is more than certain seconds(say 3-5 seconds, due to wget) the app isn't capturing the script output. Can you plz explain how the script is invoked and the output is captured?

As a workaround(may be a better solution to prevent draining battery), i cached the result of script & refresh only if the data is 8 hrs old. So, that the consecutive runs are faster & the app is able to capture output. (but, I still have problem when wget command fires)

Last edited by achilles333; 2012-06-11 at 20:04.

I only have the date and the battery percent on my billboard settings because that's all i really need but I notice a pretty noticeable gap from the notifications and the billboard. Is there anyway you could make it closer up.

The reason i bring this up is because it never really bothered me until i noticed that with billboard enabled it only has room to move down 1 spot, this concerns me because of screen burning issues, is there anyway to speed up the up and down transitions like every 30 sec etc - maybe in the next update, if even possible.

Last edited by RTA; 2012-06-12 at 01:21.

I also experience a lot of battery drain, but I think I just have too much crap running in my background. Got rid of a lot of stuff tonight and we'll see if anything changes tomorrow.

Still, I'd like a manual setting for refresh rate. Battery percentage is nice, but to maximize battery life I'd rather just have it display the date, refreshing every 24 hours at 00:01. And on that note, to save even more battery life, it would be great to only show the parts of the date I'm interested in - day of the week and day of the month, and leave out the month and year.

No battery drainage detected here. Check your facts with the Battery Usage app with same use and same recharge pattern for a couple of days, or a week, with and without Billboard app in use.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Istanbul,Turkey
I activated instant messaging status on low power screen and go to sleep.When i wake up it drained battery above %15-%20 , but when i deactivate it and sleep , no draining at all.

I don't know how script's triggers work but there must be something drains battery at presence.

That would be very nice if we can execute our python scripts on low power screen.I have a very good script written by me but i do not know how to write the return value on screen.

Originally Posted by trayhoper View Post
That would be very nice if we can execute our python scripts on low power screen.I have a very good script written by me but i do not know how to write the return value on screen.
From the first page:

Originally Posted by thp View Post
It's described in the about screen of the app...

...Advanced features:
{script:uptime} - Insert output of "uptime" command
{script:/home/user/test.py} - Insert output of "/home/user/test.py" script...
I'm trying to write a shell script that would show me the next enabled alarm. I found out that:

Code:
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.time /com/nokia/time com.nokia.time.get_cookies_by_attributes dict:string:string:"enabled","1"
...will give you all the cookies for enabled alarms and that:

Code:
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.time /com/nokia/time com.nokia.time.query_attributes uint32:cookie
...will give you the attributes, including recurrence and time, of the alarm.

My poor skills with scripts haven't yielded results yet but maybe someone with more skills might make this happen more quickly...

The Following User Says Thank You to slarti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by achilles333 View Post
hi thp,

I wrote a small script to display currency exchange rate. Script uses wget to scrape data. script runs fine from command line. Also it shows results fine in preview area of billboard app. But on standby screen it doesn't show anything.

My observation is if the script execution is more than certain seconds(say 3-5 seconds, due to wget) the app isn't capturing the script output. Can you plz explain how the script is invoked and the output is captured?

As a workaround(may be a better solution to prevent draining battery), i cached the result of script & refresh only if the data is 8 hrs old. So, that the consecutive runs are faster & the app is able to capture output. (but, I still have problem when wget command fires)
thp, Can you please check this out when you have time?

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Which version of Billboard are you using? How many lines of text do you want to display? There's a hard limit of possible lines in order to avoid screen burn in.

Can you plz explain how the script is invoked and the output is captured?
Yes, the script is invoked with a 1000ms time limit in order to avoid "hangs" by badly coded scripts. Output is captured from stdout.

Caching the data is actually a good idea, and you should do that in general (e.g. also in cases where there is no internet connection). Also saves battery power.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post: