Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Converting all the existing database files users might already have would be quite a headache and also some developers might be already working on supporting the format in its current form (IIRC the CloudGPS developer, maybe also some others).
I haven't started working on it yet. You may freely change it - and performance optimisations are always welcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Late V0.27-4 release announcement

What's new ?
  • patch for better handling of imperial units by Gkuenning - thanks !
  • fix overlapping labels on height profile with imperial units
  • modRana now has a profile folder in /home/user/.modrana
  • configuration files are now in the profile folder
    • which means modified configuration files should no longer be overwritten at upgrade (not tested )
  • tracklogs are now in MyDocs/tracklogs
  • cleanup of example tracklogs
  • properly use os.path.join in place of simple concatenation
  • general refactoring and code cleanup
  • remove GUI source files from installation package (~40% package size reduction)
  • postinst cleanup should bring faster installation (no chmod needed anymore, yay )

Also, modRana is taking part in this years MeeGo coding competition.

Last edited by MartinK; 2011-08-02 at 12:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lsolano View Post
MyDocs/Modrana/tracklogs
I have selected just MyDocs/tracklogs, becuase:
  • it is visible for mass-storage (unlike .maps)
  • is not using an application specific namespace and other applications can thus share it without needless confusion
  • in case some users have a folder named like this, modRana never automatically deletes anything inside it, just creates some default folders and adds two example tracklogs

BTW, path to the tracklog folder can be configured in user_config.conf.

MyDocs/Modrana/pois
Mappero stores POI's in .maps/poi.db and modRana supports the same database format, thus enabling sharing (even though it is not on by default). It is possible more applications will add support for POI sharing.

MyDocs/Modrana/config (not sure about this one, maybe it is better ~/.modrana)
Yeah, configuration files should imho really be in the profile folder, to be kept out of the harms way. Some less experienced users might accidentally delete them if they are too easily available. Also, MyDocs is unmounted in mass-storage mode.

Last edited by MartinK; 2011-08-02 at 12:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Martin,
I don't know if I am missing something, but is it not possible to simply search for a location (by address, postcode city etc), and then to have this location shown on the map?

Currently if I want to do this, I have to use the "address to address" routing functionality, and then follow the blue route line all the way along just to see the map of the end point.

It would be nice if there was an option within the 'search' menu to input a location/address and then be taken to this location.

The Following User Says Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
Martin,
I don't know if I am missing something, but is it not possible to simply search for a location (by address, postcode city etc), and then to have this location shown on the map?

Currently if I want to do this, I have to use the "address to address" routing functionality, and then follow the blue route line all the way along just to see the map of the end point.

It would be nice if there was an option within the 'search' menu to input a location/address and then be taken to this location.
This is on my priority list - all the API's/services needed are in place, I just need to do a GUI for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
This is on my priority list - all the API's/services needed are in place, I just need to do a GUI for it.
muchas gracias

The Following User Says Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
I've just installed v0.27-4 and it does not save modified options. I tried to take a look at config files and I do not have a /home/user/.modrana directory :-O

The Following User Says Thank You to lsolano For This Useful Post:
I've just installed v0.27-4 and it does not save modified options. I tried to take a look at config files and I do not have a /home/user/.modrana directory :-O
ModRana should create /home/user/.modrana automatically - I rewrote quite a lot of the path handling code so there might be a few bugs.

Please run modRana from the terminal by typing:
Code:
modrana
And post/pastebin the output so I can see what went wrong (there will probably be some errors or exceptions in the output).

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
I think I know what the problem is (was).

When running modrana from command line, it says:
cannot create directory, file already exists: '/home /user/.modrana'
however, as I said, I had not seen that directory. So I get into my phone via ssh and I see that it does exist /home/user/.modrana, but I was not able to cd into it because it is owned by the root user:
-rw-r--rw- 1 root root 4740 Jul 25 11:46 .modrana
I tried to get inside that directory, but I do not know why I could not. I thought it was a matter of permissions, but it was not:
Nokia-N900-51-1:/home/user# chmod 777 .modrana
Nokia-N900-51-1:/home/user# cd .modrana
-sh: cd: can't cd to .modrana
I erased it, and after that, I ran modrana again, and now I have the proper .modrana directory:
Nokia-N900-51-1:/home/user# ls -l .modrana
-rw-r--r-- 1 user users 3108 Aug 2 11:08 map_config.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 user users 2024 Aug 2 12:39 options.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 user users 5196 Aug 2 11:08 user_config.conf
Curious thing is, I do not remember that I have created that .modrana directory as root.

Here, pastebin before the "workaround", and here, the pastebin after.

...I had not seen that directory. So I get into my phone via ssh and I see that it does exist /home/user/.modrana, but I was not able to cd into it because it is owned by the root user:
Code:
-rw-r--rw-    1 root     root         4740 Jul 25 11:46 .modrana
I tried to get inside that directory, but I do not know why I could not. I thought it was a matter of permissions, but it was not:...
You had a file of 4740 bytes and not a directory, that is why you couldn't cd into it. If it was a directory you sould have had a read out something like:
Code:
drw-r--rw-    1 root     root         4096 Jul 25 11:46 .modrana
Also as read permissons were set for all users you could have still cd into it if it was a directory.

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps