Notices

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Can I also vote for not deleting one-time alarms after they've gone off. For my use case, I have a few non-repeating alarms defined in the stock clock, e.g. for 7.15am, 7.30am, 7.45am etc. Depending on when I need to get up the next day (which doesn't fit any particular pattern, so I cannot use repeating alarms), I tick to activate the required alarm from my list of saved alarms. This is much quicker than having to set the time from scratch. The alarm goes off the next day, is deactivated, but is not deleted, so that I can use it again in the future. For me, that behaviour is perfect.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Can I also vote for not deleting one-time alarms after they've gone off. For my use case, I have a few non-repeating alarms defined in the stock clock, e.g. for 7.15am, 7.30am, 7.45am etc. Depending on when I need to get up the next day (which doesn't fit any particular pattern, so I cannot use repeating alarms), I tick to activate the required alarm from my list of saved alarms. This is much quicker than having to set the time from scratch. The alarm goes off the next day, is deactivated, but is not deleted, so that I can use it again in the future. For me, that behaviour is perfect.
Exactleee. My second use case

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
One final attempt to get things going the right direction.

No more requests for extra features like seconds added.
This replacement clock will never be an exact copy of the original, only a similar one. Keep that in mind please. If someone wants an exact replica on pixel level, I am more than happy to hand the project over to you (or someone else interested in general, AapoRantalainen perhaps? ).

Changes in the latest version:
  • Removed: seconds, to be in line with the stock clock
  • fixed: on the main screen, it only said "Tuesday" is that was the next day for an alarm. It now will say "On Tuesday", like the stock clock
  • Non repeating alarms will be made inactive afterwards. But it seems snoozing makes the alarm shift to that new time (at least the replacement clocks says so, not firmly tested yet)
  • Introduced: notification banner which tells how much time is left till the next alarm (like in the stock clock). For some reason I can't get the plural form of "day" to be displayed, so it will still say "day" instead of "days" in your language. And the banner will appear if the alarm is changed inactive I just noticed. Will try to fix that later. edit: fixed banner appearance when alarm is set inactive.

Last edited by ade; 2012-01-29 at 20:01.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post

Why? It turned out quite good, and it seems that everybody is happy now.

Removed: seconds, to be in line with the stock clock
sorry, but this is a big nonsense. Now people have choice between:
a) clock with seconds, but without one-time alarms staying active.
b) clock without seconds, but with one-time alarms disappearing

Yea, i know that everyone can go and learn to code, but IMO this latest change is irrational, as seconds (*not* resulting in any increased CPU wakeups) was very popular feature.

I'm not sure, but it seems that You're a little too affected by negating lusers like ed_boner.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Why? It turned out quite good, and it seems that everybody is happy now.

sorry, but this is a big nonsense. Now people have choice between:
a) clock with seconds, but without one-time alarms staying active.
b) clock without seconds, but with one-time alarms disappearing

Yea, i know that everyone can go and learn to code, but IMO this latest change is irrational, as seconds (*not* resulting in any increased CPU wakeups) was very popular feature.

I'm not sure, but it seems that You're a little too affected by negating lusers like ed_boner.

/Estel
Estel,

If we see CSSU as a goal, then what are the criteria? I have no minimum requirements and am afraid I will not get them looking at the current issues surrounding the CSSU team.
So any "non standard" choice could be rejected later. Adding seconds can be considered non standard, as well as removing the background. Creating a configuration menu the right way will cost time (don't ask me how many hours I have already spend on this replacement clock ) and will cause language conflicts (I am restricted what the standard clock vocabulary offers me for internationalization).

But that doesn't mean I don't share your preferences. I myself run a "custom" versions with for example seconds added. It is just not in line with the stock clock if that is a rather strict goal. Some members have expressed they do not like the seconds or losing their background. See it as the price of making it mainstream, sorry.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
Hi ade, just saw your screenshots at the first post with the new update.
The icons look very good...
I read the last posts and can imagine it must be a difficult choice for you to please everyone here.
At the moment I'm very happy with the seconds and no background but that is my personal opinion.
Like you said...

If we see CSSU as a goal, then what are the criteria?
This nice extra you created runs perfect besides CSSU for the moment but I can understand you wanting to set a goal.
I'll stick to the previous version for the moment but never the less thx for the update.
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

The Following User Says Thank You to peter2p For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peter2p View Post
Hi ade, just saw your screenshots at the first post with the new update.
The icons look very good...
Yes, my thoughts exactly. It is from the Awoke theme. I put these specific icons on my phone while testing a reported issue and decided to stick with them. The clock icons where too small, so I enlarged them to 164x164. If you are interested in them, I can make them available.

I read the last posts and can imagine it must be a difficult choice for you to please everyone here.
At the moment I'm very happy with the seconds and no background but that is my personal opinion.
Like you said...

This nice extra you created runs perfect besides CSSU for the moment but I can understand you wanting to set a goal.
I'll stick to the previous version for the moment but never the less thx for the update.
Logical choice for you. The code itself is not lost, so decisions on where to go can be altered if required.

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately, also sticking with older version containing seconds.

ade, there is no such thing as "formal" requirements for re-write to be included in CSSU - just use common sense. Look at camera-ui, for example - it's great replacement, with many new features added (*much* bigger than adding seconds to clock view...).

From my perspective, a rule of thumb, is that replacement shouldn't lose functionalities (in meritocratic sense - background image in clock is *not* functionality...), and can add other functionalities, if developer is willing to code them.

Looking at this like that - and, following how camera-ui or Open-Media-Player (the former already in CSSU for ages, the later candidate for being included) did that - "disappearing" one-time alarms can be considered as feature loss an should be avoided, yet, added seconds is benefit without drawbacks, so it's ok. Losing background in landscape view is cosmetic change, not affecting functionality.

/Estel

// Edit
I'm really thankful for all the job You've done, and I imagine, that bringing it to current state required hours of work from You. Just don't get this "mainstream" thing too serious - I would say "relax while coding", if that would be appropriate

I'm pretty sure, that everyone will bless You for releasing a version with small fix (non-disappearing alarms) and seconds *still present* in clock view.

Especially, that it was last bug detected in quite long time, so it's really possible, that it will get into next major cssu-t release.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
If you are interested in them, I can make them available.
Yes please, that would be great I saw the original ones at
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/164x164/hildon
Probably just overwrite them?

Logical choice for you. The code itself is not lost, so decisions on where to go can be altered if required.
To answer you with your own words
Yes, my thoughts exactly.
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

Last edited by peter2p; 2012-01-29 at 14:16.

@peter2p
See attachment.
I think your exact location should be /opt/usr/share/icons/hicolor/164x164/hildon/

@Estel,
Your vision makes sense to me, but it does not mean it is shared by others. I have to take that into account.

After some little fixes to do I will offer some different versions again for download. At least for the time being...
Attached Files
File Type: zip clock_icons.zip (114.8 KB, 88 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:

Tags
clock-ui, replacement, worldclock