Active Topics

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I'm in, too
Dear Ernesto, can I start the italian section of the wiki page starting from you signature?

To everybody else, I would like to stress the importance of a standard signature for Maemo Greeters or at least in the relevant part. What do you think about it?

All the best
Matyas

Toutes les informations utiles (pages encore en anglais) : Présentez-vous à la communauté , L'essentiel pour bien commencer, Débuter sur Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Le Wiki sur Maemo 5 (N900), La FAQ, Le sous-forum dédié aux communautés

En cas de souci, n'hésitez pas à me poser vos questions!

----------------

Benvenuto! Se hai bisogno di aiuto, sono a disposizione.
Ecco dove iniziare (in inglese):

Presentazioni dei nuovi iscritti,Primi passi per nuovi iscritti, Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 5 (N900), FAQ, Subforum della Comunità

In caso di dubbi o domande non esitare: contattami!

The Following User Says Thank You to Matyas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Matyas, between you and smarsh this is taking shape quickly and effectively-- I highly appreciate it!
Finally I can provide my small contribution. Also It is a little test for me, since I would like to understand how much time I can devote to translation and community related activities now that I am free from my academic activities. I really would like to avoid engaging in a project just to drop it a couple of weeks later.

Cheers,
Matyas

Toutes les informations utiles (pages encore en anglais) : Présentez-vous à la communauté , L'essentiel pour bien commencer, Débuter sur Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Le Wiki sur Maemo 5 (N900), La FAQ, Le sous-forum dédié aux communautés

En cas de souci, n'hésitez pas à me poser vos questions!

----------------

Benvenuto! Se hai bisogno di aiuto, sono a disposizione.
Ecco dove iniziare (in inglese):

Presentazioni dei nuovi iscritti,Primi passi per nuovi iscritti, Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 5 (N900), FAQ, Subforum della Comunità

In caso di dubbi o domande non esitare: contattami!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matyas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Matyas View Post
To everybody else, I would like to stress the importance of a standard signature for Maemo Greeters or at least in the relevant part. What do you think about it?
I agree with the idea of a standard, or at least "strongly suggested" signature format-- especially where multi languages are concerned.

But we're still in pilot so let's continue watching this evolve and perhaps we'll settle into a good approach organically.

When the pilot ends (I have no date set, but figure another week) we can see what seems to be working best. But ultimately, I only want to provide suggestions (the wiki page will hold templates) and allow Greeters the freedom to customize their approach. Basically we need some certain consistent information (like Greeter id) and the rest can be up to the individual.

I do want to say I am amazed, impressed and pleased with the enthusiasm so far and it is very gratifying to drop into a random thread somewhere in this forum and see Greeter signatures. That alone proves the value.

The speed with which this took off still blows me away. We should have done something like this long ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Matyas View Post
Dear Ernesto, can I start the italian section of the wiki page starting from you signature?

Frankly, I don't like standards and conformity, but it's just me
Consider my signature as GPL'd for what it's worth.

I also suggest a number of localized pages (one for each language) which explain who are the maemo greeters and what do they do for newbies.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Finland
How about one interactive signature to use for all the greeters. The signature would pull it's data from a db or a webpage, the signature would have a dropdown list or similar to change the language of the signature. This way the information would spread wider as user would find the advices in the right language in more places and not only in couple of greeters signature.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
My reservation with the idea of all greeters giving the identical greeting is that the new people who will be coming are not tidy-minded techies. They're ordinary people who will probably prefer to relate to a person rather than a page. Knowng that greeter X speaks your language (especially if you can pm him/her) is more welcoming than a flat page, IMHO.

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
When I try and copy the sig on the first page, I get a warning that it exceeds the 500 character limit??

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Remove spaces before URL's

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Nice one, I will give this a go, not online every day, but will help where I can..

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Is '101' a generally understood number outside the tech community? I doubt it. It is not even used much in contexts outside English/tech AFAIK. Its very rare in my language... but how about other languages?

I also think Maemo5 should me Maemo 5. But if I'd change this now, many signatures would break.

On wiki page I added a Dutch version feel free to use it or improve it.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: