Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
this makes me think that the real genius behind the iphone isnt the phone itself, but the javascript lib that supposedly makes it dead simple to create a iphone-native page based on your existing page. iphone-native in that one can make the look and feel of the page be very similar to a app installed on the phone itself.

still, i wonder what would happen if one implemented a expesscard slot on the N800. or any "smartphone" for that matter.

also, i suspect that we will soon see some tests of the hp ipaq 210 (the number change depending on where in the world you are, the usa one has 211, the european one seems to be 214) with the latest browser from access (netfront) or opera installed:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/h...B041AA%2523ABA

sure, the screen has lower resolution then the N800, but those two browser are, just like the safari variant on the iphone, designed to compensate for that...

Last edited by tso; 2008-02-26 at 17:45.

Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
You're aware that you can just leave Bluetooth running in hidden mode on your phone, and the tablet will search for WiFi first, and then hit the cell if it doesn't find anything. That's easily the most seamless part of the tablet, is connectivity.
i usually leave bluetooth turned off on the n800 and especially my phone to save battery.

my issue isn;t the necessarily the steps required to make a connection but the clumsiness of doing it "on the run".

sitting in a coffee shop with free internet readily available isn;t so bad. however, seems like there are less and less open routers available today as people close them up due to security anyway....

you wont save much battery over the course of a day, maybe if one talk 2+ days without a charge it will become important...

i am "less is more" kind of guy with regards to tech. if i am not using it, why leave it turned on? old habits die hard. besides that, isn;t open bluetooth sort of a security risk, slim as it may be.

i used to have phones that would die with just 10 minutes of talk time, 18 hours of stand by. my current phone is an LG8300 and am shocked that i actually seem to get about 5 days of standby.

well anyway, to stay on subject i wanted to see about adding a GPS to my N800 as I thought this would be a natural extension and a no brainer upgrade. however, isn;t the Nokia kit about $200 or more? Pricing like that is how Nokia shoots themselves in the foot. not to say that their;s isn;t a quality unit and nokia developers don;t deserve to be compensated but it seems like there is alot of full function GPS units out there for under $200. Plus the initial reviews on the built in GPS in the N810 didn;t sound too glowing......ideally, i;d like to pair up a cheap 3rd party bluetooth GPS to my N800 and the easier Nokia or 3rd party developers can make this, the more N800's will be sold.

i have just done so (applying a third party gps to the N800).
ok so it connects via bluetooth (and that lockon bug seems to be present), but it was dead simple to make use of it alongside maemo mapper (the latter needs some simpler way of managing downloaded maps, unless i have missed something).

Originally Posted by madman999 View Post
i usually leave bluetooth turned off on the n800 and especially my phone to save battery.
Well, try leaving them on, and you will get your "always-on" Internet access, just like the iPhone.

my issue isn;t the necessarily the steps required to make a connection but the clumsiness of doing it "on the run".
Last time I checked, it required exactly 2 clicks with the stylus. This is, if you do not have it connect automatically. Not sure how you define "clumsy", but 2 clicks is not clumsy in my definition.

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Well, try leaving them on, and you will get your "always-on" Internet access, just like the iPhone.

Last time I checked, it required exactly 2 clicks with the stylus. This is, if you do not have it connect automatically. Not sure how you define "clumsy", but 2 clicks is not clumsy in my definition.
i guess "always on" internet isn;t the correct term. a better one would be "instant on" internet. naturally, i wouldn;t leave it "always on" because of cost.

my other example of where "always on/instant on" internet would be useful was in the case of being on the run and there being no free wireless connection available. just my opinion but holding a phone and an n800 in one hand and trying to get connected and use can be little cumbersome especially in a high stress environment like a crowded street with random people passing by. my biggest concern at that point after pulling out $500 worth of electronics is to get my info and put my electronics away as quickly as i can without getting mugged!

so do you all think the current internet tablet is perfect as is? no need or room for improvement?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
my other example of where "always on/instant on" internet would be useful was in the case of being on the run and there being no free wireless connection available. just my opinion but holding a phone and an n800 in one hand and trying to get connected and use can be little cumbersome especially in a high stress environment like a crowded street with random people passing by. my biggest concern at that point after pulling out $500 worth of electronics is to get my info and put my electronics away as quickly as i can without getting mugged!
Why the hell are you holding the phone? To connect to a cellphone for internet: Tap the connection applet, tap connect. Done.

i guess "always on" internet isn;t the correct term. a better one would be "instant on" internet. naturally, i wouldn;t leave it "always on" because of cost.
i would rather refer to it as always available rather then always on.

about the only reason for always on would be im.

but if one could get im, mail and mobile messaging to cooperate one would not so much need the net to be always on in the current sense.

say if one could add ones mobile phone number or similar to gtalk or some other xmpp server, and then one would instantly go to a "mobile" status if one was not logged on to said server.

or one could get the traffic routed to ones push mail service (ok, so that requires a kind of always on setup). still, doing im over the latter...

as i think about it, its more cultural then technical that seperates mail from im and sms. the latter ones are more about near real-time communication. hell, i know icq have/had a feature that a irc like, to the point of sending individual key presses between contacts (watching the text being typed was a interestingly strange experience), while mail is more about writing
"formal" sized texts more often then not...

well i had to take my phone out, enable bluetooth on the phone and make sure it paired correctly to my internet tablet and that the phone actually connected to the internet.

i suppose i could leave it in my pocket if I did as you suggested which is to leave bluetooth turned on but for best signal and reliability, i am usually taking the phone out. like i said, old habits die hard. i would tend to turn bluetooth off afterwards as I wouldn;t want my tablet randomly connecting to the internet via the phone if I did not need it. i don;t exactly have an unlimited data plan. btw, i did have this weird issue where my IT would randomly turn itself on so it could be a concern.

Last edited by madman999; 2008-02-26 at 19:51.