Active Topics

Notices

At least there IS android integration.
If you have only nitDroid your apps are completely separed from maemo.

Now you can boot nitDroid and go to google market place. Every application you install and every document you work on is also available in maemo.

Now you can restart maemo and use everything from android together with the (better performing) native applications from maemo.
You can even communicate with android users and the documents they work on. And you can transform everything you give and get by maemo applications.

The Following User Says Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:
There is a big difference in quality of android applications and maemo.
Maemo native applications perform much better and are better designed.
They integrate in the whole systems.

Android applications are like idiots.
They are not necessary and after a time replaced by real native applications.

Google apps are a nice decoration not more and not less.

...And if you have them you can communicate with much other users outside the little but effective n900 world.

Last edited by gerdich; 2011-02-08 at 14:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
"ALL Android apps will run on Meego OS soon, what will happen?" (8 posts) has been merged into this thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Birmingham - UK
Originally Posted by sophocha View Post
its about time nokia pay for their mistakes concerning the n900.its going to bite them in the a*** just because they abandoned this wonderful phone.lets hope that this app will be available commercially.now if nokia does something to bury this project i will be pissed!
This App will be available to OEMs, operators and application stores. So as long as its taken up by them, then end users will be able to use it.

"ALL Android apps will run on Meego OS soon, what will happen?"

If Meego doesn't accelerate its progress anything else will happen:

"All Android apps will run on Maemo and Meego won't happen"

I'm waiting for a new version of meego for the n900.
I've told to myself: "If meego 1.2 is out I'll finally install it on my SD!"

About time there were some good news for our platform
Let's hope this isn't an air castle.

I am also awaiting for the day where we have many apps to run on maemo. But if this can be acheived by someone why can't someone from the community do it. I am not aware of the technicalities but that would be really great like the community ssu.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Chicago, US
Good news! I have been saying for a long time that someone should port dalvik and adapt the library bindings to maemo/meego (maybe I should sue them and claim they stole my idea, like in the facebook movie ).

It seems "Alien Dalvik" will be commercial, closed source. First I was surprised by this but it seems the Apache 2 license allows you to make changes and distribute binaries without having to publish your changes (?).

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
It doesn't look like this is an end-user android layer, but a way for developers to repackage apps written for android to run on Maemo and Meego (and, if it uses Qt correctly, on symbian). I wouldn't expect an app that lets you download and run android apps, but I would look for apps to come out more quickly for multiple platforms (hopefully including ours).

Rovio has shown a willingness to produce apps for multiple platforms, including N900. I hope this might convince others to do this as well. It could also get app developers to consider Android as their first choice instead of iOS because they could more quickly roll out to about 2/3 of the world's smartphones and then port to iOS later. And I would expect this to be targeted at (and priced for) big app writers like banks and adobe and qik and not Joe Schmo in his parents' basement.

In short: great news, cool technology, but not an app we will be installing and using.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
As a former OS/2 user who saw developers use Windows support as an excuse to not making native OS/2 applications, and users who realized there was no point in using OS/2 if all the apps they used were Windows apps, please excuse me if I refrain from celebrating and sit back and watch with a skeptical eye...

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:

Tags
2014 no dalvik, android, dalvik, its christmas!, java vm, just shoot me, maemo, meegdroid, meego