Notices

To speed up firefox it is better to disable flash (as is by default). It seems that I enabled it in a previous version (with about:config, plugins) and this setting was not resetted by all the updates which followed. Now I have disabled flash again, and firefox is much faster now.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
IMHO rendering is not the problem of Firefox. The problem is that it interacts with the OS very slow.

One example: Try to listen to music via bluetooth stereo headset, reading mails and jump often back to Firefox... it freezes very often and the whole system becomes unusable.

I do like the Firefox UI concept and also the plugins but at the moment I can't use this browser as default one. It's getting better from version to version but is far away from it's goal to be a real alternative browser.

Me on twitter

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
One more thing I noticed... if this is supposed to be using the same rendering engine as the desktop Firefox or even Microb, I call BS. Facebook is a good example. The bar at the bottom with your chats is hovering annoyingly in the middle of the page, which indicates sub par html/javascript/css interpretation (or coding on Facebook's part). Still it's not working the same way as in other browsers. Wonder why?
Typically mobile browsers don't support fixed elements for performance reasons. You can see exactly the same behavior in iPhone's Mobile Safari.

In any case, the updated Firefox seems a big improvement performance-wise. I just configured my browser switchboard to make Firefox the default browser. We'll see how that works. Maybe Firefox Sync is worth a big lower browsing performance

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by mtjioe View Post
To speed up firefox it is better to disable flash (as is by default). It seems that I enabled it in a previous version (with about:config, plugins) and this setting was not resetted by all the updates which followed. Now I have disabled flash again, and firefox is much faster now.
Or you could enable flash and install Adblock Plus, that way only "useful" flash files will load.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
there is a mobile add-on named Clipboard which provides copy function
You probably all know this already, but you can click with your mouse anywhere in a text in firefox and then start highlighting stuff with shift-arrow right or shift-arrow left. Copy as you normally do with ctrl-c and paste with ctrl-v.

Tested it yesterday and works for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
You probably all know this already, but you can click with your mouse anywhere in a text in firefox and then start highlighting stuff with shift-arrow right or shift-arrow left. Copy as you normally do with ctrl-c and paste with ctrl-v.

Tested it yesterday and works for me.
too bad it doesn't work with swedish keyboard

is it possible to copy with a swedish keyboard?

Last edited by poka64; 2010-07-02 at 10:34.

This new version of Firefox is very fast on my N900.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
Still no "mouse mode" to enable text copy for later pasting...!
You can install the clipboard plugin, it allows you to long-press on a text element to copy to clipboard. Not as versatile as a proper mouse mode but usable.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
The "Save as PDF" function is rather cool.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by poka64 View Post
too bad it doesn't work with swedish keyboard

is it possible to copy with a swedish keyboard?
Really? I am using the "Finnish" keyboard and it's working great... I would think they are the same! We even have the letter "å".

Do you have white arrows left and right or do you have to press the "blue button" to get them? One caveat is that you can't see that you've selected the beginning of a line. Just press the first letter (or immediately left of it) that you want to select - then you just start pressing shift-arrow-right to copy characters.

Jag är dessutom svenskspråkig själv...

Tags
fennec, firefox