Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
Gerbick, I know that. So what, it shows that the previous regime (OPK & board) failed. So the savior was brought in, share prices moved up slightly. Then the new strategy was announced, and the stock tanked again. Looks like the market thinks that the current regime (Elop & board) failed.
They've already failed, it was a very slow bleed from 2007 to now. If things were left to their own devices, it would have been an epic fail sooner or later.

So we do have the continuation of failure, apparently not a change to the better.
Agree on the continuation of failure.

What is your point?
Don't overlook that 2007 was the last great year. The board of directors know that quite well. Blaming the accumulated failure being blamed on the current strategies and on Elop tends to overlook what came before that last announcement.

What's my point? Don't be daft and overlook the whole truth - Nokia's been on a downhill trajectory for 4 years.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Where's MeeGo, Rugoz? Oh that's right - it doesn't exist in a saleable form. The CEO of Nokia says MeeGo isn't ready and you're simply going to claim it is?
I bought the N900 exactly one year ago, and I liked it better than android at that time, hell some things are still better today. IMO portrait mode was lacking, otherwise fine. That tells me engineers at nokia are able to do it.

If I would have never used the N900 I would agree with you.

Now harmattan devel. started maybe 1.5 years ago, and they have Trolltech helping them with UI stuff. I think it should be ready or ready soon or something went terribly wrong.

But what do I know?

Also everybody says symbian sucks, I used symbian for a long time, and it was superior to any other smartphone OS (in some regards it still is). Nokia can't do software? My ***.

Last edited by Rugoz; 2011-02-14 at 01:39.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
@PXA270
I think you are partly correct as to why people are hating on Elop and Nokia. While you may say we are wrong and Nokia is in a tight spot lets look at the history of Elop, Microsoft and Nokia. Most of this I knew and some I learned from others on this forum.

Elop came from a company named Macromedia and sold Macromedia to Adobe, their was a program called Director which was like Flash on steroids and my personal opinion had more advanced features then Flash has now. Adobe took over Macromedia and killed Director as it would cause competition internally and also if sold to another company and Director died.
Source: http://piacentini.blog.br/2011/02/elop-is-after-me/

Microsoft is a good and bad up company at the same time. Microsoft does not innovate until they get pressured by competition. Microsoft is also a company filled with failures
ZUNE-Fail, WMA-Fail, Backing HD DVD-Fail, Mobile 6.5-Fail, Windows Tablets-Fail, BOB-Fail, Windows ME-Fail, UMPC's-Fail, Kin-Fail, Passing on YouTube-Fail....thats off my head their is a super long list I cant find right now but about 20 more is missing.
This is the part that should scare you!
Microsoft and the KIN. Microsoft took over a phone OS development group called Danger for $500 Million. They responsible for the T-Mobile SideKick. Microsoft then kills off the SideKick and releases the KIN and could not sell 8,000 of them. That a $500 Million dollar loss. The SideKick is no more and the SideKick community which was huge is no more(I'm one of them).

Nokia a strong company who gained the trust of millions by embracing Open development, quality phones and keeping customer loyalty. If you understand Symbian3 you would understand they are not a burning platform as Elop says how ever their bad decisions to release a OS only to kill is has put them in this place and it is Nokia's fault.

WP7 sold 2 Million phones on different Hardware manufactures.
Symbian sold 6 to 8 on just Nokia in the same time.

Nokia has been making bad decisions for some time now, is this just another.

With know all this, would you being Nokia make the same decision?
And will you be buying a Nokia/WP7?
Now I ask you, should we not be mad?

[please post corrections]

Last edited by deyons; 2011-02-14 at 02:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to deyons For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by number41 View Post
Dude, if sales meant anything about quality, Justin Bieber and Britney Spears wouldn't sell shitloads of records.
But they do sell shitloads of records. I've never heard a one, but I'm sure people with different (I won't say lesser) tastes than I buy those records.

Truth is, what most of us are angry about is that all that Maemo was is about to cease exist, in one form or another.
100% agree. But I think clarity of exactly why that's come to pass is what is lacking in all of this vitriolic banter. Maemo was killed due to sheer incompetence, bad management and ultimately Nokia not realizing what exactly they had from the 770 to the N900.

Simply stated, they didn't capitalize. This is what happens when you do that.

This device is about to go down in history as a revolutionary device that didn't happen due to bad management decisions, and never again will we see anything close to it from nokia, if Ms is truly at the helm of Nokia.
Disagree slightly. Bad management, a beta device that could have been revolutionary, half-delivered.

MS is at the helm now because of prior bad decisions. That's a harsh truth.

And guess what, in spite of what really sells, I could really use another Maemo device, with updated specs. I'm afraid this will be no more.
Agree fully. Gladly, I've found a level of comfort with Android.

Too bad it's a forced happiness.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

What's my point? Don't be daft and overlook the whole truth - Nokia's been on a downhill trajectory for 4 years.
Why do you assume I overlook that? I really don't understand what your point is.

Okay, Nokia is on a downward trajectory for 4 years. Nokia announces new strategy and stock tanks further. So what's new?

I do not like the new strategy at all, and the stock market seems to agree.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by deyons View Post
@PXA270

Nokia a strong company who gained the trust of millions by embarrassing Open development,
I know you meant "embracing", I found it funny though..

The Following User Says Thank You to cBeam For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
Why do you assume I overlook that? I really don't understand what your point is.
Then you've chosen to overlook my point.

Oh well... continue.

Okay, Nokia is on a downward trajectory for 4 years. Nokia announces new strategy and stock tanks further. So what's new?

I do not like the new strategy at all, and the stock market seems to agree.
The stock market hasn't agreed in 4+ years. Nothing new indeed.

So why complain? Because this failure has a name and a face attached to it and a past that's connected to Microsoft?

Whatever... just continue as-is. It's your point that I'm somehow overlooking, if there was one.

I get it folks. Elop bad. Ballmer worse. Microsoft is the worst. Maemo, MeeGo are the best. Nokia was the answer.

Too bad the stock market didn't see that, nor will the creditors in a few weeks after 4 years of faith.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I would smile if MeeGo succeeded in the future and driven alone by Intel and some other company. If MeeGo success in two years time then I can see Nokia come back and beg Intel to forgive them for the stupid mistake. I want to see Elop Fail.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Nokia had never listen to consumer point of view or what consumers want in their device. Nokia always a self stimulated company, and never care about the customers.

If only they will listen and add what consumers really wanted into their device then they wouldn't fail like now. Look at Apple, they did their research and trails for better result, look at Android providing what customers really wanted, and soon will be WebOS. The company that drives along with the consumer's needs and request will live on to see some success.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
The New Nokia:

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Tags
bada rox, meego rip