Notices

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Ast007 View Post
(Charging) : I charge it at random times, i don't necessary wait till it is low.I like to keep it topped up.
That is not the best for the battery - lipo's like neither being drained nor filled-to-the-brim. IIR, from down to15% and up to 85% capacity would do best, or thereabouts. The relatively short-legs of smartphones make that practically very difficult to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
That is not the best for the battery - lipo's like neither being drained nor filled-to-the-brim. IIR, from down to15% and up to 85% capacity would do best, or thereabouts. The relatively short-legs of smartphones make that practically very difficult to do.
IIRC, heavy industry (trains) use 20%-80% thresholds, but it's indeed about same thing. People still have NiCD/NiMH habits of "refreshing" by full charge.discharge, which are totally inappropriate to LiIon family.

Originally Posted by Ast007 View Post
A follow up question. My battery widget is at 0% but bnf is 63%. Voltage is above 3425 and VDQ remains at one. I think maybe something is wrong with bme? that it is causing this issue? Could bnf have modified it?
It means - sadly for you - that your battery is closer to 800 mAh, than the 1700 mAh suggested in last post

While being (non)calibrated for 1699 mAh, your chip "thinks" it's at 63% left 'till 3000 mV (0 mAh - it calibrates at 3248 mV, which should mean 6% left), but in reality, it is 3425 mV, so *very* close to end of discharge. If you calibrate this time, you will notice lower indicated value (something like 1300 mAh, probably), but you need few more calibration cycles, until you get the real value. As said, I suspect something like 800 mAh, which means very poor battery performance.

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
@Estel

Could I make a request for bnf.

Feature that run the script to calibrate the battery etc.

Making it easier then it already is
#1 Nokia N900 Feb- 2011 - June - 2013 (Dead motherboard)
#2 Nokia N900 July-2013 (CSSU Stable) - Present
#3 Nokia N900 April-2014 (CSSU Thumb) - Present

The Following User Says Thank You to Ast007 For This Useful Post:
IIRC, there is already tool for it (kerio written one?). I haven't implemented this, as I think that artificially "wasting" current misses the point. When you calibrate, you want to use your device as normal as it gets, to have your relative capacity as calibrated value.

f you make current higher than usual, you will get your value rounded down, and during regular usage, you will have to mentally "add" some capacity, when it's down to 6%. The same but reversed, in opposite case. so, IMO, the key is to just - from time to time, when it doesn't require effort - let device discharge to < 3248 mV, after a busy day for device (or few days, as in my case, with ~3300 mAh battery). Once per month, or so (at least once for 32 charging cycles).

Having BME FOSS replacement makes it even easier - you just allow device to gently turn down due to low power, no bme disabling and voltage monitoring (BME replacement ensured, that device will shutdown *after* calibration took place, unless you're pressing it under extreme - like 1A - current draw during end of discharge) things.

Of course, if someone want to volunteer writing a script that matches bnf "architecture" ( ), I'll gladly include it in update, with all credits and kudos - but, myself, I'm not very interested in writing a "forced calibration" script, because, as I said, I think it misses the point of calibration during real-world usage.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
IIRC, there is already tool for it (kerio written one?). I haven't implemented this, as I think that artificially "wasting" current misses the point. When you calibrate, you want to use your device as normal as it gets, to have your relative capacity as calibrated value.

f you make current higher than usual, you will get your value rounded down, and during regular usage, you will have to mentally "add" some capacity, when it's down to 6%. The same but reversed, in opposite case. so, IMO, the key is to just - from time to time, when it doesn't require effort - let device discharge to < 3248 mV, after a busy day for device (or few days, as in my case, with ~3300 mAh battery). Once per month, or so (at least once for 32 charging cycles).

Having BME FOSS replacement makes it even easier - you just allow device to gently turn down due to low power, no bme disabling and voltage monitoring (BME replacement ensured, that device will shutdown *after* calibration took place, unless you're pressing it under extreme - like 1A - current draw during end of discharge) things.

Of course, if someone want to volunteer writing a script that matches bnf "architecture" ( ), I'll gladly include it in update, with all credits and kudos - but, myself, I'm not very interested in writing a "forced calibration" script, because, as I said, I think it misses the point of calibration during real-world usage.

/Estel
What tool is out there? Name?
Reason I asked as I used a method u had posted, but in xterm vdq value was 0.

RE: BME I have 3 options installed - Nokia's BME, Alternative and Dummy. I use the first one.
#1 Nokia N900 Feb- 2011 - June - 2013 (Dead motherboard)
#2 Nokia N900 July-2013 (CSSU Stable) - Present
#3 Nokia N900 April-2014 (CSSU Thumb) - Present

The Following User Says Thank You to Ast007 For This Useful Post:
No idea, it was never put into repos, just a script as attachment "somewhere" on forum. I vaguely recall kerio creating one such script, and something tells me that there was a joerg_rw's version floating around.

Just keep in mind, that if your VDQ was 0 for any_reason, then script wouldn't help you.

As for "3 options installed" - nope, you got it totally wrong. What you're referring to is set of options in Advanced Power Monitor, which let you choose which algorithm to calculate capacity (based on voltage) you want to use - regular Nokia's BME, Alternative graph by dr_frost_dk, or disable it at all (dummy). All three of them are guesswork, not real calibrated capacity provided by chip.

BTW, using BME replacement and battery applet status replacement, you don't need Advanced Power Monitor at all - in such setup it's obolete.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Indonesia
hai estel, can you show me howtos change BNF icon ?
just to please my eyes only , i love colour full icon

The Following User Says Thank You to supergaban For This Useful Post:
edit the /usr/share/applications/hildon/bnf.desktop file, and point the ''icon'' to any location with your new icon

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Indonesia
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
edit the /usr/share/applications/hildon/bnf.desktop file, and point the ''icon'' to any location with your new icon

/Estel
thank you estel

The Following User Says Thank You to supergaban For This Useful Post:
I really dont understand why it doesnt work for me. I'v searched the forum and its like i'm d only one having this problem. When i type 'bnf' in xterm, I get the message
.Error: Read failed
usr/sbin/bnf-i2c: line 45: syntax error: * 3570 / 20 / 1000
sudo bnf does nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to speedonwilliam For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery, bnf script, bq27200, bq27x00, charging