Active Topics

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
there is a New MeeGo VP Alberto Torres so it looks like this was a planned resignation b/c Jaaksi was replaced fast.
http://www.nokia.com/about-nokia/cor...alberto-torres

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Alberto Torres has been EVP (the "E" is important) of MeeGo Computers for a while now. See for instance this thread from May: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54425

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
An OS is only as good as its software. This is where Maemo failed.
I donīt get you? Are you trying to say that to people who are able to customize their device and run same scripts and apps as on their desktop linuxes the maemo is failure?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
probably he is reason why Ari left, ppl with Ego's as big his don't like answering to others especially new ppl

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by slender View Post
I donīt get you? Are you trying to say that to people who are able to customize their device and run same scripts and apps as on their desktop linuxes the maemo is failure?
I think that is what he said.
I think he meant more like anyone uses "LINUX" is a failure. He said all the netbooks and stuff now a day, maemo AKA Linux is a failured!

I'd like to see the underdog winning at the end

Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
Not just business professionals, but economic science as a whole is overrated. I'm sure Nokia has tonnes of business professionals, that didn't help them one bit from getting into the predicament they have currently managed to get themselves into.

If Nokia was being run by any decent leader, Symbian would've been dropped years ago and the entire Ovi Team would've been out on their asses long ago now. Fact is it wasn't, and now with OPK getting the boot FINALLY something is being done to straighten out this organization.
Funny that you mention the tonnes of Nokia business professionals in this thread about Jaaksi.
You do realize that Jaaksi is an engineer? PhD in software engineering, not management or something.

However you feel about Symbian, it still is the most used smartphone OS in the world and Nokia makes a lot (most?) of her money selling Symbian phones. So the decision to use Symbian isn't that bad from a economical point of view.

Some former Nokia employees told a newspaper that they think Nokias biggest problem is that hardware comes first. This mentality can negatively impact software and services development.

It may not be fair to point at the ovi team as the problem if a ovi service fails to deliver a good user experience, because it is very much linked to aspects of the Symbian OS and the used hardware.
For example: If the phone has little RAM that affects the user experience of the OS and as a consequence also of the Ovi applications.

Last edited by Bernard; 2010-10-05 at 22:50.

everyone on here judges Ovi services by the sorry state they are on Maemo 5, which is unfair b/c OVI Maps on symbian is awesome, Ovi store is now growing into something big and are now at 2.5 million downloads a day.
Ovi Music struggled for first year but even that is one of the biggest music download services in some territories.
seriously OVI services are some of the best things going on nokia symbian devices. you have to judge things by where they are now not where they was when launched.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
The two execs that I didn't want to see leave were Vanjoki and Jaaksi. .
Likewise.

I want to be optimistic like Quim (and hope he survives any change yet to come) but it's a struggle. Of course I was briefly involved with the Maemo device program and things didn't turn out so rosy for me.

Personal regret aside, I'm concerned for Nokia in general IF this exodus continues. Because while the generals are leaving, foot soldiers are still being laid off (more in our area just this recently).

So being optimistic is getting more and more difficult. At this point I'm just gritting my teeth with every bit of disturbing news... while writing cathartically with what faith is left.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Come on guys. You only need 242 more requests for "Nokia must use Android", and Nokia will release a limited edition Nokia Android device (122 copies printed). So keep on requesting it, you may get listed in "credits" for the phone.

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

Tags
suomiexitnok