I WANT to love my N800 like those of you who have posted. My main complaint is one of performance while browsing and with video playback. Are there any tips or techniques to tune the device? I have heard that several of you use Skype - the thoughts of using Skype on my N800 make me shake my head - there is no way my unit could handle the video for that. Am i doing something wrong?

David

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by fisherdmin View Post
I WANT to love my N800 like those of you who have posted. My main complaint is one of performance while browsing and with video playback. Are there any tips or techniques to tune the device? I have heard that several of you use Skype - the thoughts of using Skype on my N800 make me shake my head - there is no way my unit could handle the video for that. Am i doing something wrong?

David
All on my video I play locally off the internal SD memory. Even my favorite YouTube videos are saved to my memory. And yes, I use Skype every day . . . . but it does not support video. When I was up in Canada, there were areas were I had no cell phone reception. I connected my N800 to the motel's WiFi and called (voice) the phones of my friends and relatives. It does of course cost a few cents per minute. However, my calls to any computer is totally free.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by fisherdmin View Post

David

Web Browsing?: which browser? Tear is pretty fast for me...

Video: Transcoding is your friend. Playback is OK to good depending on the amount of action in the scene...my goto standard is the foyer scene in The Matrix.

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Athens, Greece
fisherdmin: I suggest that you give Opera 10 Mobile for maemo a try.

For me, it gave new life to my N800. I actually use it for browsing! Opera Mobile is fast compared to Tear, which was already ages ahead the default browser.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Does it still peg the CPU at 100%?

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
In Opera, is there a 'Fit view to width' option as there is in the default browser?

I read news sites formatted for mobile devices like www.thestar.com/iphone . With Opera, when I increase the font size, I have to scroll all over the place to read an article. It doesn't reformat to match my screen width.

In the default browser, everything fits perfectly on the screen, no matter which level of magnification I use. Reading longer articles is a breeze on the default browser.

Thanks to all who have replied. Tear didn't work for me (slower than the browser I am currently using) and now that I know that the skype connection is for voice only, I am much more content with my N800.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
In Opera, is there a 'Fit view to width' option as there is in the default browser?

I read news sites formatted for mobile devices like www.thestar.com/iphone . With Opera, when I increase the font size, I have to scroll all over the place to read an article. It doesn't reformat to match my screen width.

In the default browser, everything fits perfectly on the screen, no matter which level of magnification I use. Reading longer articles is a breeze on the default browser.
supposedly opera do reflow. But only for text areas, not the whole page. At least not in opera mobile.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post

I haven't tried Opera Mobile yet. But as a replacement for Fit View to Width, I find, when using Tear, that Readability usually does the trick very well. (If not familiar, Google Readability generally; for making it work on a NIT, Google it for this forum.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Gotta chime in! I'm still loving my N800. I recently bought an iphone 3gs16g for phone use and PIM and it is just fine, but I feel its like a Cadillac and my N800 is a Jaguar.
Doing some painting and handy man work, and I always have my N800 to scan for an open Wifi neighbor and then stream music while I work at various client's homes. Movies and media are just fine and the bigger screen is unbeatable with stand and stereo speakers. Double SD and no damn keyboard! I love it!
My favorite pastime is saving Utube videos and ripping dvd's from the local Library and transferring to tablet. free free free.

So much 1st class functionality still there and hardly feeling 'that' out of date. Heck most are still catching up to it.

Just my positive two cents worth and a shout out to all the die-hard N800 friends.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iontruo2 For This Useful Post: