Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Personal computing devices were a mistake, mainframes are the answer!
That's why we have all this "cloud" stuff these days. You will be back to a dumb terminal perhaps a mobile one

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
That's why we have all this "cloud" stuff these days. You will be back to a dumb terminal perhaps a mobile one
Exactly. Particularly annoying with navigation solutions. That is one thing you definitely want to be stand-alone. You have a tool in your pocket 10x more powerful than what you had on your desk 10 years ago. So why on earth are almost all navigation solutions cloud based?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
only thing i dont know is why i want a jolla and not something else ? do you
i mean what advantage a intex jolla provides in any frontier.
Exactly. THIS is the big question and THIS is where Jolla needs to put all their focus if they want to succeed in any meaningful way. As of now, they are just Yet Another Mobile Platform™. They really need to work harder on selling themselves. What is the main attraction? Why should anyone buy them and not another Android, for example?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Exactly. Particularly annoying with navigation solutions. That is one thing you definitely want to be stand-alone. You have a tool in your pocket 10x more powerful than what you had on your desk 10 years ago. So why on earth are almost all navigation solutions cloud based?
Because this is the solution for realtime information. You need a point to sync it between peers (look for example at waze which is the best car navigation with realtime updates of heavy traffic and works and everything on the road) . There is possibility to make decentralize thing, but information exchange and being online is extra plus and step forward. The problem is that you can't trust proprietary solution as you do not know what information they get and what they do with it :/ So it's basically where comfort of solution is so high that you give up the privacy is where they win. That's why I say there is no need on other closed OS.If they use linux as base and use FOSS, doesn't mean we can trust them 100%

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
[OT]I don't know about you but I have to pay for a onnection. Plus, of course, the idea of a mobile navigation is to get you around an unfamiliar terrain, where you are not even guaranteed to have a connection. Or where the connection is bloody expensive, such as when roaming. All of these speak for an offline solution. Things like realtime updates are a nice convenience but they should be optional, not an excuse to force me to go all out online.[/OT]

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
just another troll from a teenager who probably has no clue about business. It always good whining about no open sourcle blablabla. Why the f... is there no one intrested in working with plasma mobile or Nemo mobile then!?!?!

Instead cry at Jolla not open source. Sorry guys but open source SFOS does not help Jolla in any way. Only Stallman fanatics do think that is the solution!
i have to agree, even if i dont like it. Nemo Mobile's paypal account for collect something for helping developers do their job is still at 0.00...before that account was created someone was complaining about the fact it wasnt possible to donate with paypal. Now, that account has been created, nothing has changed.
So i am slowly convincing myself, just a noob of FOSS, that pretending and claiming for Open Source and shouting its philosophy is just an excuse to take everything you want without giving anything back. sorry for my bitter words, but i am too much sincere, i guess

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
i have to agree, even if i dont like it. Nemo Mobile's paypal account for collect something for helping developers do their job is still at 0.00...before that account was created someone was complaining about the fact it wasnt possible to donate with paypal. Now, that account has been created, nothing has changed.
So i am slowly convincing myself, just a noob of FOSS, that pretending and claiming for Open Source and shouting its philosophy is just an excuse to take everything you want without giving anything back. sorry for my bitter words, but i am too much sincere, i guess
This is unfortunately true, at least to some extent.

However, I still believe that partly open sourcing, or dual/triple licensing Sailfish OS could be a wise move. Nemo and Mer are a bit far from functional product people use every day so it's no wonder there is limited interest in them even if effort put into them also benefits Sailfish. Mere licensing change won't cut it though, there would need to be an infrastructure and processes to support co-development, accepting patches, documentation etc. And of course there is the hurdle with some parts being kept out of public (in regard to future products, etc). But still, IMO it would be the best way, now that the foundation and UI is more or less solid.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
Nemo Mobile's paypal account for collect something for helping developers do their job is still at 0.00...before that account was created someone was complaining about the fact it wasnt possible to donate with paypal. Now, that account has been created, nothing has changed.
If you are referring to me I am still waiting for a bitcoin alternative since I am boycotting Paypal due to their treatment of wikileaks. Besides that I agree that it is sad that there so little interest in supporting Mer/Nemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tealc For This Useful Post:
No, i wasnt referring to anyone in particular since i really didnt remember who was and i am not interested to it. it was a general statement. I really dont want to blame anyone, was just a thought

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
@taelc however i have an account for bitcoin, but i really dont know so much of how it works, can i ask you something about it in PM??
i agree that paypal is to blame for the behaviour that have had with WL...but just like Visa,mastercard....and we haven't been boycotting those ones. they are ****ing bast*rds

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post: