Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by arkanoid View Post
Imagine taking fast lecture or meeting notes, the usage pattern is self-explaining ;-)
Imagine using plain old paper for fast note-taking, especially in meetings you should not be irritated by all the electronic gadgets. If you really want to integrate your gadget into the data collection process, make a photo of your notes with the camera (or use a scanner in the office for better quality).

In short: Not really the main use case, as I personally believe that one can't really beat the speed of paper notetaking with such devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ofels View Post
As it already can visualise graphics (though self drawn) it should not be a big deal to import arbitrary graphics (png, gif, jpeg, etc.) to the canvas. Notecase (http://notecase.sf.net) could do this (but not draw on them). PDF would also be great (like xournal and then comment on them)
Yes, importing graphics (just like text) would be a nice feature - please file it as feature request at the bug tracker so we can keep track of it (developers search the bug tracker if they want to implement something, as it's easier to do than hunt down cool ideas in a several-page-long forum thread).

Most likely no PDF, though. As you already mentioned, there's Xournal already filling that use case quite well

Originally Posted by ofels View Post
As mentioned before a search facility comes in handy, type as you search prefered
Yes, that's also what I want. At first, just for filtering down the list of nodes in the main view, but in a later stage hopefully also in contents (rich text and checklist - no search inside sketches, obviously).

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Yes, importing graphics (just like text) would be a nice feature - please file it as feature request at the bug tracker so we can keep track of it (developers search the bug tracker if they want to implement something, as it's easier to do than hunt down cool ideas in a several-page-long forum thread).
Done: https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...1291&atid=4823

Most likely no PDF, though. As you already mentioned, there's Xournal already filling that use case quite well
Xournal has some features I use (of which PDF commenting is one) and MaePad has others while some are intersecting and each tool is missing things the other has- thus I have to do the same job in two different tools.
So I would like to have the capabilities I benefit of be perferably collected in one tool.

Same thing with notecase- my perfect tool would have the outliner capabilities of notecase pro with the ability to sketch and draw (plus checklists) like MaePad does plus the paint and PDF capabilities of Xournal. Not to speak of the Wiki linking as Conboy does. Did I already say "sync"?
I know I can't have it all

Thanks for caring anyway, good work.

The Following User Says Thank You to ofels For This Useful Post:
Added another feature request to the feature tracker:

Wiki style linking like Conboy does would definitely increase the usability of MaePad. This can include:
- Automatic expansion of telephone numbers to be accessed when clicking on it
- Automatic expansion of web and mail addresses to be opened when clicking on it
- Automatic linking to other notes as soon as MaePad encounters a note name which has already been mentioned.

Of course only in rich texts and check lists.

Those features could be implemented step by step starting with addresses (web, mail, phone numbers), no need to do it all at once

The Following User Says Thank You to ofels For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by claesbas View Post
I now see what you mean that these icons can have different states. I didn't get that first. I made icons for the shape tool
Integrated, thanks. Will be part of the next release.

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
> 1. Keep "Add Note" somehow on screen while I am browsing the long list of un-rolled tree?

Definitely possible, but it will take away precious vertical screen space. You will be able to see one less entry if we are going to keep the button visible all the time. An alternative would be an item in the AppMenu or a hardware key shortcut. If you like this, please add it as feature request to the bug tracker.
What (AppMenu or long-press menu) has sense.

I guess with "roll/unroll" you mean "expand/collapse"? If so, we don't really want to implement this right now (as it turns out to be difficult with the interaction model of the treeviews - touch = "activate").
Thank you for answer but the only value of MaePad versus another notekeeper applications for me is a tree of notes. Absence of expand/collapse feature totally nullify this, sorry.

My long experience with Palm V/m500 shows me that it is the only way to find out the most of notes because you don't remember the exact words to search it. I keep my note by association which means - to find a note I go through section (business/finance/etc) first, then subsection etc. Search usually pulls too much unwanted notes.

Yes, that's also what I want. At first, just for filtering down the list of nodes in the main view, but in a later stage hopefully also in contents (rich text and checklist - no search inside sketches, obviously).
Note what the current maemo.org news states regarding the next hildon updates:
Apart from tons of bug fixes and speed improvements, perhaps the most easily noticeable change in Hildon that you’ll see in the upcoming Maemo update is the new “live search” feature for tree views.
This might be a useful information to consider regarding search as you type in maepad.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ofels For This Useful Post:
I think the tool you want is Aniello's Xournal. Merging texts and sketches is not really an aim of MaePad, and it would take much time to implement. Given that Xournal already has this functionaliy, I'd rather not have it in MaePad, and concentrate on features unique to MaePad.
There is no text note functionality in Xournal, or do i miss something?

Yes, it uses maemo-optify.

Check out the file contents of the .deb file. There should be files having an /opt path. It's a bit more difficult (as is the whole optification thingie), but this "basic" check will give you a clue if it's optified or not. For installed package, you can use "dpkg -L packagename" to get a list of installed files.
Thanks for the reply,.

I'm going to temporary enable Devel just for this app, happy to test. Do I report any feedback/bugs/etc in the "garage"? Is that also, where I can vote for things to get them promoted to Testing (or does that only work for Testing --> Extras)?

Cheers.

[Edit] Ok, installed it, but don't know if I'm being stupid but when I create a new Memo, and select not to add it as a child to the selected (so surely it's a parent, it seems to be indented the same as the previous child nodes. It's not clear to me, how the nodes are related, i.e. which are parents and which are children. Sorry if I'm completely missing something here or being dim. This app is pretty cool, and I could see it being very useful to me in the future, thank you for taking the time to develop this.

Last edited by Dexter1759; 2010-02-05 at 16:00.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by arkanoid View Post
There is no text note functionality in Xournal, or do i miss something?
Text input is in other ports of Xournal. Aniello says that he is planning on adding that functionality in future versions of the n900 port.

However, I don't know if Xournal text input is as optimized for note-taking as it is in Maemopad+...

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post: