Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
being honest such stockholders would be the stupidest stockholders in the world if they want such things....
No one cares in the business world about old fashioned stockholders anymore. Hedge funds go in to some instrument and go out. It doesn't matter what company does, if there is quick profit to be made.
The biggest owners may not care what Nokia will be in the future, if they can make quick +20% from any fancy move like going to WP7.

Long term investors better look other companies than Nokia.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Adding a basic Android application compatibility layer to Symbian and MeeGo may be a solution that keeps everyone happy - Nokia can dip their toe into the Android eco-system without the risk of losing their identity or control of their own platforms.

Only provide enough compatibility to run the majority of the more popular apps but continue down the native Qt route as the primary application platform. Once Qt on Symbian and MeeGo has found it's feet, drop Android app support - classic bait and switch. Or maybe even keep it going if it makes sense, it will be an advantage Android-alone can't easily match.

Apart from Android, none of the other competing operating systems - WebOS, WP7 - have an eco-system worth snot.

Reading a few of the newspaper internet articles since the Elop comments the view is that it will be Android rather than WP7 which Nokia may move towards so have an Android application compatibility to symbian & meego o/s may make sense.

However is there any short term benefit in not just having a full blown Android O/S?

interesting that Nokia apparently spend as much as google and Apple combined on development and you just have to wonder where all that money goes looking at the present state of symbian. and to a lesser extend meego?

I would guess that next month there will be ONE MEEGO device launched and it's something else we have seen so far. No qwerty in this stage. Reformatted N9 will come later this year maybe october or so.

This guess is based on what those Nokia directors have said in last three months. But it will definetly be MEEGO with Nokia own UI which has something new. WHAT? I don't know.

Let's see how it goes

Last edited by koivjann; 2011-01-29 at 08:16.

Well, what about simple solution?

This big "new strategy" may be just official presentation of MeeGo.

- "Create" new OS - MeeGo
- "Catalyse" Qt layer
- "Join" - Intel cooperation

All bases covered.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
My two cents: there's simply too little of anything specific in that story, that Nokia might as well be shifting towards farming unicorns in a la-la-land far far away.

You can interpret that story any way you want!

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
However is there any short term benefit in not just having a full blown Android O/S?
I'm sure there would be short term benefit - it would get analysts and engadget commentards off the back of Nokia for a start! - and may even result in additional smartphone sales in North America (in fact almost certainly would) but longer term how does Nokia then STOP selling Android based devices if they're selling like hot-cakes, and out-selling Symbian and/or MeeGo?

A full-on Android phone could well be the end of Nokia as we know it, I think, as the genie will be out of the bottle.

If Nokia are desperate for a successful eco-system, better that Nokia give customers what they crave from Android - ie. a vast array of apps, which is something Symbian and MeeGo currently lacks - as a short term solution until Qt is standing on it's own two feet.

Go the whole hog with Android and the short term gain will turn into a long term loss.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2011-01-28 at 20:10.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@millhouse: long term loss?

more like a long term profit with lower risk.

there's no guarantee that MeeGo will gain traction in the current market which is app-oriented. Nokia has a real *****y track record in that regard. if they mess MeeGo up, then it's a waste of a few years before they have to redo things (either with symbian or android).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
My two cents: there's simply too little of anything specific in that story, that Nokia might as well be shifting towards farming unicorns in a la-la-land far far away.

You can interpret that story any way you want!
Thank you.
I don't quite understand how so many did immediately jump to the "they are going for other OS!" bandwagon.
It's corporate talk that in the end can really mean anything, or nothing.

I'm not saying Nokia going for Android or WP7 is impossible, but i find so many other things to be much more likely happen than drastic jump from MeeGo, not to even talk about Symbian in CMD.

Btw this was also part of earnings call transcript from the Q4 reports where the Elop line was also taken.
To streamline and accelerate our progress, we announced in early Q4 that we would unify our internal development efforts around Qt development platform. We fully transitioned to Qt development for out Ovi services and I am pleased to see that things are starting to move faster.

Whatever the announcement will be i can promise you that the years and the money spent for Qt is already way too much to scrap it all and again wait for years and huge amounts of cash spent again to scrap deals with chip manufacturers, make new deals, software done, acquiring new people and start to build new infrastructure for new OS where other manufacturers are already way ahead.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@millhouse: long term loss?

more like a long term profit with lower risk.
Nokia lose their ability to control their own destiny, becoming just another Android hardware vendor, struggling to differentiate their product from everyone else punting an Android device.

And have you seen the profit that Moto and SE are making? Virtually naff all, and actually selling fewer units than they were 3 years ago (Moto -35%, SE -29%). Android is a race to the bottom, it's acknowledged that the real profit is in proprietary operating systems and the companies that control their own OS (iOS, RIM, Nokia).

There is NO guarantee of profit with Android, certainly not substantial profit. And the risk is huge, as the number of cheap Chinese Android manufacturers is growing every day, and all with products that look very similar (or better) than the more established but higher priced vendors. It's a dog-eat-dog Android world.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
there's no guarantee that MeeGo will gain traction in the current market which is app-oriented. Nokia has a real *****y track record in that regard. if they mess MeeGo up, then it's a waste of a few years before they have to redo things (either with symbian or android).
Agreed, which is why they can't stuff it up.

But perhaps adding an Android app compatibility layer will buy them more time without selling out completely - it's a compromise I could accept.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2011-01-28 at 20:26.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Agree Milhouse.

In the end aren't we looking for a phone we want over here? Android is already as crowded as it can and it's pretty much two manufacturers game, Samsung and HTC, while Moto, LG and have posted disappointing Q4 results while Nokia's profits where above of them all. Before anybody says by no means i'm trying to somehow defend Nokia because we all know the state Nokia is in.

I want something unique, like what Apple got with it's iphone. Imo change like that would kill Nokia as it has always been about OS and devices that are different from other manufacturers. Why would i care about Nokia if they where just one more Android manufacturer?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org