Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
For example if the "N9" had a 12mp camera, Xenon flash, 1.3ghz processor, 1gb ram, 1gb rom, 32gb HD, 4in Super AMOLED capacitive screen, Penta band 3G, a 1500mah battery and 4row qwerty keyboard I would soo pay $750 for it.
If Nokia builds it... you will pay that much.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
It seems like some people in this thread switch their phone at the same rate they replace their socks. Personally, I expect to use the same device for at least 3 years, except under extraordinary circumstances.

By the time my N900 would be 3 years old, the N9 would become old news and 2nd-gen Meego devices would already be around. By that time, I would see want's available and pick the device that looks best for me. Brand loyalty is not a consideration for me. I picked the N900 not because it's Nokia but because it looked like the best phone for me. It could be another Nokia, and it could be another phone entirely.

Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
My plan all along was to get Nokia's first MeeGo device. The problem is my commitment to Nokia is starting to wane and my eyes are staring to wander...Main reasons are that there have been barely any leaks for the "N9" mainly all being a videos on the MeeGo handset UI itsself. Seeing phones such as SE's X10, Samsung EPIC 4G(hoping a GSM version is released) and the Vibrant is making me impatient. What do you guys think will happen first? Nokia's MeeGo handset is announced/released, SE's X10 gets a Froyo update or a GSM version of Epic 4G is made? I really want some sort of confirmation from Nokia that their MeeGo handset will be AWESOME and include a slideout QWERTY keyboard. The last thing I want to do is get anything but Nokia for my next device. How are others handling this situation?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sela For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
A few here are looking at the Samsung Galaxy-S (Vibrant). I recommend you wait until we see what they do with the software update in September. There are MAJOR issues with this phone. It does work, but frequently locks up (often requiring a battery removal), has GPS problems, and is often slow and unresponsive. And if you're used to the open feel of the N900, forget it when you switch to locked-down Android. T-mobile has removed tethering in all forms, there's no HID Bluetooth profile, and there's several programs that cannot be removed.

Also, Skype signed some exclusive deal with Verizon, so there is no Skype client for Android unless you're on Verizon.

I'm sure the tethering and bloatware can be resolved with a rooting, but I'd rather wait until after the update (and I haven't seen a good howto for people running Linux... most of the "one click root" programs are Windows only).

And to top it all off, here in the U.S, T-Mobile changes your data plan to an Android plan. They say there's no difference, and I am still able to use my SIM on the N900, but it seems like I have to restart the T-mobile data connection more than I used to before.

But the screen/form factor is much nicer. I like my N900, but it is just too small for my meathook hands. I really like having my Slingbox back on the phone (and it looks great), the Kindle reader, and the web browser renders very well. I'm still looking for a good podcast client, and media player that works as well as the N900's, but the bundled player isn't bad, it just doesn't support enough file formats.

So the best phone so far is the SamsungNokia Galaxy-N900.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
@Eric G:
You don't understanding the topic, are you?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Built in? I truly doubt it. Stuff like Dolphin exists now though... and that's based off of the Mozilla. But... dunno. Gingerbread might get Chrome (I hope not).
1) What is meant by "full browser"? Aren't the browsers on Android "full browsers?" They aren't using WAP or some translation or degraded rendering or anything. So, I'm confused by the question. Near as I can tell, the Android browser is a full browser as is the HTC Internet browser (webkit based, just like Safari, Tear, etc).
2) Dolphin exists, that's Gecko engine (Mozilla/Firefox based) sure
3) There's also Fennec for Android coming soon (although, if you're just THAT impatient, you could go and get it now at http://groups.google.com/group/fennec-android-pre-alpha)
4) And if you liked Opera Mini 5.x on the N8x0 and N900, they scratched that itch too: http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2010/07/14/

I dare say there's a veritable PLETHORA of web browsers available for Android. At least one or two of them HAVE to qualify as a "full" web browser for crying out loud. If not, I'll boil this lobster alive and eat him, see if I won't!

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Bangkok
I love my N900 but Maemo is Dead and i think Meego is NOT PRETTY WORK.

I try 2 Android Phones last week, Samsung Galaxy S.
- it's bester more than legacy Samsung but it's "NOT Ease of Use" Android 1.6 - 2.2 lag of "User Friendly"

- x VGA or Higher Display Screen Android is not support, now it's look like ... "Not Shining Screen" may be Android Theme.

- iPhone it's bester ... look like "Old Man Standing" 4 Generations but not things new

I not try Meego or Android phone in couple years.

(may be going back to Nokia 3310 or Sony-Ericsson T610) :P

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What is meant by "full browser"?
You know, I've been bouncing that very question around for a while, but I have to propose that a "full browser" is more akin to a mobile browser that renders your favorite websites in the same manner as a desktop version without triggering mobile versions or having to override that behavior.

Just my 30,000ft take on that subject. And in that case, the built-in browser for Android fails, whereas Dolphin really doesn't.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Let's see. So far I have bought

--an ancient Nokia phone
--an N800
--an N810
--two N900s
--Oh, I almost forgot, a N500, a GPS device.

So, I'm tired of Nokia and its attitude and they will lose me as a customer.

I'll find some other phone to buy. I'm confident something will come along. I'll try not to announce it here. I'm tired of those threads too. I'm in no hurry.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Sorry, what does that mean exactly?
Too slow for what? Have you even seen its video demo?

I hope we're not going back to the Mhz-war era.
I had it in my hands, i wanted to buy it, yes i have seen the video reviews, and 6XX menas each X is a number from 0 - 9, because i dont remember the exact number, but you know what if you want it buy it, its not my money so go nuts with it.

624mhz Marvell CPU - but RIM's OS is a bit leaner than the others out there.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by CYPHERC View Post
I had it in my hands, i wanted to buy it, yes i have seen the video reviews, and 6XX menas each X is a number from 0 - 9, because i dont remember the exact number, but you know what if you want it buy it, its not my money so go nuts with it.
Yanno.. that's what several people here told me when I had a wad of cash and I was annoyed with waiting for Nokia to poop out the next device to properly replace my N800. I ended up buying a Dell Mini9 and a Motorola Droid. Combined, the two of them have done EVERYTHING I needed (podcast hosting with my mini9, Firefox and Talkshoe was GREAT, in addition to everything Ubuntu and VERY portable! My Android is just an incredibly excellent phone). But when the N900 came out, it was NOT a suitable replacement for either my N800 nor even my Dell Mini9. Muito triste. So--I await the next good pocketable portable computer.

So yeah, basically... if you someone to go spend their money elsewhere, they probably will. Good thing you're at maemo.org!