Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
Very nice at this price (esp. the one with screen protector). I just wonder if it would be a bit troublesome to take off the back case every time to retrieve the battery/uSD/sim.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
Not sure if this should go to this thread, the thread has become so long now. :-)

After experiencing LCD screen got fractured, which cost me close to $200 to fix, I don't want to experience that again. So I am looking a way to protect my N900. The only thing I can think of is to get a case for it, so I try to find out which kind of case will protect the N900 better? The problem is I am not sure how the LCD screen get fractured, considering the outer touch screen is perfectly fine. So not sure whether it is because pressure to the screen, or because the phone bump to something. Here are 2 kind of case I found:

PDair Leather Case, which I think should be good to protect the phone from bumping or falling, but not sure how it protect the screen from pressure.

PDair Aluminum Case, which I think should be good to protect the screen from pressure, but not sure how it protect the phone from bumping and falling, since it may still transmit the vibration to the phone.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by 009N View Post
Very nice at this price (esp. the one with screen protector). I just wonder if it would be a bit troublesome to take off the back case every time to retrieve the battery/uSD/sim.
if it's anything like the otterbox it's a pain, but once you get the knack, it's not too bad.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by arifsaha View Post
Not sure if this should go to this thread, the thread has become so long now. :-)

After experiencing LCD screen got fractured, which cost me close to $200 to fix, I don't want to experience that again. So I am looking a way to protect my N900. The only thing I can think of is to get a case for it, so I try to find out which kind of case will protect the N900 better? The problem is I am not sure how the LCD screen get fractured, considering the outer touch screen is perfectly fine. So not sure whether it is because pressure to the screen, or because the phone bump to something. Here are 2 kind of case I found:

PDair Leather Case, which I think should be good to protect the phone from bumping or falling, but not sure how it protect the screen from pressure.

PDair Aluminum Case, which I think should be good to protect the screen from pressure, but not sure how it protect the phone from bumping and falling, since it may still transmit the vibration to the phone.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
The 1st one might be okay, if you're sure you need something covering the screen at all times.
The latter is well documented in this thread as being a poor option, at least from a usability standpoint.

I think you've just been unlucky...
You don't need a case that covers the screen at all times, just get a pouch to supplement the case/skin.

Plenty of examples on this thread, happy reading.

Originally Posted by arifsaha View Post

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Otterbox is very good one. http://www.otterbox.com/Nokia-N900-C...efault,pd.html

If you want full protection , you can combine otterbox and a pouch similar to http://www.etsy.com/listing/39948319/cell-phone-case-closes-with-a-leather?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=icuty&ga_ search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title&filter[0]=handmade

The pouch should absorb the bumping/falling impact 1st before reaching otterbox

can anyone tell me where can i get the flexishield skin case for n900 here in the US, i dont mind cutting the screen part...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37481

The Clear-coat Screen Protector is transparecy enough to do not make the proximity sensor works?

I have one that wasn't clear enough and make the proximity sensor works everytime (annoying).

I want to know if the Clear-coat need to open a hole on the proximity and front camera or not?

Grettings.

Originally Posted by csaba93 View Post
I first had an original leather case made by Nokia, but it was very big and hard to slide into my pocket, so i got one of these hard plastic crystal cases, and its brilliant, it protects the phone when its dropped and it slip into pocket well,and it isn't very thick when installed on the phone... i find it very practical, and it only cost me about €3 on ebay. It is a really good case and fits perfectly, easily removable and it even looks good... i really like it and I recommend this case to anyone looking for a case.
I have a similar hard plastic crystal case(also from ebay). The protection is good and I also like the fit and feel of it. However, as reported by others, unfortunately, after about 1 month or so of usage, the tiny clip on the upper half has started to loss its gripe.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
The latter is well documented in this thread as being a poor option, at least from a usability standpoint.
I see. I agree that the aluminum case will have mechanical issue as part of wear and tear. Also I think the having the cover open to the bottom of keyboard is a poor design choice.

Do you know if the leather case's screen cover hard enough to reduce / spread pressure on it?

I think you've just been unlucky...
Well, this my second smart phones that have fractured screen, and I only have 2 smart phones so far. :-(

You don't need a case that covers the screen at all times, just get a pouch to supplement the case/skin.
Well, pouch will be a separate stuff and I am forgetful enough that I think I will likely forgot the pouch from time to time. Furthermore the pouch will not protect the phone if it slip out from my hand when I am using it. Considering my trend of breaking smart phone's screen, I think I need all the protection I can get. :-) As long as the phone still usable, that is.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
The PDair aluminum case is very strange. Just wonder if they have actually tested using it.
I don't have a good impression of PDAir's products in general. I once bought one book-style side open leather case and one stylus for my old devices. The layers on the leather top cover of the case began to split along the edge after just 6 months of use! The stylus was worthless as the tip broke off when it dropped from my desk, which has never happened to all other stylii I've had. I couldn't repair them even with those strongest instant glue as they fell apart easily.
Speaking of case, I just wish if ExtremeLimit had made one for this phone. They made very robust, well-designed and stylish cases in the past. They are a bit expensive but are definitely worth the money. But the company seems to have been out of business for long.
http://www.extreme-limit.co.jp/english/index.html
[Correction: just found they have a new japanese site. The link above seems obsolete.
http://www.extremelimit.jp/ ]

Pielfarma is also an excellent choice, but they only have cases for N8 and X6 and not N900.
http://www.pielframa.com/

Another question about the skins. Is it a concern of overheating when the phone is OCed?

Last edited by 009N; 2010-12-06 at 05:58. Reason: correction

Tags
accessories, accessory, case, gear, holster, n900, pouch, protection, screen protector