Active Topics

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Thanks guys! This is what a community should be. This is why i now have ordered a N900. I have peaked at the droid community and could not find much. That might change.. anyway you are the best!

Now i just need to figure out or find an OS that just run the core phone functions and dual boot with Maemo. So i can save battery.

That is might be litte ot and should be discussed in another topic.
Welcome! We are unix hackers, embedded hardware designers and curious tweakers. I've had my n900 (first Nokia device in 10 years) for about a month now and it's the coolest piece of tech I've owned in ages.

A debian box in your pocket.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Why are you comparing here the Prozessors?

The most of the time is the N900 running at 250MHz, not 600MHz... don't think about Prozessor speed. Think about the Battery!
Hear Hear. I used to develop software for hi-tech watches and I think the lessons hold true for most battery powered devices. For us, the struggle was not to have a fast processor but low idle power consumption and how often could be keep the processor idle. Anything above 1% average CPU consumption was considered bad. So yes, snapdragon may have a faster clock speed than A8 but what would be more important to us is how efficient is the pipeline and power consumption, though of course thanks to Intel, most device manufacturers would push frequency over efficiency (easier to use one number than explaining the detail)

why are many discussion the mhz/ghz here.. my next phone after the N900 needs to be a dual core. if i just look where i wait the most on on my N900 then a few mhz more will not help me..

so many times some application takes to much cpu that for example if the phone rings its very hard to pickup the phone because of lack of cpu cycles.

if i see what the dual core brought me on the desktop, then thats what i want on the phone, programs dont have to really run faster (if it now cost 5 seconds and a faster cpu brings that down to 3 then that still means that everything has to wait 3 seconds which is an eternithy). but ui input should always have cpu cycles for it to handle even if another program is now using a lot...

but the next device wont be a Cortex A9, cant believe that yet. but i guess it will be a sligtly faster A8 and hopefully it will be a omap36x version (45nm)
and then the next device after that one is a dual core A9...

The Following User Says Thank You to jcompagner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
FYI, the Maemo6 UI library[1] is already available in the extras-devel repository, install the dui-demos packages if you want to see the performance of some demos running in the N900

[1] -http://maemo.org/packages/search/?org_maemo_packages_search[1][property]=name&org_maemo_packages_search[1][constraint]=LIKE&org_maemo_packages_search[1][value]=dui

From Ari Jaaksi blog

"Will there be a full MeeGo port on N900? I'm pretty sure there will be a MeeGo port on N900 for those who wanna play with it. There is also an Andoid, Mac, ..and god knows what ports available. It is an open devivice. N900 will run a lot of MeeGo apps ... and developers and users will fully utilize it."

(http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2010/02/t...83825241288872)

Interpret this as you want, but for me, this means no official distribution of MeeGo for the N900, unless it is a provided through hacking by the community.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
From Ari Jaaksi blog

"Will there be a full MeeGo port on N900? I'm pretty sure there will be a MeeGo port on N900 for those who wanna play with it. There is also an Andoid, Mac, ..and god knows what ports available. It is an open devivice. N900 will run a lot of MeeGo apps ... and developers and users will fully utilize it."

(http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2010/02/t...83825241288872)

Interpret this as you want, but for me, this means no official distribution of MeeGo for the N900, unless it is a provided through hacking by the community.
Exactly. Which to me is a bunch of crap.

Originally Posted by Kajko View Post
Exactly. Which to me is a bunch of crap.
Repeating what I wrote in another thread: "Maybe it isn't clear, but the reason people is asking for Maemo 6 on their N900 is because the OS itself is perceived to be lacking in many areas, and they would rather have an official, Nokia launch of the new software, instead of waiting for the community to pick up the job (which may or may not happen quickly).

Consider also that Maemo is so far monolithic, if there is a bug in, let's say, Modest, so far you won't be able to install Maemo 6 Modest, you need the whole block of the OS. That's a situation that presented itself in Diablo and the whole "Fixed in Fremantle" issue. "

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Consider also that Maemo is so far monolithic, if there is a bug in, let's say, Modest, so far you won't be able to install Maemo 6 Modest, you need the whole block of the OS. That's a situation that presented itself in Diablo and the whole "Fixed in Fremantle" issue. "
You certainly can update any of the (open source) components whenever you want. Nokia are only pushing out the updates in monolithic patch-sets, but there's nothing preventing you from compiling & installing your own fixed version before then (someone has already put up their own repository for doing just this).

Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
what is harmattan bring to the table that maemo 5 doesnt already do...

i really just thought the aim for that was more towards the older tablets since the hardware was dated in comparison to the n900
It will bring the most important and most missed feature : FULL PORTRAIT MODE

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by messus View Post
It will bring the most important and most missed feature : FULL PORTRAIT MODE
Not really. But also some fixes for IMAP email. (store send messages on the server)

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade