Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
You can't really compare a 1Ghz snapdragon to a 600Mhz Arm A8 using clock speed alone, they are completely different processors and those numbers don't really mean much of anything unless you compare them to processors of the same family.
If you look at Android on the Nexus One and Maemo on the n900 you would be hard pressed to find a performance difference, because the major difference is the operating system.
Also we already know from the M6 slideshow that the next device will be built on the same hardware platform, OMAP3, OpenGL ES, etc. It also specifies that multitouch will be available for capacitive touchscreen devices. indicating that it will also still support resistive touchscreen devices (Why wouldn't it?). This means the is no reason to assume that Nokia would need to maintain two maemo for two architectures.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Ajflex: Read my post again. I wasn't flaiming. I love the openess of Maemo but still this is a device i will use for at least 3 years. I will not use the same OS for 3 years. It is great that Maemo 6 will come to the N900. That might make it worth it.. but i do not think it is enough.

Capacitive or resisitive is nothing i care about and i hate Apple. Where did you se me write about that?

Originally Posted by ajflex View Post
AlMehdi speak for yourself
i thick n900 is very powerful and can run maemo 6 and beyond
stop killing new product your problem that it is resistive screen dis and advantage each technology is different i prefer resistive because you use figure and stylus and physical keyboard capacitive only finger that's why multi touch

stop comparing iPhone with the (super computer) Nokia n900
all we need is maemo 6 and more apps much much more game
the n900 is the best thing since the Nokia n95 and the e90 in my option

Thanks! You read and understod what i was asking.

So you meant the snapdragon can be compaired with Arm A8 in speed? I have not tried to compair them before but now i might do so. If what you say is true. It would be wonderful.

Do you know the differens in bus speed of the two systems?

My fear though is that 600Mhz is little in the long run. It might be okey for the Maemo5 and 6 but what about the future?

If i get a device with 1000Mhz i will increase my chance of using the latest and best. If the updates of Maemo stop after version 6 i will need to try other OS's like Ubuntu (Arm) and here 600Mhz could be to slow. I know fennec is under development and will get better. The browser will be my most used device. I will get Java and Flash support.

This things need power.

Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
You can't really compare a 1Ghz snapdragon to a 600Mhz Arm A8 using clock speed alone, they are completely different processors and those numbers don't really mean much of anything unless you compare them to processors of the same family.
If you look at Android on the Nexus One and Maemo on the n900 you would be hard pressed to find a performance difference, because the major difference is the operating system.
Also we already know from the M6 slideshow that the next device will be built on the same hardware platform, OMAP3, OpenGL ES, etc. It also specifies that multitouch will be available for capacitive touchscreen devices. indicating that it will also still support resistive touchscreen devices (Why wouldn't it?). This means the is no reason to assume that Nokia would need to maintain two maemo for two architectures.

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-02-11 at 11:23.

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
What I am saying is that a 600mhz Arm processor can be just as fast as a 1000mhz snapdragon processor depending on what it is doing. Honestly though what happens after Maemo 6? I think that if you are looking to buy a phone that will still be top line after 3 or 4 years down the road, you will be engaging in an exercise in futility. There is always something better on the horizon in this industry.

There is NO phone that exists right now that will run a desktop linux distro like ubuntu at what most would consider a reasonable speed.

AlMehdi no offence

Nokia over all its my thing

1ghz snapdragon vs arm cortex a8 processor

Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8650 RISC Chipset
Simplified Technical Specifications

Type: Snapdragon QSD8650
Manufacturer: Qualcomm
Year Released: 2007
Predecessor: 32bit Qualcomm MSM7600
Characteristics
CPU Structure (complexity): RISC
Width of Machine Word: 32 bit
Primary (RAM) Data bus: 32 bit
Instruction Set
Supported Instruction Set(s): ARMv7
CPU Core: Qualcomm Scorpion
Clock Frequencies
Recommanded Maximum Clock Frequency: 1000 MHz
Technology
Semiconductor Technology: CMOS
Minimum Feature Size: 65 nm
Additional Details
Special Features: Embedded 600MHz DSP (GSM, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS/WCDMA, HSDPA, HSUPA, MBMS, CDMA2000 1xRTT, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. 1, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. B, baseband), Embedded Seventh-generation gpsOne GPS module, gpsOneXTRA Assistance
Datasheet Time: Apr 22, 09 0:21:59

ARM Cortex-A8 RISC Microprocessor
Simplified Technical Specifications

Type: Cortex-A8
Manufacturer: ARM
Year Released: 2005
Predecessor: 32bit ARM 1176JZ-S
Characteristics
CPU Structure (complexity): RISC
Width of Machine Word: 32 bit
Address bus: 32 bit
Primary (RAM) Data bus: 32 bit
Instruction Set
Supported Instruction Set(s): ARMv7-A
CPU Core: ARM Cortex
Caches
Level 1 cache: 32KiB data cache / 32 KiB instruction cache
Level 2 cache: 1024 KiB
Technology
Semiconductor Technology: CMOS
Minimum Feature Size: 65 nm
Additional Details
Instruction Execution Performance: 2000 million instructions per second @ 1000MHz
Special Features: Superscalar processor, Configurable L1 and L2 cache sizes, 13-stage pipeline, FPU, MMU, AMBA 3.0 AXI bus, NEON Media Processing technology, ARM Thumb-2 Technology, ARM TrustZone Technology, ARM CoreSight, ARM Jazelle RCT
Datasheet Time: Sep 4, 07 17:10:

Last edited by ajflex; 2010-02-11 at 23:42.

look carefully that the cortex arm 8a have fastest cache 1 mb
that is than snapdragon have cache 256 kb not as fast as the cortex

the arm cortex a8 is more powerful than the snapdragon.
and much much more feature has you can see

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Why are you comparing here the Prozessors?

The most of the time is the N900 running at 250MHz, not 600MHz... don't think about Prozessor speed. Think about the Battery!

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
This is a user-perception thing. Battery parameters don't sell devices, GHz is much better from a marketing perspective. You would have thought since desktop processors made clock speed far less relevant people would would not buy into the same selling pitch again. Apparently they still do :S

Thanks guys! This is what a community should be. This is why i now have ordered a N900. I have peaked at the droid community and could not find much. That might change.. anyway you are the best!

Now i just need to figure out or find an OS that just run the core phone functions and dual boot with Maemo. So i can save battery.

That is might be litte ot and should be discussed in another topic.

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade