Active Topics

Uh, stop right here.

What makes you think it's 'open source' and 'not locking you in'??

I'm almost entirely sure that the UI will be closed-source.

As for the 'walled garden' part, that remains to be seen. Is there a community OBS/repo?

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
All in all, the UI looks great. It is open source and not locking you in a walled garden. The features and hardware seem good. I'm all in and can't wait to have it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
A-GPS usually means cell-tower only. The N900 has GPS and uses A-GPS to get a faster lock.

From the specs the N9 ONLY has A-GPS. If I don't have a local SIM card (which means I can not talk to local towers) I don't know how A-GPS would work.
A-GPS= regular GPS + cell tower triangulation.

There is no way to have A-GPS only. All A-GPS hardware can do basic GPS as well. It's just slower to get the initial lock in. You are propably confusing this with phones that require data connection because they don't have GPS mapping data stored on the phone, and require data connection for constant map streaming.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post

The PowerVR drivers will definitely not be open source either.

As for the 'walled garden' part, that remains to be seen. Is there a community OBS/repo?
this is a question i have been asking for a long time; will the n9 use project bretzn?

I want an answer.

Uh, stop right here.

Not at all, libmeegotouch (and presumably qt-components) are open source. I expect the theme to remain proprietary (images + a small amount of readable CSS).

To all

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3598

Qqil provides some answers there and below

Questions asked in my blog:

Are there any details of how open / hacker-friendly it is? A bit of Googling hasn’t brought anything up. E.g:

> can I open a terminal, wget an unsigned package file and install it?

I haven't tried, but you can do it this way if you have all the pieces: terminal app (it's open source and maintained) and wget (not sure if it comes with Busybox out of the idem). I'm installing packages directly from the browser, by clicking .deb links. Very convenient. This is not the behavior by default but you can enable it through the settings UI.

> can I submit a bug report or patch that may get into a firmware update?

Yes, but give us a bit of extra time to post the URL.

> are any of the N9′s applications open source?

The default approach is to have a Nokia proprietary UX layer including the applications.

> can I run Python / PHP in the terminal?

If someone ports the libraries, yes.

> are standard bash/busybox/GNU tools available?

Busybox 3:1.19-7+0m6

Right, so Busybox and bash appear as green (upgraded compared from Fremantle) while wget is blue (available in Harmattan, was not there in Fremantle).

The sources are available at http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/harmattan-beta/

The community contributions are expected to be delivered through apps.meego.com and the related MeeGo community OBS, both having a MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan target. More at http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_Apps

Users need to install the Terminal app. Installing packages and their repositories is trivial through the browser, though.

The open/closed approach continues being open platform (maybe with exceptions) and closed UX. If there is a components that appears closed and you want to see open RIGHT NOW is the best time to start discussing. The best argumentation is that the MeeGo project is interested in integrate that functionality, as it has been the case for over a year now.

About how the meego.com and nokia.com repos will coexist: as you can see them already now? MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan uses its own infrastructure (just like all vendors are expected to have their own infra, even if they are 100% MeeGo compliant). The community apps can have a common public interface thanks to Community OBS and apps.meego.com cleverness.

Last edited by Frappacino; 2011-06-21 at 09:03.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zymo View Post
GPS and navigation
Integrated GPS, A-GPS receivers
I wish they were more clear:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...cations/N9-00/

I prefer the way the Maemo / N900 site : http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/

Integrated GPS, Assisted-GPS, and Cell-based receivers

Less ambiguous if you ask me.

Last edited by geohsia; 2011-06-21 at 09:12.

Originally Posted by law138 View Post
The last time i saw you on the forum was when the n900 was coming out lol. I need to know do you think the web browser on the n9 is better then the the one on the n900 also do you think there will be a way to download flash in the the browser from the nokia marketplace or any other possible way?
Browsing is simplistic but super-smooth and enjoyable, microb looks really slow and cumbersome in comparison. Expect third party browsers for feature junkies. I bet a certain long-eared mammal will make an appearance.

Lack of Flash of course can be limiting, but whenever HTML5 video is supported, the experience is 500% better. No battery sucking, senseless Flash ads and gimmicks is a bonus... Not saying that Flash support is not generally a good thing, but it's also always a mess on mobile phones (I'm saying this as a part-time Flash game developer).

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
Peter,

to pick up on my previous post, will it be possible to install a "terminal" bash like application?
only could look at the quick swipes but couldn't see an [$_] icon...

or will we need to fall back to a jailbreak like solution (SSH & all that crap)?
Of course you can install a terminal, and there will be the usual suspects (bash, vi, etc. Don't quote me on the specifics but it's a Linux environment alright).

Utterly ridiculous.

If you want an iPhone, go and buy it.

An also-ran iPhone clone from Nokia is a giant DO NOT WANT.

As far as I can see, there is absolutely nothing in the N9 that hasn't been done by the iPhone better, cheaper and earlier.
Ah, okay. Let's see.

- "Jailbreak" is a disclaimer away, rather than a hack away.

- A beautifully solid piece of hardware.

- No front-facing buttons, intuitive swipe UI.

- Tight integration of a large number of social services into contacts, dialer, global presence, and so on.

- True multi-tasking with excellent UI for it.

- Better camera.

- Call quality / no interrupted signal etc.

- A great notifications system (iOS is adding something similar now, but neither better, nor cheaper, nor earlier).

- NFC

The list could go on, but I think your claim has been sufficiently refuted. The duel between the iPhone and the N9 will be a worthy one. N9 is lacking the apps (and possibly future), but is clearly superior in many other regards.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland