Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
How do we know that exFAT is optimised for flash storage if the details are a trade secret? Because Microsoft says so?
No idea. But I wouldn't be surprised if SD consortium does construct hardware with some benefits for exFAT. I really hope F2FS will be completed soon, but so far Samsung doesn't seem to rush it.

Jolla responded, but just acknowledging the request: https://together.jolla.com/question/...#post-id-67564

Hopefully they'll say something more detailed on this matter later.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
What do people here think a good compromise would be then?

Originally Posted by From Vertu with Love View Post
What do people here think a good compromise would be then?
I think the "let people buy their own exFAT" solution is a good one. That's just me though.

Originally Posted by Tigerroast View Post
I think the "let people buy their own exFAT" solution is a good one. That's just me though.
Yeah, I agree. It's the best compromise and if it's feasible (legally and etc.) should be the direction for them to take.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I was under the impression that reformatting an SD card isn't exactly a technical feat.
I meant to chime in in a similar tune. Remember the now almost forgotten days when Macs were the bees' knees? It was also the time when floppies ruled the world. All new floppies you bought came pre-formatted with FAT. If you put such a floppy in your Mac, the first thing it would do was asking you to "initialize" the floppy. I see no reason why Jolla could not do the same with exFAT-formatted SD cards.

@Vertu, that is my answer to your question too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
If ever possible (what I definitely not believe!) the buy-your-exFAT would be the best. But -as said- this is not the way it will be
Even this may not be liked by a lot:
we/you should also recognize that the Jolla is not a niche product, sold only to 'nerds'. If they would have aimed at that market only we would not have this device at all.
So I am not happy with that M$ license, too. But will accept Jolla to want to claim their SDXC compatibility for advertisement reasons.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
I meant to chime in in a similar tune. Remember the now almost forgotten days when Macs were the bees' knees? It was also the time when floppies ruled the world. All new floppies you bought came pre-formatted with FAT. If you put such a floppy in your Mac, the first thing it would do was asking you to "initialize" the floppy. I see no reason why Jolla could not do the same with exFAT-formatted SD cards.
I didn't even think of that. That seems more realistic than "buy your exFAT."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tigerroast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I see no reason why Jolla could not do the same...
Think again.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I didn't even think of that. That seems more realistic than "buy your exFAT."
Yes, more realistic and no (big) problem for 'us'. But think at the non-tech-savy people that want to use that card as overall exchange medium. Put it in your Win device and getting asked to format (again)?
FAT32 (as the overall file system) has the 4GB file size limit.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulks