Notices

Originally Posted by ukki View Post
So this happens with the 0.3 client from -devel? Does
Code:
gconftool-2 -u /apps/knots/last_server
fix it? I'll try to fix that tomorrow.
That fixed it! Thanks..

One more thing.

I went ahead and purchased a flatrate dataplan for my n900, so I could stream my entire mp3 collection to the n900 via 3g.

I reckon I should've tried making the server chew through the 24000 mp3's before I did so

The server is an Eeebox with an atom 1.6gh cpu and 1gb ram.

After approx 11 hours it was around 95% done, but the system was totally unresponsive and something was causing error dialogs to pop up saying something involving ffmpeg which couldn't do what it was supposed to.

Other running services on the computer had started malfunctioning as well.

Therefore I had to reboot it at around 98% scanning (judging by the slowly growing number items in the collection). Upon reboot I started Knots server again and using a browser as client I noticed that things didn't look well - Some of the icons (Video and two others) where showing a broken link symbol! I went to check out the database via "Browse" and omg... pretty much anything sent it into cpu consumation frenzy for ages. Although some searches came out with "No results" after just 2 seconds... but that just wasn't true - I know the search should've hit something.

Bottom line.. big collection = no go.

Can you fix that?

Puuuhlease

Heh, database may be corrupt if you had to reboot it. My advice is to start fresh and try to add all the music in smaller pieces, like putting your music to folders a-d, e-h etc. and then add several paths and scan them one at a time. Ruby seems somewhat slower on Windows and I've never tried so many items on any platform.

But you are right, there are many things to optimize and I think I'll remove the tag based browsing completely since nobody seems to care about it and it's making the browsing with paging very slow.

I have around 10k items on my Sheevaplug which has a slowish arm cpu and little memory. Browsing is too slow on it imo, but works if I set the client network timeout to something like 60 seconds. But search is quick enough so I use that.

I'll see what I can do before monday, but after that I can't promise updates for few months.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
I agree - Toss the tag based search, and optimize whatever you can.

There's just no easy way to multi-select folders in order to follow your recommendation on doing e.g. a-g folders, is there?

Btw, I'd be happy to donate some cash to the project if you got a paypal account set up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wildt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Knots basically offers the same features as playon.tv only ukki isn't charging a $39.99 subscription.
http://www.playon.tv/playon

And I agree, great applications such as this deserve to be rewarded.

You can find his donation account here. It's super easy to use.
http://nakkiboso.com/knots2/donate.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Knots basically offers the same features as playon.tv only ukki isn't charging a $39.99 subscription.
http://www.playon.tv/playon

And I agree, great applications such as this deserve to be rewarded.

You can find his donation account here. It's super easy to use.
http://nakkiboso.com/knots2/donate.html
Thanks for the notice, just donated =)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Threw a couple of pennies in the pot

Confirmation number: 0XC45179T0052271A

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wildt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wildt View Post
Threw a couple of pennies in the pot

Confirmation number: 0XC45179T0052271A
That was very generous of you! Thank you and everyone who has donated. I really appreciate it, because I know it's not easy to pay for something free

I released a new server today with some speedups. Currently it's quite impossible to speed up some things like Browse by path, so you should try to avoid it if possible. Tag your media properly and browsing will be faster.

And don't take the upcoming pause as end of Knots. I will try to continue it after I get well again. In the meantime, feel free to send in those bug reports to bug tracker.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
And don't take the upcoming pause as end of Knots. I will try to continue it after I get well again. In the meantime, feel free to send in those bug reports to bug tracker.
Good to know

BTW, I was meaning to ask you.. when pr1.2 gets released, do you have to add some code to enable gstreamer playback, or is everyhing prepared already?

Originally Posted by wildt View Post
Good to know

BTW, I was meaning to ask you.. when pr1.2 gets released, do you have to add some code to enable gstreamer playback, or is everyhing prepared already?
I can work on that tomorrow, but can't be sure it will work if/when pr1.2 will be released.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:

Tags
knots, music, streaming, video