Active Topics

Pali, there seems to be something strange with NOLO->u-boot->kernel passthrough of flags (if I understand it correctly).

The thing is, that *without* u-boot, enabling one or few R&D flags (not R&D as a whole), result in - as intended - only those enabled flags having effects. For example, if I:

Code:
--set-rd-flags=force-power-key
...then, the only change is that no matter of boot reason, my device boots fully to user mode. Boot Nokia logo gets "toolbox" N8** icon, *without* green text about kernel version, etc. No things like keyboard flickering on device activity gets enabled.

Now, if I do the same *while* using u-boot, for split second after boot everything is as it should (nokia logo with toolbox, no keyboard flickering at activity)), then, u-boot takes control and passes it to kernel. Instantly, I start to get *whole* bunch of full R&D, *including* keyboard flickering on activity, green text about kernel and hardware version, etc.

It's not a big deal, as keyboard flickering can be disabled by editing [i]/sbin/preinit/, but it clearly states, that something isn't as it should re those parameters, if using u-boot. Device thinks about full R&D mode, while it should only have some flags active.

I also hope, that it doesn't leads in having more unnecessary flags active after nolo->u-boot messup (like, serial console etc), as it would mean silent increase in battery consumption (invisible for powertop).

Please, investigate.

/Estel

Ps.

If I hear "send bug to mainstream", a bunny will die.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I do not know what you mean with full R&D mode.

R&D flags are stored in CAL in one NULL term string separated by char ','. NULL string means disabled R&D mode. There is special flag "master" which is present there if string is not NULL and do nothing. If string is not NULL then R&D mode is enabled.

keyboard flickering can be configured via config file /etc/pmconfig.

So I do not understand what you mean with full or non full R&D mode...

When some R&D flags are set, NOLO add some special ATAGS for linux kernel (serial console). Last u-boot totally ignore ATAGS from NOLO and generate them for kernel itself. Also uboot does not have CAL support, so these special ATAGS are not passed to kernel even if NOLO set it.

Because uboot generating ATAGS, you can tell to uboot what should pass to kernel. It can be configured via uboot env variables.

setup_omap_atag - 1 - for passing ATAGS
setup_console_atag - 1 - for enabling serial console
setup_boot_reason_atag - str - for overwriting boot reason
setup_boot_mode_atag - str - for overwriting boot mode

Example of usage (in uboot console) - enable serial console and enter to update MMC mode:
setenv setup_omap_atag 1
setenv setup_console_atag 1
setenv setup_boot_reason_atag pwr_key
setenv setup_boot_mode_atag update

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
it's possible to move bootmenu.img folder and boot .src in /home?

No. It must be on first eMMC partition.

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
can you share some hints to make the cssu kernel as default image in the case that MyDocs get corrupted?

Not possible, because u-boot is compiled to load configuration from first eMMC partition (MyDocs)

Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
it's possible to move bootmenu.img folder and boot .src in /home?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=580

I don't think i'm able to compile the u-boot , at least not yet

In case of eMMC corruption, it should be possible to load configuration from SD card, instead of first eMMC partition. Never tried that, though, which reminds me it's one of the things I definitelly *should* do, as it makes device free of need for flashing via external machine, for almost all cases.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,237 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
hello. i'm trying to install U-Boot via HAM but its giving error. "Unable to install U-Boot with kernel 2.6.28omap1". I have KP 52 installed.

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot